Royal Canin

Ozstar

Hi All,

I am thinking of changing my dogs over to Royal Canin and would value anyones opinion on this brand. I have 6 large dogs, 2 are pups and currently I am not happy with the food I am feeding them.

If you have any comments, good or bad I would greatly appreciate it. Also what are the puppy packs that you are given when you have a litter like?

Thanks in advance.

Leanne

I use RC for Giant Breeds and love it. Great food - the dogs like it and it produces little waste. Mine were all on Euk as pups before i became dissatisfied and changed them over so unsure about the puppy packs. But thoroughly recommend it for adults!!!!!

We feed Roxy the Medium Junior and she really likes it. We also give her chicken necks etc every 3rd or 4th day as well. She is now producing less waste and mostly pretty well formed

Her coat is definately looking alot healthier since being on Royal Canin.

My advice is to shop around - I am buying a 15kg bag for $89 which is the cheapest I could find anywhere. (Not sure where you live but if in Sydney, go to Pet Warehouse in Yagoona near the RSPCA)

We use Royal Canin and have for some time. We find it is a cut above the previous food we used. When preparing for shows we use 4300 - it is a high energy food that allows us to get great muscle tone on the dogs while maintaining sufficient weight. The beauty with RC is that there is a food for every age/size/lifestyle, as well as a growing range of breed specific foods. I would suggest calling RC and discussing your needs and the questions you have about puppy packs. If you need a contact no, please pm me.

Sags

Yup, we use the Labrador Retriever food and it's great! I love that the kibble is large so it isn't scoffed down, which I think could reduce the risk of bloat in large breeds. Very impressed! We buy it in 3kg bags but it lasts a while because it's fed with raw meat, bones, veggies etc. We have the frequent buyers card too and are due for a freebie bag soon.

It smells like real food and my dog has been so much healthier on it. He was in danger of being overweight before, he's slimmed down a bit now and has done much better on it than other dry foods

My dogs love it and look great on it.

Puppy packs contain, pedigree certificate (to be filled in yourself), info on the food, free sample bag - 2 kg I think and money off coupon for new owners. All (except food!) in a white folder which has room for you to add your personal touches to the pack.

If you are in the breeder scheme you get the food cheaper and with each pup you sell you get money off your next purchase. Over here they also do free delivery to your home.

Pricewise i believe RC is along the lines of Euk/Proplan/Advance

Interesting.....we won a 20kg bag a while ago and it was truly brilliant stuff. Didn't pursue using it because I thought it may have been a bit expensive for the old budget.

BUT...given that my dogs are going through copious amounts of cheaper product, I may do some investigation with a view to paying more but feeding less.

Thanks for that!!

:thumbsup:

RC is pretty darn good...but i also like the fact that there is a range for each type (age specific) as well as a growing number of breed specific types. Also it is worth shopping around for prices and 'sales' etc...and you also may get a discount from some shops due to being a breeder.

Hehe thanks PM...it's been a little while since i've looked at the prices of premium kibble...just remember thinking it was much the same as the other premium types :laugh:

Proplan does give you 18kg's instead of the usual 15kgs so that will make a difference in price...but i only noticed that the other day as someone was spruiking it at me :thumbsup:

Also it is worth shopping around for prices and 'sales' etc...and you also may get a discount from some shops due to being a breeder.

Unfortunately, being in Tasmania means that just about EVERY food is more expensive here, especially now with the increase in petrol meaning price rises across the board.

For example, last Monday I paid $1.62 for a large tin of Pedigree Puppy Food. On Tuesday that same tin was $1.75.

I've tried to contact RC thru their website but not having much luck as their email addresses seem to be bouncing. I've got a few questions to ask them.

Might be time to do a whole new cost vs quality/amount fed comparison.

Might be time to do a whole new cost vs quality/amount fed comparison.

It often proves very interesting :thumbsup:

ETA - it may also be worth looking at delivery/postage...some companies have deals with AusPost which makes their delivery costs very reasonable...depending on prices tho it may not prove any more cost effective...but worth looking into...eg some online places do the 'if items purchased cost over this amount, postage is free' etc...

Edited by KitKat

Have been using it for years now, and would never go back to Eukanuba, Nutrience or Pro-Plan.

Have never had a problem with it, and find it only takes about 10 days on it before new dogs show a difference in coat, weight etc.

Showed a bitch (large, longhaired breed) several months after a litter, and do-one would believe she had just had a litter til they saw the pups! She had been raised on it, and kept on the "starter" for the pregnancy and lactation, along with the usual chicken necks and wings.

Currently have a 2 week old litter to her daughter, likewise raised on it - she is also on the starter + necks, and is looking great, with pups more than doubling birth weight in just over the first week.

If you contact RC and buy enough at a time, they will freight it to you for only $22 and give you breeder's prices. I get a pallet load at a time, and still only pay that. Definitely worth getting a few people together to take advantage of this!

Hi Ellz

The price for a 17kg bag of Maxi Adult RC is $78 and Maxi Junior RC $82 if you have a breeders card. You also get every 10th bag free, breeders pack with hat,jacket or jumber etc and puppy packs when you have a litter. This is the price from Royal Canin and should be the same price from your supplier.

I have used EUK and found it dearer and only a 15kg, my dogs didn't do well on it either.

Leanne