Toys

I got mine from a pet shop in Boronia. I have seen them for sale at mega pet warehouse in Ringwood also. I have a rottweiler who can (and does) chew through just about anything, but the Orka is still completely intact despite sporadic gnawing :thumbsup:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay thanx heaps for that I live in Upwey. The pet shop at Boronia is that the one near Natures Creatures?

I saw a guy today playing with his dog at the Lilydale fun day. He had a toy connected to some fishing line, connected to a fishing rod. The dog was enjoying it. I gave my dogs a go at it, and they loved it, they thought it was like lure coursing. There is no hook on the end of the fishing line. He said just to buy an el cheapo fishing rod.

I like this thread. I have mad retrievers as well. I keep all toys hidden away but occaisonally my husband plays with tennis balls and does not put them away. I want the tennis balls away as they can wear down dogs teeth.

I love playing retrieving games that involve a river or creek. I throw the ball or toy to the other side. So the dog has to jump in the river swim to the other side, get out look for the toy on the other side, get the toy jump back in the river then get back out to bring it to me.

Lab Lover was there another weekend retrieving workshop this year? Loved the last one.

Mine have chew toys in the yard but the good ones are mine and i share them with the dogs during trianing sessions connors fav is a little horse toy from maccas he has three and will do just about anything for them he also loves his giggle toy. He brings me sticks and 'lovely' things from the yard too but i dont bother with them if he is desperate to play i might get one of the good toys and do a training session because he s a puppy and i think its great to have a train when they are begging for it they are ready to learn then but if i say enough they wont hassle me anymore as they know that means im not in the mood to work

Wow, this thread has been very interesting reading!

Personally I leave toys around the yard. I don't plan to do any serious training with my dog in the near future so is that still okay? I've found that if I don't leave toys for my dog, he finds his own - and unsuitable - entertainment.

Also, thank you for the link to the Orkas. I have the gripper and the jack looks like great fun.

Sticks & other items wont ever be as valuable as the ones you put movement into, if you start using many toys, your dog will loose focus.

Question, please K9, with reference to the above.

To the dog, wouldn't a toy, which is there ONLY for the dog to chew on (but which YOU don't play with, don't "put movement into" and isn't the same as your prey item) be the same as sticks laying around? And wouldn't that be preferable to no toys or sticks (which can be chewed and splinter)?

K9: without sounding robitic, its my toy, the dog can capture it sometimes, but only through me.

That differs from sticks as the dog never gets the satisfaction from sticks as I put in the toy....

One person could throw a stick, if I have my ball & string, the dog wont even see it, if I recall when the dogs in chase, the dog will turn.

I think my dog is trying to train me! If I have a sleep in on the weekend, I will wake up to find myself surrounded by headless teddy bears, slobbered on rope toys, tennis balls and bits of stuffing. He keeps going back to the toy bucket and getting something he thinks will entice me to get up and play with him. Very persistent. When I do wake up though, he doesn't want to play with the toys, he want's to play with me, so I guess thats good.

K9, I also compete in retrieving trials and have removed all toys, however, my young dog is now fixated on the cushions on the dining chairs. As he can't get anything else to run around with he has decided these cushions will do the job. He doesn't want to play with them, just carry them. When I've removed them he's taken something from somewhere else. He seems determined to hold something, anything.

Do you think this is a problem?

I guess its a problem if you want to keep the cushions, but it wont effect training.

This is usually an indicator that the dog isnt getting enough stimulation though...

Steve,

We really have to talk. I am going crazy here.

I was "performing" my prey drive exercises again this morning, for want to something to do, as mum is still staying with us.

My male ejaculated in excitement again.

It may be easy to control the toys you use as rewards such as balls etc, however it won't be as easy to control those left by nature ie. sticks etc. So if your dog brings over a stick and you feel the urge to let him win, make sure you make him do something for you first before he gets the game. This would be a good time to do some boring obedience commands or perhaps a good time to teach your dog a trick. He will soon learn that each time he brings the sticks he is made to do something for it and should lessen the amount of times he nags you. If you don't feel like giving him a game, simply ignore him and walk away.

Save the high "powered" toys for retrieving work.

It may be easy to control the toys you use as rewards such as balls etc, however it won't be as easy to control those left by nature ie. sticks etc.  So if your dog brings over a stick and you feel the urge to let him win, make sure you make him do something for you first before he gets the game.  This would be a good time to do some boring obedience commands or perhaps a good time to teach your dog a trick.  He will soon learn that each time he brings the sticks he is made to do something for it and should lessen the amount of times he nags you.  If you don't feel like giving him a game, simply ignore him and walk away.

Save the high "powered" toys for retrieving work.

kelpie, who are you replying to?

Its Friday and I am tired.