Callus Elbows

Alibear

Just wondering if it was normal for dogs to have callus type things on their elbows.

I have noticed that Bear has this on both front legs but one side is worse then the other. My guess would be that it is from dropping and laying down on hard surfaces, but I'm not sure. :)

It doesn't seem to bother him and he lets me touch it, but didn't want to take him to the vet if it is nothing (the vet already thinks I'm a spaz!), so I thought I would ask here first!

I have a pic of it somewhere, I will try to find it and post for you guys. In the mean time, anyone have any advice? :scared:

My guess would be that it is from dropping and laying down on hard surfaces, but I'm not sure. :scared:

You got it in a nutshell :)

Nothing to worry about. If you don't like them make sure he lies on soft bedding all the time which ican be very diffiuclt...... you can also put vaseline on the area to soften it and help it go away but only if you can stop him lying on hard ground.

I have noticed that Bear has this on both front legs but one side is worse then the other. My guess would be that it is from dropping and laying down on hard surfaces, but I'm not sure.

Yep, thats it. If you can encourage him to sleep on something softer that will help. In summer when it is warmer one of the metal framed beds (hessian or shadecloth type cover) are good, or get a piece of rubber/hard foam matting from somewhere like Clark Rubber for him to lie on.

I never understood why some of our dogs get this and others don't, considering they all have access to lounges, beds and non-hard surfaces. I have been told it is actually a fungus and you need to treat it as such. You don't necessarily have to use cream from the vets, but I can't remember the name of the cream I was told was suitable from the chemist. Sorry to be not much help, and I'm not saying it isn't caused by hard surfaces - just that I have been told from several sources it could be something else.

Katrina

Ok, so Bear has his kennel and hession bag bed and sleeps on it at night, but generally during the day he lays by the door which is a paved area. Can't really stop him from laying on hard hard as all our undercover area is like that!

What will happen if I don't put anything on it? Will the area get larger? Will it ever cause him discomfort?

I have also in the past had dogs with the same condition , I used lanolin just too soften the skin... But you could try this..

Foot pad and elbow cream for dry cracked pads.

Why should I use Protecta Pad? Protecta Pad softens and moisturizes. It is a fast-acting, GENTLE AND NATURAL remedy which penetrates into the sublayers of the pad to get at the cause of the problem...dryness. It's unique formula will soften calloused areas and increase the pliability of the pad, while maintaining the resiliency consistent with normal healthy tissue.

***Protecta Pad **was originally designed to protect and heal the pads and elbows of hunting and working dogs exposed to harsh environments. It will also benefit city dogs who walk mainly on cement and where sidewalks are treated with chemicals for ice removal. It's just as good for dogs who develop elbow joint callouses from ** sleeping on rugs or hard surfaces. **

What does Protecta Pad contain?

Natural collagen protein to help maintain durability and flexability

Isopropyl palmitate to soften callouses

Stearyl alcohol to maintain moisture level

Lanolin to soften and protect by holding moisture in affected tissue

:)

I have also in the past had dogs with the same condition , I used lanolin just too soften the skin... But you could try this..

Foot pad and elbow cream for dry cracked pads.

Why should I use Protecta Pad? Protecta Pad softens and moisturizes. It is a fast-acting, GENTLE AND NATURAL remedy which penetrates into the sublayers of the pad to get at the cause of the problem...dryness. It's unique formula will soften calloused areas and increase the pliability of the pad, while maintaining the resiliency consistent with normal healthy tissue.

***Protecta Pad **was originally designed to protect and heal the pads and elbows of hunting and working dogs exposed to harsh environments. It will also benefit city dogs who walk mainly on cement and where sidewalks are treated with chemicals for ice removal. It's just as good for dogs who develop elbow joint callouses from ** sleeping on rugs or hard surfaces. **

What does Protecta Pad contain?

Natural collagen protein to help maintain durability and flexability

Isopropyl palmitate to soften callouses

Stearyl alcohol to maintain moisture level

Lanolin to soften and protect by holding moisture in affected tissue

:shrug:

mmmmmmmmwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Griff, that looks great! Sounds like exactly what I need!

Now where do I get it from :laugh:

Alright, I know I'm just being lazy, I'll go do a search :scared:

Thanks everyone! :)

My black/tan GSD used to have them. They grew to the size of a 10c piece and no bigger.

Casper does not have them and he lies on hard surfaces all day, only sleeping on his soft bed in the evening.

You say Bear sleeps by the door during the day, can you not put a doggy mattress or something there? He might like the option of something soft to lie on. Maybe even a folded towel would be better than nothing.

You say Bear sleeps by the door during the day, can you not put a doggy mattress or something there? He might like the option of something soft to lie on. Maybe even a folded towel would be better than nothing.

Well that would be a lovely idea, if he didn't rip every thing up I put there for him to lay on.

He only sleeps there because it is the closest he can be to us if he isn't inside and I can't really move his bed there as it is hard enough to get out the door with him laying there, let alone a huge bed in the way also :)

hmmmmm........ what to do.....what to do.......

Is this common for GSD's?

I remember my aunty's GSD who I grew up with always had them on his front elbows. They must of been quite noticeable for me to remember that as he went over the bridge when I was 4 and my memory is shocking.

Wags I don't know. I just spoke to my Father and he said our last GSD had it, so maybe? :)

Elbow calluses are common in dogs and large breeds seem to be more susceptible to this problem. They are thought to be the result of pressure when the dog lies on a hard surface. Mild calluses are usually not harmful. If the callus is large or becomes infected, veterinary treatment is usually necessary. The best prevention is providing soft bedding or padding for the dog's resting place, provided the dog is not inclined to chew and swallow bedding material. Choose material that can be replaced or washed frequently for sanitary purposes.

Elbow calluses are common in dogs and large breeds seem to be more susceptible to this problem. They are thought to be the result of pressure when the dog lies on a hard surface. Mild calluses are usually not harmful. If the callus is large or becomes infected, veterinary treatment is usually necessary. The best prevention is providing soft bedding or padding for the dog's resting place, provided the dog is not inclined to chew and swallow bedding material. Choose material that can be replaced or washed frequently for sanitary purposes.

Hey where did you find this info? I have been looking all morning! Google is letting me down! :scared:

Notice it says provided the dog is not inclined to chew and swallow bedding material. :)