Lure Coursing At Kcc?

ish

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cloverfdch

I will definitely get photos of the sausages running :rofl:. Jeff will SP be there? I love watching Iko run she is so fast :thumbsup:.

What time does it start?

Just received a confirming e-mail from Stuart at Rhodesian Ridgeback Club - starts at 4.00, goes til 7.00 if enough dogs there to keep running. Melways ref confirmed is 128 - J.12.

We'll be there taking photos hopefully of all dogs running. Although Frodo is in disgrace, doesn't deserve the trip. Departed the off-lead area today after a rabbit, thought he was at lure-coursing or had died and gone to heaven. Thankfully Piper and Rheneas were on-lead so couldn't add to the obsessive confusion. How embarrassing.

G'day

We've got a very well behaved four and half year old Kelpie Pharoah Hound cross who we think would like a bit of lure coursing. Do the dogs have fun and what do you have to do to enter them. She's not Obediacne trained that we know of (RSPCA rescue) but well behaved

Cheers

Graham

G'day

I'm intrigued. Sirius was one of a litter of nine Pharoah Hound x Kelpies which were born 5 July 2001 and were passed over to the RSPCA. She was adopted and returned after six months. She was terrified when we got her and still urinates in fright if someone raises their voice. She also does not approve of my Mother in Law (who actually is very nice and has beagles) suggesting abuse by an older woman.

A near neighbour has one of her brothers from the same litter but he is much heavier than Sirius and a darker, almost liver colour. Sirius is a lovely flecked golden brown and has a lovely temperament.

Our nine year old son has a mild form of autism that makes communication difficult for him and he tends to get picked on by other kids looking for easy sport. Sirius has a little list of kids she won't let near him and places herself between any child who has ever casued problems and my son, barking loudly to warn the child off. We gather that Pharoah Hounds were historically raised with the family in Malta and naturally tedn to protect their pack.

She has a fairly strong chase instinct or maybe hat should read prey instinct. The photo is whilst inspecting a possum which had climbed the carport. It required her to stand on her hind feet for couple of minutes to inspect more closely.

Cheers

Graham

post-9-1136843462.jpg

post-9-1136843462.jpg

G'day

...  Do the dogs have fun and what do you have to do to enter them.  She's not Obediacne trained that we know of (RSPCA rescue) but well behaved ,,,

Hi Graham, yes the dogs have lotsa fun, some dogs don't "get it" til they have a couple of runs and finally cotton on. Some sookie dogs don't like to leave their owners side - if they are not dog-aggressive, usually someone else with a cheerful dog will let them run with that dog to give them the idea. Others are full-on from the start and know exactly what it is all about. Everyone enjoys, it is fun to watch.

There is no "application form" for entry: just pitch up on the day, pay a nominal amount to get a numbered ticket for your dog's run, (or a couple, spaced apart, if you think she would like two goes) and wait in line when you number is coming up. Unlike your Sirius, my three are obedience trained, but definitely not that well behaved - so not having done "formal" training is not an issue.

See you there.

Hi Graham

We are relative newbies to lure coursing as well, so you certainly won't be the only one with a "will they or won't they?" dog on the day! :mad

The setup we tried at the Pet and Pony Expo was completely enclosed so it was safe for everyone and relatively easy to round up dogs that wanted to keep going.

When we tried, we were on after some experienced dogs and thought, wow, we are going to look like dills :(, but we had the best time. It's hilarious to watch giant breeds like Great Danes stretch their legs and see the smaller dogs run like the clappers. I haven't laughed non-stop like that in ages.

There's some useful info on the Rhodesian Ridgeback Club web site (they're hosting the event this weekend):

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ashtar1/new_page_2.html

PS Sirius is a total cutie! :rofl:

Yay! Lure coursing! Will see if we can come.. Smitty had sooo much fun last time! Can't remember who took this photo, but here is Jeff's Max and Smitty both trying to get that bag!

post-9-1137056992.jpg

Edited by rosie_

yaaaaaaaaaaaaay todays the day ... Ive had my kibble and the dogs finished off her coffee ... oh ... wait ...

I think Mina knows somethings going on she's been whining at me all morning

Someone come tap me on the shoulder will ya (conversely come yank about 2 feet of black hair hehe) I've never met a DOLer before and I'm figuiring the only dog I could recognise is chezzyr's smooth collie ...

I'm the one with the spazmo Malinois :) All good behaviour will go out the window today guarenteed

Ahhh plus I want photos please, our camera has kicked the bucket so if someone could take a couple for me that would be excellent!

Jules

Edited by Nekhbet

About to bath my two so they are all ready for today, its their first time but i have a feeling they will pick it up straight away.

Cant promise perfect behaviour from Rory :) - he still has his bits intact and is being slightly unpredictable, growling etc (hes booked in for the 23rd of this month) - we are bring his crate hoping that people will bring their dogs up to him so i can monitor his behaviour and make him realise his behaviour is not on! Patience with him will be appreciated :)

Hey BT, I'm hoping to be there today too as I've never seen it before.

I've only had 2 hours sleep after finishing "Lady's story" for that other thread. Still need to mow the lawns, wash clothes, etc. Nevertheless, I'm planning to be there & hopefully will be bringing my dog/dogs with me so will come over to say hi & do the crate thing.

C U there!

Sam

We're leaving early too - hope to get a few runs for my girls. My sister Hayley/Chook is coming too.

Can I just ask please that people be a bit wary of Chili - she's had some fear aggression problems that seem to be resolved (she's been excellent at obedience club with other dogs) but if you've got a dog who might be a bit snappy - please don't approach her. She'll be on a purple blackdog lead/collar. PJ - please stay right away, thanks :)

Indi on the red lead/collar is very friendly and the pups will bark and sook at everyone but I'm sure they'll come around. They love cuddles too so feel free to pick them up.

Very excited!! Just getting my car music organised for the big journey.