Valium How Much ?

I only use valium (for my dogs! :thumbsup: ) at vet recommendation...and usually only for car travel for my car sickness girl, but sometimes to help her cope with a really bad storm (have used it for this once b/c we had a lot of storms and she was getting very distressed even with the DAP). But only on the advice of my vet. :rofl:

Why would you use Vallium :thumbsup: Cant you get a herbal calmer that has no side effects ask an expert in herbal medicine to make one for you it aint rocket science. I use one here that has no side effects and no risk of overdose either so it is safe even if kids get it ( not that they can ).

:thumbsup: why guess?? about medicine?? ekkk.

Handy to sedate a dog...bit wrong though, if it was ok, ive had sedated Jinta for her silly puppy era...2 yrs worth.

ask a vet and only give doggy valium(not human), under vets instructions. I know of a pappilion who had an OD of human valium.(accident, it ate about 10)

IMO medication is a little overboard for grooming purposes. I wouldnt even consider it, unless prescribed. Most dogs arent THAT crazed...

Jinta is a freak about her nails with me, but my vet doesnt sedate her to cut them.

Mums SWF is a great dog to groom, she can stand still for up to an hr(after bath..) while I trim her perfectly!

Please get Vets advise, not forum. At a guess, id say the weight of the dog affects the amount needed to sedate.

Sheltielover

Use rescue remedy.

What combs/brushes are you using on your sheltie.

Are you trying to get out undercoat?. If particularly bad then I would consider going to a groomer as the whole process of a good brush, hydrobath and a blow dry will force out the loose coat.

I have four shelties, two of whom have huge coats and this works a trick.

If you must give medication you will probably find that ACP will be more appropriate under these circumstances. However I wouldn't recommend using either valium or ACP for grooming problems, don't you have a noose to attach to your grooming table? If the dog is really bad you could also use a sling.

Hi Im not having trouble with my own dogs as they have been bought up getting groomed every day. I have been asked to clip this dog that is full on matted to the skin, when I went round to house the girl told me that the dogs bites, and that even a muzzle is no good?...

I told her that maybe she should take dog to vet and get it groomed there as I didnt feel comfortable to do this??

So thankyou for all replies although i have not posted I have been reading these.

I told her that maybe she should take dog to vet and get it groomed there

This is exactly what should happen.

Better for the dog and maybe the lovely bill they will get will make them groom their dog a bit more in future.

Having been a professional groomer myself, I would recommend that you don't do this job. It's really not worth it for so many reasons.

If you get bitten you will be put out of action and suffering from it for a few weeks. If you don't have the tools/skills already to do this dog - you will be spending money on them just so you can groom it.

Unless of course you are starting out in a grooming business and will use them in the future, I don't see the point.

If you haven't done a matted dog before I would dare say you will underquote your fee by a mile and that is probably why they are asking you to do it.

If you aren't experienced it will take you forever and if the dog is that unco-operative it will be a nightmare because you will be worried about hurting it as it spins around.

So many things can go wrong.

When I had dogs that were so bad they needed sedation, I made the customer set it up with the vet, and bring it to me sedated by themselves or the vet. I felt it was too much of a responsibility otherwise. There were only 2 dogs in 3.5 years that required this. Once of them it was just fear (a rescue) and after the first time, she was okay from then on. The other one woke up during the groom and was terrible. I did groom it in the future, under sedation by the owner.

It does sound like it needs to be sedated, valium won't really knock them out just make them feel a bit 'happier'.

I would echo nynka's advice- some good points there.

You may well need a #40 surgical blade if the coat is really bad anyway, and it is really easy to cut the dogs skin if you can't tell where the matt ends and the skin begins. :)

Mel.

I have to agree, if a dog can't be groomed safely, I have no hesitation in referring them to the vets for sedation and shaving.

I too have done a few dogs where the owner has administered vet prescribed sedative, but this too can be dangerous - sometimes even moreso as while the dogs reacions may be slowed, they can still sometimes wake up and/or put in a good bite when you are not expecting it! It is also an additional liability on the groomer to monitor their health - drugs are not lollies after all and can have unexpected side effects at times up to and including death. Better it is done with a vet handy to quickly deal with any problems should they arise.

You may well need a #40 surgical blade if the coat is really bad anyway, and it is really easy to cut the dogs skin if you can't tell where the matt ends and the skin begins.

No need for a #40..... a #10 can get through the deepest matts on any coat. I only own #10's and get through anyones coat. :mad

As for 'human' and 'dog' Valium. No such thing. Sorry. It is exactly the same drug.

No groomer should be actually administering sedative drugs for their CLIENTS dogs. It should always be owner responsibility and they should stay with their pet whilst being groomed imo.