Osteosarcoma And Stewie

The word that strikes dread in my heart :laugh:

Stewie has been mildly lame over the past week. The lameness is on the same side as his arthritic shoulder, and the weather has been getting colder - so naturally we thought it was the arthritis starting to play up and started up his Sasha's Blend again.

Unfortunately, no. OH has just found a swelling in the radial bone. Obviously we need to go to the vet for a confirmed diagnosis - but from past experience, it looks like the news won't be good.

Damn it!! He's not even 7 years old. :)

Everyone - hug your furbabies tight - they're never here for long enough :rofl:

post-22-1120102420.jpg

Edited by Allerzeit

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, Allerzeit, I'm so sorry that you've got a waiting game re a definite diagnosis. I'm sending every warm wish of hope in the meantime.

Stewie is beautiful..he reminds me of Bob, a Rottie that I picked out as the best dog at a doggie day some time back. I'd never known what big beaming good natures Rotties have.

Please give Stewie a hug from me. And my thoughts are with you.

Thanks for the well wishes guys - Stewie is getting many, many hugs at the moment. Poor guy can't work out why I'm so distressed - but the more I try not to be upset, the worse I am.

We've lost too many Rotts to bone cancer :)

Thanks mita (and everyone else too! - hugs to you all),

Vet appointment is for 3pm today - so will report back when we return.

Poor OH doesn't want to go to the vet because he doesn't want anyone to confirm what it is :worship:

Just back from the vet :worship:

We didn't go as far as x-rays to definitely confirm it - the vet is 99% sure that it is Osteosarcoma. Definitely swelling in the bone, right spot, right breed, right age.

We will now just manage pain for as long as Stew still has good quality of life.

I thought I'd run out of tears, apparently not. :worship:

Thanks for the support everyone.

Trace

I'm so sorry to read the news of your furbaby. Stay positive and believe that his condition can be managed. My 6 yr old Akita was diagnosed in Feb with Lymphoma (lymphosarcoma). The vet gave him 3 months but many stories I have read made me feel that 6 wks was more the norm.... we are now part way through our 5th month. The last week or so has been a bit rocky and I don't know how much longer we will have, but I am so grateful for all the quality time!

Good luck! xx

Guest cloverfdch

Oh no :(, i am so sorry. Cherish every day with your beautiful boy, you and your family will be in my thoughts :).