Poor Quality And Inappropriate Equipment

YOUR Chi may be innocent Ciara.. others less so - let me tell you I have a healthy respect for the breed. :laugh: Edited to add - they can make top little agility dogs BTW.

What colour/sex is your Chi? I'll don my colour consultant hat and find you some colour suggestions. Coach make collars down to Yorkie/Chi and up to huge dogs.

Edited by poodlefan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was going to get BlackDog collars for my lot, but I think they have plastic clips from memory...

For med-large / strong dogs, would those of you who have seen and used the BlackDog collars put them in the same "ID-carrying-device-only" category?

As the dogs are in and out of the water constantly I had hoped to find a good nylon collar, and the clips are just so much easier to get on and off on those ones than with the belt buckle type.

ETA - the pups have had Bull collars with plastic clips up till now, they seem pretty sturdy... but is the general consensus that no plastic clip is to be trusted?

K9 - On that martingale you posted the picture of K9, there looks to be a point to the right of the slip chain where the the collar relies on a plastic buckle/slider... am I just misreading the picture? Is there a part of the strap that continues through there?

Edited by Mana

Mana - black dog have 'heavy duty' training collars that don't have clips - I use these on my guys for training with no issues. I'm no good at explain how their work, but if you look on their page you'll see what i mean

http://www.blackdog.net.au/collars.php

They have a press stud - which isn't weight bearing - but is handy if you want to leave the collar on them briefly whilst in the car on the way to training etc, but they wouldn't be suitable as an everyday id holding collar.

I've had one of the not heavy duty training collars (with the clip) and it took 5 years to break it, and it was primarily used for my male GSD so hopefully the heavy duty ones will last forever with the girls.

(ps theres a guy on ebay selling them cheaper if you do decide to get them)

My favourite collars are the ones I was given on a trip of the US. They are bright mutlicoloured collars (so easy to find when left on a dog stake) used primarily for E collars. Lots of holes and as strong as I have ever found.

I will post a photo if anyone likes. I cannot find a web site for them at the moment.

I was going to get BlackDog collars for my lot, but I think they have plastic clips from memory...

For med-large / strong dogs, would those of you who have seen and used the BlackDog collars put them in the same "ID-carrying-device-only" category?

No, I wouldn't put them in the same category.

The designer at Blackdog is actually an engineer in his former life, and you will notice 2 rings on the Blackdog collars, a smaller one right next to the clip for ID only, then the bigger D ring further down the collar- it is purposely sewn in independently for strength.

Why the cheaper versions of the plastic clip collars come apart is because the D ring is incorporated into the plastic clip- thus the clip taking all of the force, and snap!

The Blackdog collars are actually designed so that the force is heavily reduced on the plastic clip, for that exact reason. I've had dogs of all weights wear them- 30kg labs, 50kg rotti's, never had one snap or come apart.

Blackdog's stuff isn't the cheapest, but it's sure worth the money.

Mel.

Barklys snapped a plastic buckle collar, manages to slip his halti occasionally (its tight? i think he must loosen it somehow? :rofl: ) so I much prefer gentel leaders to haltis (coz if dog gets out of head collar bit, there is still collar)

Nylon leads CUT skin (ouch!) best nylon (I think?) lead I know is Ruddocks brand, easy on the skin :rofl:

Halti's, in my experience, are easier for the dog to slip out of ... it depends alot on the size (length) of the dog's muzzle. In addition, the strap crossing the back of the neck, even once adjusted, has a tendancy to slip. For this reason, the manufacturers recommend that, once the neck strap has been properly adjusted, to put a stitch through the neck strap.

Having said that, however, I've worked with some dogs who's size and shape of head and nose are not suitable to, say, a Gentle Leader.

As to which headcollar is the right one IMO depends on the dog. IE The size and shape of its head; the length of it's muzzle; and, if problematic behaviour is the reason for its use, what that problematic behaviour is.

A couple of weeks ago we had a dog who snapped his cheap $2 Shop correction chain and went for a run around the school grounds. We have also had a number of those cheap nylon clip collars snap in half as well.

I have burned my hands using nylon leads as well and now every time I work with a big dog, I use one of our leads instead. We have totally banned chain leads from our school.

The sad thing is, these nasty pieces of "training" equipment are readily sold at all pet stores and are prettied up with colours and studs so that people are buying for looks rather than practicality. (sigh!)

The sad thing is, these nasty pieces of "training" equipment are readily sold at all pet stores and are prettied up with colours and studs so that people are buying for looks rather than practicality. (sigh!)

Hi Kelpie-i. That's my grumble too ... equipment that comes with no explanation, only a label. Not suggesting they should include a "how to use it" explanation, as that in itself can be open to interpretation and therefore dangerous, but some statement to suggest that the purchaser is advised to seek advice as to the correct manner of its use would be helpful.

I particularly hate check chains being labeled "choker" chains, as this implies to the unsuspecting that's how they are supposed to work ... by choking the dog.

And the collars with plastic clips should come with a label suggesting they are not suitable/safe for training or restraining applications.

I use BlackDog products for my boy, the collar does have a plastic clip, however how the collar is designed the clip doesn't have any weight put on it as such.

I also use the BlackDog head halter, although I'm not a fan of halters, it's the only aid at this stage that my boy responds to and I feel I have total control of him, it does have a plastic clip but I also have another part for it which connect from the halter to the collar incase a plastic clip did break.

When we go to training, we use a collar with a buckle rather than a plastic clip which attaches to the halter just to be extra careful.