HOW DO THEY DO IT

Well rhetoric question only as I see it almost daily LOL.  Strawby has a few medications daily which are wrapped in roast chicken skin - mostly the only way, but sometimes I use liver paste, but she very quickly refuses that.  That is half a tablet sitting on top of her breakfast.  She did eat the other one, so I have that to be grateful for

1FFA2F1E-C95A-4D2B-84FA-3D45EADB0745

• Haha 6

Zara has to have 1/2 Urimav tablet morning and night and it's impossible to get the tablet to stay down even when I push it right down into her gizzards (gizzard: medical term for a long long way down her oesophagus lol), she'd just huck it up so I fixed that by dissolving it in a little water and mixing it with her meat and vegie slops...works a treat

• Like 2

I feel so blessed with Jonah. I could drop the bitterest of pills on the floor and it would be in his cakehole and gone before I even bent down to retrieve it. Floor=Score! Stussy was the same except she was very suspicious of her chewable heartworm, so I had to pretend I was giving her treatie to Jonah if she wasn't going to eat it and that always worked.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Our farm dog hated peas, so we'd hide a single pea in his dinner - a mix of leftovers and kibble - that he'd wolf down in seconds... except for one solitary shiny clean pea left in the bottom of his bowl... lol!

When I was a student vet nurse, the head nurse told me to go give a cat a pill, so I went to the cat, opened it's mouth, inserted the pill down the back, then closed it's mouth and blew gently in it's nose to make it swallow... job done, no mess, no fuss! Then the head nurse said that pilling the cat was a test, to see how I'd handle a cat that apparently was a bastard to pill... I offered to teach her my method, but she declined and just said that I was now the designated cat piller person... grrr!

T.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

It’s their superior sense of smell! Some meds are disgustingly flavoured (hello Lovan) and notorious for rejection. You could try putting it in a plain gelatine capsule (chemists stock them) or have it compounded into a flavoured suspension? I have it on good authority that chicken and fish are particularly tasty. :eat:

Also, shout out to our Papillon who used to cheek medication then spit it out behind the furniture when no one was watching and you’d find it days later.

Edit. Our compounding chemist was particularly well priced if you’d like his details.

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Boronia said:

Zara has to have 1/2 Urimav tablet morning and night and it's impossible to get the tablet to stay down even when I push it right down into her gizzards (gizzard: medical term for a long long way down her oesophagus lol), she'd just huck it up so I fixed that by dissolving it in a little water and mixing it with her meat and vegie slops...works a treat

Strawby is my little traumatised foster dog.  No way would I ever be able to (or contemplate) pushing a pill down her throat, she still waits until I have left the room before she comes in to eat her meals :cry: :cry:.  She regularly leaves part or all of a meal so I can't mix them in the food.  I just have to accept that the pills are either eaten or not :( :( 

I do have some medications compounded, @Papillon Kisses and one is really expensive (Tacrolimus) so I would be interested in the name of your chemist so I can compare, thank you.   Strawby has a Gabapentin, which is in a gelatinous capsule, daily and that is the one that is usually left on the floor!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2