Shock, Horror

shekhina

Tonight I bought one of those dog food roll things you get in supermarkets (butchers were closed, not possible to get other dog food until tomorrow). I think the brand was Platinum?

Well my gawd Daegon scoffed THAT down! And then asked for MORE! Never has he done this with anything I've tried before, I was amazed. I've been having so much trouble trying to get him to eat but he's been doing a bit better lately. But tonight was just so good to see him eat like that, made me very happy.

Just thought I would share with you guys since you'll all tried to help me so much with getting him to eat :thumbsup:

Hi Shehkina - I'm glad that Daecon enjoyed his meal but my only reservation is I wish it had consisted of something healthier, I can't quite remember at this very moment the ingredient that is used on those rolls but I can assure you that it is not recommendable and is downright unhealthy, also when purchasing ANY commercial dog food ensure that it doesn't contain the preservatives HBA, HBT and ETHOXIQUIN as they do cause long term health problems and have been banned in Europe - you'll find that alot of top premium foods contain those very preservatives including Eukanuba, Iams, Hill's Science and a few others; as an example ETHOXIQUIN is a rubber preservative so it shouldn't be used in pet food but nevertheless it is; the manufacturers of this product are called Monsanto. See if you can feed Daecon a natural diet like the BARF diet and to entice his appetite you can give him a few drops of Pentavite which is easily obtainable at pharmacies, it really works for a poor appetite. :(

Well it's not something I want to continue feeding but it was nice to finally see him walk off with a bigger belly than when he started. I tried him on Royal Canin tonight and he seems to like that too, so will be off to buy some ASAP.

Thanks Shandy, but don't worry it's not something that's likely to be fed to him again, I just didn't have any other dog food last night and the butcher was closed. Hopefully off to the butcher tomorrow to get some more mince and things :(

Hi Shek

I know how important it is to you to get Deagon to eat more

IMHO I would feed him that roll and chicken wings with some royal cain, then slowly reduce the supermarket roll and substitute other/better foods,

Some food is better than no food, work on the quality when he starts eating the quantity.

Good Luck, let us know how he goes,

Big cuddle to Deagon, his Sister is growing huge she has got really chunky, and smoochy,

Good Luck

My Guys like left over kiddy table scaps

and bannans dipped in stawberry yoghurt

What is the go with those rolls from the supermarket are there any good ones

Aldi has some not sure what brand but are they any good.

I buy kangaroo meat from aldi only 2.99 a kilo dogs love it

I actually don't mind (and neither do my dogs) the VIP rolls. They are made locally to Shek and I.

I've spoken to a guy who works there (his daughters were at school with my boys) and I'm trying to line up a visit to the factory for a look-see.

Will let you know if and when it happens. Wanna come too if I can organise it Shek?

Hey,

thanks for the positive comments guys. I too agree that right now Daegon should just enjoy meal times. Am pleased to say he is back on to the great pet mince I'm able to get which is another really good step for him. Since he's been eating he has grown quite a bit which is also nice to see, and he seems happier which is great.

HH, I've contact Di for some more info on Royal Canin, pricing and such. When I got it out of the packet I knew he was going to at least try it, it's actually moist and smells, unlike that Eukanuba which is very dry. He still prefers the meat but he's at least interested in it which is great. When I'm able to go and get some (big dog food bags and buses don't mix!) I'll start by mixing it in with the mince and some egg to get him used to it.

As for the supermarket dog food roll, I didn't get the VIP brand, I got Platinum. It actually didn't look like the absolute worst thing in the world, will be a nice treat for both dogs occasionally anyways...can't feed them premium food all the time, I certainly like my chocolate every now and then :eek:

Ellz, if you're still gonna go on the factory tour I'm happy to tag along, might be quite interesting. Will just make sure I catch a cold first so that I can't breathe through my nose and smell anything revolting :eek:

Pandii, Daegon is also starting to look like he's gonna be a bulky guy...and SUCH a snuggle bum! Which I'm happy about, because for the first couple of weeks I was wondering why on earth I got him, he was SO naughty, and actually seemed rather nasty. However now he's a little happy angel who likes his snuggles :cry:

Must say it's nice to finally see some positive responses to Daegon's eating, thanks again :laugh:

Edited by shekhina