Eagle Pack

cassie

Hi all.

I have recently started my (just turned) one year old male Bernese Mountain Dog on Eagle Pack, the large and giant breed puppy holistic variety. I must say, in only a few weeks, I can already see improvement in his coat (much more glossy and silky) and even his eyes seem brighter! As well as this, he really loves the food. In the past he has been a bit picky; he's been on both ProPlan and Science Diet and has never been really enthused about eating. (Strange for a dog I thought???) But now he loves meal times. I am so happy to have found such a great quality food, and I cant recommend it highly enough. :rolleyes:

Does anyone else feed Eagle Pack, especially this variety, and find it good? I would love to hear others' views.

Cassie

Hi cassie,

I feed Eagle Pack too, although i have two small dogs and they get the Eagle Pack Holistic varietys. I have found it to be a fantastic food too and will not be changing back to Eukanuba. The only problem i have found is that it can be a bit hard to get it :rolleyes: .

We brought up our danes on it too.. trouble is it isnt cheap in the UK ... £42 a 15kg sack.. is that err .. about $90 ? in oz .. but mine tended to get bored of it ,so i changed , but yes it seemed quite good ... :rolleyes: ca n I ask where you found it to buy , I have a friend in oz on this board who was interested..

Edited by Trevanizdanes

I'm pleased to read this feed back b/c I only recommend three kibbles to anyone looking to switch foods. The ones I recommend (two from personal experience) are:

1. Innova EVO (raw food)

2. Natural Balance

3. Eagle Pack Holistic (haven't used it yet but hoping to find it locally).

I only feed processed occasionally to our two bigger dogs b/c they're raw fed. Molly is my tiny dog that has to have processed for breakfast b/c she's a very slow eater.

Glad to hear of another success with EPH. :rolleyes:

We brought up our danes on it too.. trouble is it isnt cheap in the UK ... £42 a 15kg sack.. is that err .. about $90 ? in oz .. but mine tended to get bored of it ,so i changed , but yes it seemed quite good ... :rolleyes: ca n I ask where you found it to buy , I have a friend in oz on this board who was interested..

The prices are probably comparable with Oz, I pay $85 AUD for a 15kg bag of Natural...although I think with the exchange rate at the moment in probably works out to over $100.

What State is your friend in? We may be able to help out further.

Mel.

Trevanizdanes, where abouts in Australia are they. I'm in brissie and have a local supplier who does free delivery on the northside.

If they are else where, there is the Eagle Pack australia site on the web which lists all the people that sell it. PM me if you need help or the no. for the brissie one.

Lillysmum, i would definatly recomend trying it, and the great thing is there are several varitys in the Holistic line (have tried chicken, duck and next will be fish).

I use eaglepack - fish formula for my two as one I think has allergies. I tried prescription diest and the other premium brand fromuals for senstive skin etc , but the best result has been with eaglepack for fish for me. I order through www.petdeli.com.au and recommend their service too. Really I 'm just a satisfied customer that was going bananas trying to solve my dog's itching. I'm not claiming its all gotta do with the diet but it seemed to have helped a great deal.

I feed my 10 wks old pup Eagle Pack small breed puppy formula during the day and a mix of chicken, rice and vegetables etc for dinner...

I bought the 7.5kg Eagle Pack... but unfortunately my pup perfers the chicken, rice and vegetables... It is so hard getting him to eat the dry food now... :)

I feed both mine eagle pack holistic natural too.

Brigantia, that price is cheap. Where did you get it from? I am paying $85 for 15Kg but get it home delivered for free.

Andromeda, I mix the EP in their chicken, beef and vegies. So maybe mix EP with the chicken, rice and vegies and feed half during the day and the other half for dinner.

I LOVE IT! - But only one of my dogs does :) I'm going to take my own advice soon and MAKE them eat it!!

I don't feed kibble as a whole meal but the girls always get a bit of variety which is where the kibble comes in. They are currently pigging into Advance which suprised me as usually, they pretty finicky about processed foods.

On the minus side, I was feeding it to my dogs a few months ago when I didn't have as much raw on hand, so they were getting a few more feeds of kibble a week than normal. My Neo puppy started developing big sores at the base of her tail and the hair all fell out. :thumbsup:

Went back to mostly raw and feeding Bonnie Working Dog for a couple of meals a week and no more problems. It might have been a coincidence, but given that Eagle Pack is expensive, I won't try it again.

