Gsd Owners

Alibear

I think my boy is loosing his winter coat.

I brush him regularly with a normal dog brush, but was wondering what is the best to use on a day to day basis and what is best to use if he is loosing his coat?

Thanks.

I'll try and find you a pic of the one i use...it's great! and easy to use which is also nice...back soon with something i hope :p

Ok...the one i have is something like this

deluxe_rakes.gif it's called an under coat rake...but mine has two separate rows of teeth and it does so much better then the one i have which is just like the pic :( I got it from a product van at one of the dog shows up this way..

ETA - oh..look it came up with a pic of several of them..lol...oh well, pluraise everything i said :laugh: These are great if you aren't dealing with matted areas...and they so soo well in getting my furballs shedding tumble weeds out :cry:

Edited by KitKat

What do you mean by a normal dog brush? A rake is the best one for a Shepherd coat, but I use a whole variety on D, mainly because I have them for when grooming other dogs.

Don't forget that a good wash to loosen the fur and a good blow dry will get most of that coat out with very little brushing

rake:

groom_styletrake_sml.gif

Ok thanks guys. I will investigate where I can get one of these near my place. This must be the best as the both of you posted nearly exactly the same thing! :(

I ask this because I was told by a vet last night when I popped in to get some "Urine Off" (another story :laugh: ) that I should be using like a shedding blade.

I will try post a pic for you to see. Are these good or bad - it looks like it would hurt to me!

post-22-1125020218.gif

Edited by Alibear

They are good, they look like a fish scaler tho...i find it's great on my short coated dog...but it doesn't do anything used on Bronx's coat.

PS..my older dog luuuurves it when i use the 'fish scaler' on him :laugh:

Edited by KitKat

I was at the Warehouse last week and the had the shedding blades and rakes for under $4 each so I bought one of each, I really like the rake, the blade, I am a bit concerned that it may break the fur, so I have left taht one in the grooming bag, but the rake gets my :laugh: as well as a comb designed for double coated dogs adn the bristle brush to finish them off

The fish scaler just seemed to strip the undercoat from my older boy...but when used on Bronx just couple of outercoat hairs came off...so could well have 'broken' them...hadn't really thought about it just went "oh, didn't work" lol. But no it doesn't hurt them unless you use them to hard :p

Not sure if i'd recommend the scalers for GSD's tho..even normal coated dogs. But the rakes are wonderful :(

I also tried one of those really soft long-ish bristled horse brushes on Bronx a few weeks ago...it make him soooo glossy! but i haven't decided if i want to actually buy one yet :laugh:

Even though my Harry is a Shep x, he still has a short and very thick coat that is coming out in clumps at the moment (it makes for a charming floor covering). Anyway, I use the rake first, then the shedder seems to grab out anything bought to the surface - does that make sense? And then the backyard looks like a small animal has been murdered on it. :laugh:

Guest Dianne

Alibear my new mate... :(:cry::laugh:

Seriously rake and Slicker are our choice of dead coat getter out-erer.

A small animal been killed.our place is a haven for all the birds this time of year..old coat makes beaut nesting material... :cry: the only ones that get chased out are the magpies. :p it's genetic..Mac hated them and so do all his progeny and rellies..

Edited by Dianne

Yeah, well Harry only weighs 18kg, the bit of pug thrown in the mix makes him a small shep x indeed. So I say small animal murdered in the yard, yours might be more comparable to a lion. :(

But I do get the joy of Lola spreading his hair around the yard so all the birdies get their fair share. Everytime a clump comes off the rake, she pick it up, does some zoomies and tries to drop it, but that doesn't work. So I have to remove several hairballs from her face before she comes inside.....

Yep, I live in a mad house. :laugh:

Edited by hugapug

Hi ALIbear new friend and Bear friend of Kim :laugh: I use that fish scaler thing but only when they have been hydrobathed and wet gets rid of heaps of hair and then I use a brush thingy that is purple and has like bent over pins it is great for when the girls are dropping coat.

I have a rake and a slicker, but really only use the slicker. Diesel's fur is short for a GSD though, and he doesn't seem to shed as much as some others I have seen.

When I brush him I only really get out 2 slicker brushes worth! Some other Shepherds I have brushed it certainly looks like a rabbit was killed!

:mad I use a rake on zac & a normal brush ( dog) on ruby shes only got puppy hair,but her new coat has started on her tail & starting to come through on her back hooray for a little girl growing up

Anyhow I love the rake for zac, & my yard too is a lawn of fur.A willy wag tail was trying to grab the hair today,but zac tried to chase him away.

I left some out for him,so he can build his nest & impress the girls :thumbsup:

Thank you to all my new friends! ;) :rofl: What would you do without friends I say? :D

I had a quick look around on the weekend but couldn't find any racks, (admittedly, I didn't look at that many place though :o )

Is there a particular brand that is better then another?