Groomers - Melbourne Se

Guest Tess32

I go to one in Mt. Eliza....he does my rough collies and has experience in long haired breeds - he's a breeder/showie.

Nat

You shouldnt clip the top coat of a springer .

You need to rake/strip the top coat so the right texture comes through & then you have a great coat for the life of the dog,if you clip the top coat it will curl more,the undercoat will take over & it looks dull & deary.

If you got the dog from a good breeder they should be able to show you how to work on the coat,it isnt that hard but the results a fair better than clipping,a good groomer should advise agaisnt clipping the top coat but they should strip the coat & tidy the feet,clip the throat/ear area & trim & tidy up.

If the dog is young the coat will curl until the mature coat is heavy enough to keep it down

Hi Showdog

Thank-you for your great advise. :laugh:

Max is now 7mths old....so I am not sure when the mature coat kicks in? I assume some of it is now thats why its looking a bit this way. I meant to take a pic last night to post but the batteries went flat. Shall try to do so tonight to show you.

In regards to the breeder. She is great and I email her with queries all the time however she is from the country (4 hrs away) so is unable to help me with the coat.

We have a stripping comby thing (sorry...but I am new at all this grooming stuff) that we use on his ears and head. Can we use this on his back where the curls are forming?

Any more advise would be greatly appreciated :laugh:

At 7 months the coat is no where near mature but you need to strip the coat to get the puppy fluff out.Maybe ask your breeder if they can recommend another breeder to give you some basic advice or show you how to use a tool correctly maybe even the one you have.

Hi there Springer girl!

Why dont you just rock up to a show (there is one at KCC park on Sat) and just talk to the Springer people. Im sure someone would help you out and in the long term save you heaps of $$$ in being able to do it yourself!

There are plenty of Springer people about!

Cheers! :thumbsup:

If you are not planning on showing and your dog is very active outdoors type, then clip...

Both my cockers are clipped with feathering left and they look great. They will never be show dogs again but it is far easier to manage and are definately better off without the coats as they are agility dogs.