I feed mainly raw, but I like to have some kibble on hand for when I'm lazy or haven't been to the market.

All dogs are different though ... all the other dogs were fine.

I feed EP with rmbs etc added. It's fabulous and I won't ever change. I have one dog with a sensitive tummy and one with skin allergies and they do very well on it.

We buy in bulk from a distributor and get a good price - 15kg for $65 for the natural. By in bulk I mean at least 6 bags at a time :thumbsup:

Homer was on Science Diet large puppy(50 percent and 50 percent BARF) until he was switched to Science Diet ZD hypoallergenic which we have to feed him for the next six weeks during his food allergy trial. I still have almost a full bag of it but I might just give Eagle Pack a shot now that I have heard such good feedback about it.

My kittens are on Eaglepack dry food which they seem to prefer way over Royal canin. So I'm sure Homer will love it too!

Homer was on Science Diet large puppy(50 percent and 50 percent BARF) until he was switched to Science Diet ZD hypoallergenic which we have to feed him for the next six weeks during his food allergy trial. I still have almost a full bag of it but I might just give Eagle Pack a shot now that I have heard such good feedback about it.

Probably not a good idea until you've isolated what the allergens are.

I have tried both foods with my Stafford who has bad skin allergies and her digestive system is not so great either.

I tried the holistic fish and oatmeal because when you're doing a food allergy trial you need to feed something the dog has NEVER eaten before in it's life- it needs to be a novel protein and carbohydrate source.

I actually switched back to the z/d because her skin was starting to redden again and her ears and mouth were starting to get that yeasty smell. The EP was much better than a regular adult food, but not as good as the z/d, now she's back to Low Allergen instead of Ultra.

The reason they put the dogs on z/d is because the molecular size of the proteins is guaranteed so low (<3000 daltons) that it doesn't create a histamine release. There is no other food on the market that is designed that way.

Wait until you get your answers to your allergy testing- it's obviously costing you a fair bit of money- then by all means try different brands/foods afterwards.

Yes, that goes without saying but thank you....

I guess I did not clarify that bit in my message so it did sound like I was going to introduce him to Eagle Pack straightaway. I meant I had almost a full bag of the Science Diet puppy which is Homer's normal dry food LOL. You are right about the money part, it has already cost us a FORTUNE not that I regret spending any of it. Anything for my boy.

Homer will not eat anything else for the next 6 weeks or so till the time the dermatologist gives the okay to go back to his normal diet. Sadly, neither him nor we think that it is a food allergy as food allergy is relatively uncommon in dogs. Sadly because it is so easy to eliminate unlike a lifelong chronic allergy like atopy. Do you know what your dog is allergic to? In Homer's case, it is still hard to tell as he has responded negative to an allergy test probably due to his young age (7 months). he is also on ongoing medication to prevent the allergy from exploding.

There is a Eukanuba fish and potato prescrption formula available here which we were also asked to try first but Homer hated it. Yeah he's a bit of a spoilt boy :mad So we went onto the Z/D and he has been eating it okay.. not all that excited but he does eat it thank God. Haven't tried the low allergen one but I guess we'll stick to Ultra as Homer has kind of got used to eat. We also tried the z/d canned variety and it's this slimy jelly like mush.... Homer would try to eat it but it would keep falling out of his mouth and it smelled disgusting (actually not that bad, I'm just exaggerating).

Apart from that, the dermatologist has also okayed us to boil 3/4 good quality fresh fish and 1/4 potato or sweet potato as a supplement diet just for taste. He had tried neither of the two foods ever till we started the trial. It's just for a bit of taste as I feel awefully sorry that my boy who was raised on a BARF diet (well more than half of his daily intake was BARF) cannot eat anything other than kibble now. I'm a stay at home mum (canine and feline- I don't have kids yet hehe) at the moment so can afford to do these little extras for him. The dermatologist asked us to give him camel jerky as a training treat but no idea where I might find them in Melbourne. Does anyone know?

Staffordsrule thank you for the excellent description of the ZD. I had a vague idea about it but now I know how exactly they remove the allergen. My husband will be impressed when I enlighten him, thanks to you :( I feel so much better that there are other people there also with pruritic dogs (much that I want them all to be cured). I had started feeling that we are the only ones who had to go through this heartache.