63 members have voted

1. 1. What side does your dog walk on?

• Right
    • Left

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "rule" only really exists because of formal obedience. The Heel position is on your left.

It really doesn't matter with a pet dog as long as you are happy with how the dog walks.

Nat

Yeah I don't understand it. I am right handed and am doing formal obedience therefore needing to train dog heel position and to walk on left side.

I have a busted neck and shoulder on left side due to a never fixable injury and prefer to walk dogs on my right because the strength is there. If SO'd dog took off I couldn't hold him with my left hand wonder if I can get this changed or I am going to have trouble although dog doesn't pull just walks slightly ahead on loose leash which I am happy with.

I've been told (don't know if this is true) the tradition started because hunters hold a gun with their right hand, and fire it on their right shoulder. Therefore their dogs were taught to walk on the left, cos it's safer and quieter on that side. When competition obedience started, they just adopted this convention.

My dog heels on the left, because we only heel for competition type events, which require the dog on the left. When we just go for a regular walk he tends to walk on the left too, but I don't enforce that.

:(

I've been told (don't know if this is true) the tradition started because hunters hold a gun with their right hand, and fire it on their right shoulder.  Therefore their dogs were taught to walk on the left, cos it's safer and quieter on that side.  When competition obedience started, they just adopted this convention.

That's what i have been told to :(

I'm teaching my younger dog to walk on both/either the left or right side depending on what i am asking of him.

Edited by KitKat

Mine walk on the left because I have no physical reasons why either side is better than the other and so the left is easiest so that you are the same as everyone else at obedience lessons.

The rules for obedience DO specify that the dog must be on the left.

ETA: Bad memory of the obedience rules. :(

Edited by molasseslass

My oldest dog walks on the left because thats how we were taught a obedience

Me puppy is just learning to walk on a loose lead and is only doing little walks

so she walks on my right as Tyson is on my left

The rules for obedience DO NOT specify that the dog must be on the left (or right) it is your choice

Probably best to check the rules of your own discipline and country before you start teaching your dog, then - I know in NZ left side heeling is required for NZKC obedience trials and tests. Oz might be different, though. :thumbsup:

I have the draft copy of the 2006 Obedience rules here from the AKC.

It says:

Heel Position:

The dog is at the Handler's left side as close as practicable to the Handler.

Nat

Thanks Nat.

Hmm, now I have seen people competing with the dog on their right, I wonder if they get a small deduction for the dog being out of position but not continuing deductions due to the dog maintaining the position?

Or perhaps if you have a medical certificate or something as to why the dog must be on the right you can?

Mine walk on the left for heeling or straigh out in front for show training.

I don't think its really important, but remember if you're using a check chain make sure its on the right way for the side the dog is walking on. It really bugs me seeing someone walking a dog on a check chain with the dog on their right and the chain tight due to it being on the wrong way.

I had trouble with my boys when we first started agility, b/c they had been on my left for 4 years. We never did formal obed., it was just a habit. It took a while to get them comfortable working on my right.

Trim? she's like a yoyo :thumbsup: . Never stays still on one side for long. But she works equally well on both side in agility.

Out on a walk I don't really care where they are as long as it's loose leash. Sometimes it's easier for them to be on the right if all the trees are on the right :thumbsup:

Most people say train the dog to walk happily on both sides in case you do agility and so on or just for the purpose of generalisation.

That's weird ML - I feel unco just thinking about right side heeling. Interesting question though, I hope someone knows.

Nat

Funny about this topic - Ness can heel both on the right and the left (needed for freestyle routines). Her right side heelwork was purely clicker trained and was always a lot flashier than her left side till I retrained it - now she is flashy on both sides. As for agility we never had a problem with the whole left/right issue despite not knowing - in fact go figure if I weave her on the right she is less likely make mistakes - left side weaving just seems weird.

Mine walk on the left because that is where i trained them for obedience, so they just automatically go over that side when on a shorter lead or when asked other times they are just everywhere :thumbsup: . Nova does have a command for the right side and that is handy for agility, just trained him the same way as on the left but with a different command/signal