The Canine Athlete

I posted this in another forum:

Last weekend it became obvious that one of my labs (six years old) had injured herself.

In hindsight, which I feel guilty about, she would intermittently hold her left back leg up when standing. I thought cramp was a possibility so in the 5 times over an 8 week period (my dogs are nearly with me 24 hours a day), I would massage the leg and all seemed fine.

When I arrived home Sunday night after a weekend trial, where a judge had noticed a slight skip to her stride, she displayed more obvious pain. I gave her a dose of Metacam.

On Monday she was treated by my own vet (who diagnosed lumbar sprain), with injections of corticosteroid which included anaesthetic after which he manipulated her. Her left shoulder musculature was also less than her right.

Naturally, as I am so keen to spend my husbands money, I suggested plain radiographs and CT scanning. My vet did not think this warranted yet.

I have never been terribly keen on human chiropractic treatment (sorry chiros).

Long term chiropractic treatment has been suggested. Should I insist on CT scanning? The vet also found a small lump in one of her mammary glands (heck I missed that as well, and I check once a week).

BTW I also got a second opinion from a well trusted vet. Paranoid me!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday we returned for further evaluation. (I also took my other two competition (b and c) labradors).

The labrador with the initial problem, had a little further manipulation and can return to training. A miracle, indeed???

Dog B passed with flying colours except for a slight pain response to his left foot, which was thought to be in the heeling phase, as a bruise injury. .

Dog C had a slight pain response when her lumbar spine was checked. She was manipulated. No further treatment required.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason I have posted this thread, is to remind fellow dog lovers with competition dogs not to ignore any signals, no matter how small. The reason why your dog does not instantly obey a command may be a physical reason.

Human athletes, racing greyhounds and competition horses are regularly checked so it goes to say the pet athlete should warrant the same care.

I have certainly noticed today, a lovely looseness in the problem labs stride. She is jumping for joy, so to speak - which I am trying to discourage. Whether she remains so, has yet to be seen.

Hip/ebow scores had previously been performed on the above dogs. No cruciate injury etc was of concern. Blood tests are performed annually.

Edited by Lablover

Guest cloverfdch

I get my guys checked often aswell. Clover pulled up lame after a run at the park one night a few months back and we could not figure out what was wrong, one visit to the Chiro and we knew (Sprained hamstring). He has also been wonderful in the past, unlike our vets :crazy:.

I use them often too - Chili used to have lots of trouble with her right shoulder, it was almost impossible to get her to the standard of fitness needed for shows without making her lame. You could actually feel the lack of muscle on that side compared to her left side - she just didn't have enough muscle to keep it in place but to make the muscle she needed more weight and needed to run to build the muscle - which made her lame - and around and around. I had an excellent physio guy in Wodonga and he helped me to get her shoulder right and she hasn't had any trouble with it since. Also when she wasn't putting as much effort into her movement or was just looking off we'd have a visit to the physio and she'd usually have her back out or something - a few hours later all back to normal.

I like to get them checked before I start working on their fitness before shows and then again just before the show. The non-showies like Tiger don't bother running around enough to hurt themselves :(

I think dog chiro/physio people are highly underrated :crazy:

Vets in my experience don't normally refer dogs to chiros, accupuncture, bowen etc - however I am currently having Chazer treated with accupuncture and it is with a vet who has done a lot of study into injuries and also teaches accupuncture at a uni. She is not my normal vet, I go to one vet for vaccinations etc and another vet for injuries.

Most people who use them usually do by word of mouth, lot of show and agility people use them. I guess it is with these dogs the injuries show themselves, especially with agility

Also if you know anyone with racing greyhound they should be able to put you onto someone - both the blokes that I've been to have been I guess not 'registered' or anything, working from home mostly on the racing dogs but happy to accept my dogs. The one in Wodonga actually used to do the rounds of obedience clubs once a month or something which was a great idea and he had heaps of show dogs going to him.

Just be careful!!

Some of these guys are great but having worked in greyhound clinics and canine sports medicine clinics i have seen my fair share of problems made worse by a backyard muscle man.

My advice visit someone with qualifications ie veterinary chiro or animal physio. There are a few exceptions and if you want to use one of these i would make sure you talk to alot of people first that has used them.

My three dogs (one competing, two retired) have always received regular chiropractic treatments. Their chiropractor trained in the USA on horses and started doing a few dogs some years ago. Dogs now form the majority of his business.

My vet must think he's OK - she's done the same course now that he did!!

My dogs are now also receiving canine massage therapy. :crazy: The comment from the masseuse was that my 8 year old boy is 'remarkably flexible' for a dog his age.

Coming from a horse background, you learn about maintaining their soundness - I simply transferred the philosophy onto my dogs. :)

You also learn about the importance of fitness conditioning and SPELLING, a word rarely heard in the world of dog sports. :(

Most greyhound and race horse people know of qualified animal chiros.

My dogs visit the chiro regularly, we are lucky were I live that we have a vet who is also a trained Chiro and she is fabulous! The dogs I am currently showing tend to go every 6 mths unless they display signs of an injury.

Cheers

jenny

Chezzyr:

Is chiro necessary or is it a "bandwagon" type thing? (do it because everyone else does etc) thanks!

Good question.

I do it because:

a. I have myself done regularly and feel the benefit.

b. I can see the difference before and after in at least one of my dogs.

c. I ask my dogs to do things (eg. agility, coursing) that place heavy demands on their bodies.

d. I consider it an investment in maintaining my dog's so that they will be comfortable 'golden oldies'.

Frankly, I know more people who don't get their dogs done than do. You can usually tell an older agility dog who has received regular treatment from one that hasn't. :thumbsup: Dogs who receive regular chiro tend to remain more sound and flexible IMHO.

Edited by poodlefan

Guest Tess32

Is there much of a risk factor?

I had considered doing it as preventative and also because of the impact on rough dog-dog play.

Nat

I think if done by a qualified chiropractor, the risk would be minimal but I suppose you get to weigh the risk of adjustments against the risk of developing issues like spondilosis etc.

First time my chiro laid hands on my dog (Ted) he said, (after no input from me) "this dog has a T-Bone injury".. Ted had hit a solid jump head on a couple of weeks prior.

He is very gentle and uses minor adjustments. There is no 'twisting' or 'snapping" and the dogs greet him enthusiasticlly .. they certainly don't resist the treatment.

For what its worth, my human chiro never 'twists' or 'snap's either. I've never found it painful, just some pressure at times. :thumbsup:

Chezz, I pay $40 per dog per visit.

Edited by poodlefan

In my case both chiropractors were also vets.

I certainly do agree with "spelling' time, not only physically but mentally.

I suppose we should consider fitness and diet etc, but also warm up exercises, stretching too before intense exercise.

Anyway dogs never cease to amaze me how stoic they are, especially the high desire ones.