Lure Coursing At Kcc?

ish

I've already lined my Dad up to make me one - I have heaps of room out in the paddocks for it too. Now I just need him to finish all the other jobs I have lined up for him so he has time to make it!!

Oh and incase anyone wondered - Chili figured it out and did a good run her 2nd time around thank goodness :laugh: It was worth staying til 2nd last.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nekhbet I have fallen in LOVE with your Mal, she is DIVINE! Well my dogs where dismal failures LOL except for Keiffie boy who was BRILLIANT ( His MUM is brilliant as well)! Gunna give that a go again, maybe after a few more try's the dogs will get the hang of it :laugh:

Some dogs I can't identify :laugh:

Nekhbet, is this your mal?

Sorry about quality, but I had to save for web. I'll link to the proper photos when they eventually upload!

Nat

post-9-1137321414.jpg

Edited by Tess32

Looks like her to me Nat ( I also think she was the only Mal there) She has the best temp on a mal that I have yet to come across. Correct me if I am wrong but is her name Minne minna or something like that?????.

G'day

Looking at the layout today, the maximum angle at any of the corner pulleys was 90 degrees so I guess that is some sort of constraint. The fishing line was fairly heavy but still broke once that I saw. This was simply tied off to join and appeared to not cause problems.. Working from the motor around, the course followed the following layout.

Right 90

Right 45

lef 90 at complex pulley arrangement

right 90

right 90 (apex at extreme distance from motor)

right 90

left 90 at comple pulley arrangemt

right 45

right 90

back to motor unit

Barrels placed over each pulley arrangement protected the dogs from contact with machinery.

2 meter lengths of 100mm orange poly pipe were cut into 270 degree section to prop over line for hiding spots.

Section near motor was protected by a combination of 2 metres of poly pipe and a half barrell to give resonable protection from keen dogs wanting to turn the pipes over.

Each pulley wheel was secured onto a vertical spike hammered into the ground. Arrangement for spacing from ground uncertain. Absenced of noise in a dusty environment suggests nylex bearings or similar. Possibly reused lawn mower wheels on vertical shaft with tyre removed

Motor unit appeared to be a washing machine motor or similar but was probably running at 24 Volts. Reversing was through a gate type switch with variable speed control probably by rheostat. Motor was mounted on a four legged A frame with base dimensions of about 750mm square. drive from the motor was carried accross an idler wheel turning from vertical (or about 80 degrees from horizontal) to horizontal.

Battery pack was mounted to a light wheeled buggy.

All pulley sheaves were fairly deep to avoid line jump offs.

Lure was a plastic shopping bag, tied at the bottom end and leaving handles loose. Handles were slashed through, probably to reduce entrapment risk.

I think the motor and battery unit were fairly elderly and a more modern set up would probably be farily easily designed.

Cheers

Graham

Looking at the layout today, ................. a more modern set up would probably be farily easily designed.

OK Graham,

You've got the job of technician and course overseer! Hey, We could modify your post into a shopping list and allocate each person a piece to obtain. Have it running in no time! :laugh::love::love:

Off to look at the pics.

Excellent pic of Elvis there looks like he is right into it!!

and some good ones of Max isnt he a bugger to photograph!!

ETA:

ooooh some nioce ones of Bodie with his spiffy blue flyball harness on too :laugh: (ran out of normal collars and leads)

Edited by Sparty

ahh she is a dog by many names

proper name is Wilhelmina but I shortened it to Mina

occasionally Mini moo cos she can be a stubborn cow, or Min min ... dont ask why but my dog has 50 cutesy names :laugh:

oh those photos are beautiful ... not too much foam!! :love: was worried she would turn into her usual Hound of the Baskerville look because of her drool.

I can hardly wait till the next one but making our own machine I'm all for!! and someones backyard would be great.

I smell weekend working bee :love:

lol here i am trying to describe to my hubby how it all works only to come on DOL and find an in depth decription on how a lure thingy is made... :laugh: and way to go.... me thinks we need to make one it was great to watch a think a few more runs and dogs will get the idea of it.,, the fact that he was sitting round in the sun and lost amost of his enthusiasum byt he time he ran doesnt matter we still had fun... was good to catch some DOLers and have a chat.. look forward to the next one in feb must be more organised and have another couple of runs..

Nat, excellent lot of shots. What would happen if you weren't there! I brought my camera but my friends didn't take any photos so we'll just have to run again!

Nekhbet, I'll second the workin' bee. Maybe we should start a new post for this project??? Get some feedback on interest and potential of it actually happening.

Sam

i'm in for a working bee as long as:

we can stay over nite

there is a lot of fattening food (preferrably charred beyond recognition by a drunk cook on a bbq)

everyone else enjoys as much if not more alcohol then said cook so then does not care if not even their dogs can chew the now unrecognisable carbon chunk that was a burger/snag/steak

now THATS a working be. Nothing like tools, motors and hangovers :laugh:

G'day

After long experience, we now have a house rule that Sirius does not get dinner on the night we have a barbeque. She seems to dine well enough on scraps and the odd sausage slipped her way by an indulgent mum.

After the busy afternoon, Sirius has been stretched out on my bed sound asleep and having doggy chasing dreams with lots of paw twitching. She has just woken up, refreshed and in need of a small snack before bed time.

Cheers

Graham