Should Dogs Watch Their Canine Companions be PTS. ABC News 16/12/23.

Deeds

I don't think it is necessary for the other dogs to see the dog die. That seems an odd and mostly human idea, like having a grave to visit.

But in my experience it is better for the other dogs to be able to sniff the body so that they know the other dog hasn't just gone missing. And it is better done at home rather than making the clinic a place where distressing things have happened to all of you. 

• Like 2

When I had my Georgie euthanised at the vet I brought her body home, wrapped in a sheet. I unwrapped her body I the garden beside the pre-dug grave so Jilly could see and sniff her, which she did. We sat together for a small while before I wrapped Georgie's body again and I buried her. She was still warm and soft when I put her in the ground, I waited until Jilly inspected her all over and seemed to realise that Georgie was not asleep. Jilly seemed a bit quiet, but within an hour was bopping about the place. She was only a pup at the time. 

When my old dog Jazz was euthanised at home, my younger adult dog Jackie inspected the shrouded body and sniffed it all over, she seemed very serious and quiet.  She watched from a distance as we put Jazz's body in the ground. Jackie was very quiet for the rest of the day and did not go near the grave. By the next day she seemed to have moved on. Jackie didn't see Jazz euthanised, nor did she see Jazz's body - only wrapped up in a sheet. 

• Like 2

Most of my dogs have either died at the vets or been euthanised at the vets and the other dogs have shown surprisingly few signs that they’ve noticed their absence. On the two occasions when dogs have died at home, my other dogs have been obviously distressed and reluctant to enter the room where they died. On one occasion, we actually switched bedrooms because the dog had died in our bedroom and we wanted the other dogs to sleep happily in the room with us.

My cats, however, always missed even the cats with whom they had squabbled, calling for them for days.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

In my experience, when an animal is booked for their final vet visit, it is generally a pretty emotional process. The client is not always calm and fully prepared for what is about to happen, and these heightened emotions from owners could have the opposite effect on a surviving pet from what is intended, as they pick up on those strong emotions from their humans.

I have had big burly "macho" men collapse into my arms in a sobbing mess once their beloved mate has passed... and this certainly affected me, so what effect would that have on a second pet present for that outpouring of emotion?

Alternately, when one of my own dogs died suddenly in my back yard, her "best mate" dog sat on her grave for nearly 3 weeks, even though he had witnessed her passing. The other 2 dogs appeared to take it all in their stride.

I would seriously look at the option on a case by case basis, as there is rarely a one size fits all solution.

T.

• Like 2

Agreed, case by case but for me personally, no. Not in the right headspace at the time to help a second dog when I'm crying my guts out.

I guess the article (having had more euthanasias than average) has brought up sadness and questioning if I'm doing the right thing by not having another dog there to say goodbye. :cry:    

• Like 3

Most of these articles make peoples choices more confusing & feeling like Sh*t for making certain choices .
Being a dog person & sadly losing many dogs over the years the reality of what is happening in the moment to a fairytale thought process is worlds apart .
More often than not we havent had the privilege of deciding today is the day to plan .
The last thing i can honestly care about is the other dogs when the one dying infront of me is all that matters  & making its last few breathes the most important 5 mins of my life .
I will never be made to feel guilty for not having every dog say goodbye .
For some younger dogs a dog prior to passing having a massive seizure can change the whole dynamics ,some dogs panic ,some dogs will due to the circle of life want to deal with the seizuring dog .
Dogs systems shutting down having a different odour .No one truly knows the answer .
I can safely say after  many dogs being put down the panic & overwhelming moments of them having no control ,knowing something is wrong ,being often vison impaired & deaf the only thing that matters is my soothing hand strokes 
Our dogs have never suffered by not saying goodbye  & the one thing we learnt many years ago is life goes on & ensuring a dog left behind in its new world does so in the lest overwhelming manner is always our new thought process in that moment 

• Like 5