Washing Your Dog/s

booboo

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Atlas Every week - Has to be washed for Delta (i hate it :thumbsup: )

Kaos has had 2 'real' baths - Ones at in a hydrobath when i firsst got her - jusst so she could check it all out - and once beacuse she stunk !!

She normally jumps in and out of the bath with atlas - and plays in water all day!!

Hmm - my dog seems to have a self cleaning coat. Her coat gleams and shines with health. Her white patches stay pristinely white, even thought she might have had a muddy walk earlier. I have no idea how she does it. Perhaps the cat has taught her something? :thumbsup:

I bath her rarely - only when she rolls in something noxious. Sometimes I bath her cos my husband says she smells too much of dog slobber (she loves to wrestle with other dogs). I also give her at least a thorough rinse after any visit to the dog beach, to get out the salt and sand.

I guess she gets a shampoo about every 6 wks to 2 months.

I use the kids shampoo - but someone at the park told me human shampoo is meant ot be bad for them.

Is this true? Or a ploy by pet shops to get you to buy expensive dog shampoo?

My dog doesn;t have any skin conditions.

on average, bath mine fortnight.

I have a hydrobath. best investment ever.

Bought a flow valve regulator the other day to do faces and puppies. I normally use Fido's free itch or a natural shampoo in it. When they blow the coats, tend to bath weekly, but on the off week, only use warm water, rather than detergent.

:thumbsup: Chloe absolutely hates baths and has to be carried or else she jams herself in bed and won't come out. I don't know why, the water is always at a lovely temperature... so in saying that, she only gets bathed twice a year if she's lucky... or like mentioned before, if she rolls in something whilst on a walk. But she never smells. Maybe because her bedding is washed religiously? Not sure, but she rarely needs to be bathed which is a good thing for both parties!!! ;)

I wash mine about once a week. The staffy soemtimes gets two baths a week in aloveen for her skin and this perseverance has made all the difference!

I usually bath when they get smelly - slobby and rolling in dirt.

She wasnt dirty, - its been so humid in Sydney this week, she was "sweaty" so gave her a nice wash - only the second bath she has had ( just a pup).

P.S. Dogs don't get "sweaty" - they don't sweat - that's why they pant! :thumbsup:

I use the kids shampoo - but someone at the park told me human shampoo is meant to be bad for them.

Is this true? Or a ploy by pet shops to get you to buy expensive dog shampoo?

Can anyone answer this question for me?

KismetKat,

The claim is, that a dog's skin has a different pH to a human's skin, so the shampoo needs be different to match the pH of the dog's skin.

A quote from a web site selling dog shampoo:

"Never use people shampoos since our skin pH level is much more acidic than our canine friends and could irritate your dog's skin"

A dog's skin has an average pH of 7.4 (says one source, another says 5.5 to 7.2), while human skin pH averages 4.8. This varies quite a bit amongst dog breeds though (one *small* sample gave GSD as 8.6 and Lab 6.8)

What I *dont* know is whether having a so-called "pH balanced" cleanser is important. You see the phrase on people soaps/shampoo's etc too.

Edited by BittyMooPeeb

• 4 weeks later...

We've had our puppy Pirate for just over a week now and she just had her 2nd bath tonight, I couldn't hold off any longer. I love that soft silky clean hair. I also used aloveen, bought it from the vet today, smells beautiful and a doggie calone. My grandma smelt it, reakons its better than most of her perfumes :thumbsup: (mine to)! Wonder if the aloveen would help put a gloss in my hair? :cheer: After her bath I blow dried her, she didn't seem overly impressed, but also didn't complain to much. She was exhausted after allll the pampering and promptly feel fast asleep. Luv her sooo much, boy does she grow on you. She is our first dog and is going to send us broke as I can't stop spoiling her.

Ps. bought her her own doggy chewable toothbrush, she loved it, my husband thinks I've gone stark raving mad. :cheer:post-9134-1141135633_thumb.jpgpost-9134-1141135633_thumb.jpg