Toys

I have never been a fan of dog toys, except using soft retrieving toys when puppies are teething and paint rollers with plastic inserts when retrieving from water.

But my dogs never give up trying to bring me their own toys, sticks, leaves and the like. You would think they would be clever enough to give up trying to train me, LOL.

Should I continue ignoring them when they want to start their games, so satisfaction is received only under my terms.

What are the pros and cons?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, Trim has constantly tried to initiate games since the day I got her. I never really leave toys around but she always manages to find something...funniest one was a 1cm square bit of rubber from an old tennis ball...took me ages before I even saw it.

I guess I give in every now & then & let her initiate play. She knows "that'll do" means give it up. Since my son (18mth) has learnt to throw a ball, she figures he's an easier target these days, so leaves me alone. Now I just shut them both in the back yard & let them be :party:.

I don't really have a problem with it. I don't feel it has any impact on her training for agility or herding...or general obedience for that matter. I can see the theory behind the cons, but I see her as a companion before a competitor...and we have fun, so I'm happy.

I have to admit Vickie, from time to time I have also like you, created a rod for my own back.

Heck, I think, if you (the dog) values THIS item so highly, OK then, we will train in drive again.

Thank heavens they do not bring me back sticks at retrieving trials, LOL.

What is your issue with toys just out of interest?

Haven,

We cross posted. You type (and probably think faster than me).

I want all my dogs satisfaction to come from me, or at least humanly possible.

My male for example, constantly mouths my hands.

Thank heavens they do not bring me back sticks at retrieving trials, LOL.

LOL, one day someone took a tennis ball to herding. Trim didn't even flick a glance at it, not really amazing, her obsession for balls pales in comparison to her obsession with herding.

She told me later :party: that she thought the other dog chasing it was some kind of moron.

I'm not into retrieving so you probably do things a little differently to me. I see what you are saying about wanting satisfaction to come from you, but isn't providing toys and playing giving them satisfaction? I think that if there is something that rewards your dogs more than you, like a toy of some kind, then not using it in training is just selling yourself down the river. I would however, ensure that the only time the dog got to play with that toy was when I provided it and called the shots as to when it was returned. So rather than leaving them around the yard, they only get them from you. By not using toys, many dogs tend to make their own entertainment, like you describe your dogs picking up sticks etc. I wouldn't want that, because the they are getting the satisfaction exclusive of you. I'd only play on my terms, not when the dog brought me something and demanded it.

Haven,

I do not leave toys around, LOL, but because our fenced house area is probably 1.5 acres (I am old -metric conversion takes too much brain power nowadaysand after all it is Friday) -and very busy with trees, sticks and um er possums who from time to time are suicidal, I worry about my dogs self satisfaction.

Just a thread I am really interested in, so thanks for all the replies, as I am house bound with a sick mum.

My boy is alone at home while I am at work so I think it is important to provide him some mental stimulation by way of toys. I'd rather have him chew on a toy than my furniture. I just rotate the toys so he does not get bored with them. He has a box full but won't take them out of the box himself. He will walk over to the box and look at it and just sook but won't pinch anythng out of it, very weird :party: .

Cheers,

Corine

My dogs favourite toys are the ones that bounce in unpredicable patterns, like Kongs, and I also bought a Mango toy from Cranbourne for $2.00 bargain. Where did you buy your orka Jack, from I think my dogs would like this. I have heard that there is another toy I saw at Frankston but was not for sale, is long and rubber and has a clicker inside it, you click and then throw.

I dont leave any toys around here either, i use them for training.

There is though an odd tennis ball that gets thrown over from next door that they play with, but really the only time they will get toys is when i give them too them.

ETA Being idiotic retrievers though, anything is fair game for a good fetch and that includes little twigs and leaves :thumbsup:

Edited by tollersowned