Very Sick Foxi At Vets

KOE

My sisters 9yo Foxi is at the vets and they can not find out what is wrong with her, here are the symtoms has any one have any ideas.

She is puking and shatting everywhere looks like black stuff. she was taken to the vet on Friday and is still there, they have her on a drip and have done blood tests which showed high red blood cells. on Saturday they gave her a teaspoon of chicken and rice and she started puking an shatting again, they have xrayed her which shows no blockage and more blood tests which have now showed her having high white blood cells. The vet can not find anything wrong with her so please if you have any ideas would be great, The bill is already up to 800.00.

Have they discounted the obvious like snail bait ,spider bite ,poison and such that affects bloodstream?been gassed?

Um paint eg lead, internal bleeding due to bone fragment???

It seems sudden for a cancer type scenario but Im no expert, in humans pancreatic cancer is swift.

Sorry to sound doom laden Im guessing and praying :(

poor little thing and the family must be distraught! :)

blood tests which showed high red blood cells

Can you ask if that was in fact high white cells?

Oops just reread your post and there is a high white cell count which would indicate infection, and I am not sure what high red cells means.

Have they done any faecal tests?

Black poo usually means internal bleeding, the black stuff being old blood from the gut, probably higher up in the stomach or duodenum.

What are they treating the dog with? What medications?

Sounds like she needs vet observation, a drip and no food till they can work out what the problem is.

Fingers crossed here for you.

I went through something like this recently with one of mine.

He had haemorraghic gastroenteritis (HG). If you do a web search you'll see the similarity in the symptoms. Dogs between the ages of 2 and 6 are the most prone but you never know.

He was placed on a drip - very important with a high red blood cell count as that is often symptomatic of bad dehydration. He had buscopan to sooth his stomach cramps (any sign of those?) and massive antibiotics. After three days on the drip he had a day of special electolytes and then onto some chicken and rice. He is now fine.

Ask the vets about HG. It has many causes both viral and bacterial (ie your dog eating something hideous). Ecoli and salmonella are two common bacterial triggers for HG. The good news is that with antibiotics and rehydration, most dogs pull through.

Hope they nail a diagnosis soon. Problem with dogs and people is that the same symptoms appear in a myriad of diseases.

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks dolers

Chewy is on a drip and the vet has started her on antibotics today, They have also put in some dye and will rexray tomorrow. The vet said the lining of her stomach appears to be red raw. All poisons have been ruled out. Mary (sis) is also going to ask about HG and also hookworm even though she is regularly wormed. Will let you know what the vet said tomorrow once again thanks.

Could it be inflammatory bowel disease - my IG has it. Any meat makes him bleed and blood comes out both ends.

He has the odd attack but it's kept under control with medication and diet -eg no meat.

Took a long time to diagnose and lots of attacks, time on drips etc.

Good luck!

My dog has a mild form of inflamatory bowel disorder and I find that the only thing that controls it is PLAIN white naturally cultured yoghurt - I use low fat.

Also, a lady across the street is on Chemo and has been told to eat plain yoghurt to increase her white blood count - this is something I didn't know about yoghurt.

Good luck! :D

Edited by doggo

My dog has Inflammatory Bowel Disease also Dogmad.

Has the Vet looking after your foxy suggested doing an endoscope and taking biopsies? That is how we got ours diagnosed.

We have just placed her on an all natural diet of raw rabbit( which is a white meat), lightly steamed green vegies that are then puree'd. we had tried All the prescription dog foods possible to no avail .

Rappie, if you are online do you have any suggestions for this poor dog and the owner?

Thanks from me and my sister Mary says thanks millions.

Chewy is home after the dye and xrays, they still do not know what is wrong with her but are guessing that it appears that she gets build up of gasses in the stomach and the acids are eating the stomach lining. She is on antibiotics and a white meat diet and daily observation. If she is still sick after 7 days they want to do surgery. But the vet thinks it is like bowel disease in humans.

Hope all goes well.