Irresponsible Dog Owners Could Face Fines, Jail Time If Their Pet Attacks Someone

Deeds

I firmly agree that tougher penalties should be in place for people knowingly breaching laws... but enacting blanket bans and increased penalties with little or no fact-based information indicating that it will actually contribute to resolving an issue is NOT the way to go about it.

It appears that much of the consultation recommendation regarding that particular Bill has been summarily dismissed and it has now been presented to Parliament with little change to the original - as seems to be the case in Qld generally. Consultation of such matters in Qld is a farce... they rarely amend the original... so "consultation" is simply an exercise in being seen to "follow procedure".

If anyone is interested, here is the submission Animal Care Australia made to that consultation phase - of which I had personal input. It may open some eyes to how the QLD government is operating  with regards to animal welfare legislation in particular, and possibly other types of legislation as well. Information regarding the "taskforce" that informed the legislation proposal is especially telling.

https://www.animalcareaustralia.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/QLD_Strong-dog-laws_submission.pdf

T.

"The reforms have been met with little support by the Australian Veterinary Association (AVA) and the RSPCA"

Ummm... the RSPCA were prominent members of the "taskforce" that put together the bloody proposal. Seems stupid to now be publicly not supporting it... double standards much?

T.

RSPCA were all about banning breeds until they realised it was "deed not breed".

However I firmly believe that if your dog does attack someone then yes, you as the owner, has to pay a penalty. What they may be is debatable and depends on many factors.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Tempus Fugit said:

They haven't even banned XL Bullies, which have been so contoversial in the UK.

XL Bullies are not on our import ban list - which are essentially the breeds that QLD wants to ban. The fact that there are SFA of those actual breeds anywhere in Australia is moot. This legislation is not designed to actually be helpful to the pet owning public, just an exercise in applying more restrictive rules to attract fines, and make enforcement easier for those tasked with that role... RSPCA I'm looking at you - you can't be integral to formulating that legislation, then publicly decry it - cake and eat it anyone?

T.

• Like 1

On 18/11/2023 at 6:25 AM, tdierikx said:

XL Bullies are not on our import ban list - which are essentially the breeds that QLD wants to ban. The fact that there are SFA of those actual breeds anywhere in Australia is moot. This legislation is not designed to actually be helpful to the pet owning public, just an exercise in applying more restrictive rules to attract fines, and make enforcement easier for those tasked with that role... RSPCA I'm looking at you - you can't be integral to formulating that legislation, then publicly decry it - cake and eat it anyone?

T.

I think the RSPCA changed its stature after Dr Hugh Worth departed as head honcho. Shows the organisation has factions just like political parties.

• Sad 1