My Dog Has Food Posioning

Guest foxyloxy

Guest foxyloxy

The other day my 14mo dog had a real mucous poo that was abnormal. I got the sample to our Vet who sent if off the the Lab.

Results came back yesterday and she has campylobacter bug, in other words Food Poisoning.

Now I have been buying human grade premium beef mince from the same supermarket for yonks and I always get them to make me up a fresh lot.

I mentioned this to a friend who is a Butcher and her told me that the supermarket in question has been reported to the Health Dept and had several samples of meat taken this week as several people who purchased meat there have come down with food podioning .

Vet has given me copies of the Lab reports and will be contacting the Health Dept first thing tomorrow.

The first lot of anitbiotics he gave our dog was eyrthromycin(sp?) and they didn't agree with her and made her vomit so now our dog has been given doxcycline.

Has anyone experienced this with their dog?

I have heard a few people say that their dog/cats have been ill by giving them human grade meat.

I have also suggested changing their supplier. It is good you have heard that this particular incident is being reported to the Health Department.

I certainly would be mentioning this to the Health Department. And dont let this turn you off giving raw foods. Even I have been unhappy with a supplier.

I buy chicken wings for my dog from the BIG supermarkets. They are kept wrapped in the fridge and more often than not they stink to high heaven after a couple of days and a day or two before the use by date!! Makes me wonder how more people dont get sick.

I hope your dog is feeling better.

Edited by Ari

I treat the dogs' food exactly the same way as food for us to eat.

I buy the freshest I possibly can, and it goes straight into the esky to go home, if it intended for that day or the next it goes into the fridge otherwise straight into the freezer.

If I cannot pick my dog meat bones etc up as soon as they have prepared it for me I get it frozen down.

Any meat products that are not kept at the right temperature will spoil, you may not notice it but the bacteria will be multiplying.

Meat that has gone for a spin around the supermarket and then into a hot car and then off for the drive home can spoil very quickly.

Most dogs can deal with the slightly off stuff, but if their immune system is compromised or they are young or elderly it can make them a bit sick.

People actually are affected by spoiled food stuffs more than they realise.

I live in the same area as foxyloxy and we both bought our human grade meat at the same place and you guessed it my 13mo Rough Collie pup had the same symptons last week and the faecal analysis came back the same, campylobacter.

She is on antibiotics for it.

I , and foxyloxy, both do as you say Nadia( we sometimes shop together)- we buy the meat last, put it into an esky bag and straight home and into the fridge( home is a 2-3 im drive).

I then divide mine up into portions and immediately freeze what I am not going to use that day.

This has given me so much of a scare( we lost our Champion Collie in August to Inflammatory Bowel Disease) I think I will be cooking the beef mince when I can resume feeding it again.

Yeah because cooking the stinky chicken wings makes such a difference!!

Actually the stink is caused by the fact the meat is decaying Ari! as all meat does once it is slaughtered!!

Campylobachter is a bacteria that is generally in food products as a direct result of poor hand hygenie :rofl: generally from not washing hands properly after toileting.

Why feed 'stinky chicken wings' anyway?

always wash them in fresh water
this is a great tip before freezing or cooking and meat canine or human consumption!

Cheers Kate

Carluke that was my point. Maybe I should start what I was saying again.

I buy chicken wings from Safeway or Coles, It is a 2 minute trip home and they go straight in the fridge properly wrapped. The next day they are stinky, long before the so called use by date! No I do NOT feed them this way. My point was....This is human grade food and I am sure some people ARE cooking these wings up and feeding them for their own dinner because "they are not past their use by date". Cooking this chicken is NOT going to make it any better.

kelpiecuddles I should take them back more often too.

Edited by Ari

Our Coles often does "specials" on Poultry , I've quickly learned that it means:

" just about off but we'll sell it to the stupid customers anyway"

After my 2nd such purchase , I returned the whole lot , 4 kilos of chicken legs , and dumped them on the counter for a refund , only to be told , you don't need to bring back the chicken , just the $ pack label and your receipt.

(so how often does this happen then :rofl: )

I told her she could dispose of the chicken , I wasn't having it my bin at home.

Our Woolworth is no better , makes it hard to get fresh chicken , so much for their "fresh Produce spiel" :laugh:

Edited by Christina77

I bought mince (as in premium mince) from there and was shocked to see that the use by date was the following day (I was there on a Saturday) but I bought it as it was the last one there. I was even more shocked to see that when I was breaking it up to cook it that the outside was that lovely mince colour and the middle was definately off colour. My dog seemed to love it though, but from now on I get it from the butcher where it's a lovely colour and I know it's prepared every day.

Update on my pup-

Phoebe is heaps better and had a "normal" poop yesterday( thanks to my "paranoia"m as someone put it, and the quick action of my Vet).

The Health Dept have taken my complaint seriosly and I had to give them copies of the Lab Report confirming campylobacter.

They are visiting the supermarket in question and will be taking meat samples to send for analysis and I will get to see the results.