Another Itchy Skin Q

two of my wolfie boys and our male pharoah hound, were so bad this month, despite everthing I tried, we ended up at the vets for depredil injections to break the itch cycle. I think its a combination here of the heat, paspalam, kikiyu grass....and who know's what

Fifi! Me too, but only my OEM X Wolfhound, and my sister's Wolfie X when he was here. Belar has gone bald under his leg (?) pits, and around his eyes and he's scratch, scratch, scratch. I'm leaning heavily toward grass as the culprit ... he comes in from a run with little spectacles of grass seeds.

It got much better over last winter, but has flared up again as the weather has got hot and the grass long.

I washed him down in Hoss Gloss, which helped a bit. The other dogs aren't affected at all.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be way off track here but this has worked for me. If the dogs skin in red and sore use some "bepanthen" (nappy rash cream). I find it relieves the itching, settles the redness and puts a barrier on the skin to protect it when she is back out in the yard.

I will add that I regularly used malaseb & phyxohex with little benefit and since using the bepanthen I have been able to reduce the use of steroid tablets to help with the itching.

Aphra, I tried all the herbal remedies, but this year is just a scratch fest, and I agree - grass & heat!

I also bought several tubes of Neocort cream, for the very worst areas under the elbows and around the ears & face.

good luck with your boofas, its very distressing to watch them so miserable, and it uses so many calories and energy to scratch constantly, that some dogs lose lots of condition.

fifi

Any thoughts on how often I should be washing with the Malaseb......... I don't want to use it too often and maybe cause another problem, but want to use it often enough to be effective.

They seem a bit more settle since bathing them this afternoon.

Every third day. If you can get it, buy some Aloveen Leave In Conditioner. It will help with the soothing, and stop and nasties getting in to the sores. Plus the Malaseb is very drying, so the Leave in Conditioner helps with that.

I would just hose the dogs down, rub in the Malaseb - let them play for ten minutes, then rinse.

I personally wouldnt use Wool Wash on my dogs. Dog skin is so thin. Although I have read of people having success using it - it is damaging long term.

Just read everyone elses posts, and yeh I agree with Izaviz, different strokes for different woofs.

Could it be the Bonnie? Ive had a dog get hot spots from that before.

As Fifi said perhaps just feed natural until it calms down a bit.

Edited by Dru

good luck with your boofas,  its very distressing to watch them so miserable,  and it uses so many calories and energy to scratch constantly,  that some dogs lose lots of condition.

fifi

Frazer had already lost some condition due to Casey being in season last month and him not eating for a week. Now this, he looks like an unloved mangy mutt !!!!!!!!

Dru, got the leave in conditioner also. I did pretty much what you suggested, except there was no play during the 10 minute wait. They like to roll in the dirt patch in the middle of the yard when wet, so got tied up........ not happy :laugh:

Will do them with the Malaseb mid week!

Edited to add that they have been on the Bonnie for ages, with never a problem. If it was the dry, surely it wouldn't be happening with all three dogs (to varying degrees).

Edited by Pointers Rule

Hi, I am new here. I adopted a rescue staffy over a week ago and since she has been here she has scratched constantly to the point of breaking the skin under her front legs and bits on her belly.

I have applied paw paw ointment which has helped a LOT with the itching and has soothed the rash however this morning the rash seemed to be a bit more defined as little red bumps. The biggest problem is stopping her from licking it all off :laugh:

I previously had a staffy with a similar problem and she was put on cortisone injections and tablets to ease her discomfort but I am sure this was a major factor in her early passing. I want to avoid drugs as much as possible.

I think it is definately the grass thats the problem, we have a mix of god knows what with a major part being kikuyu. I will be going out this week to buy some Aloveen, any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

TIA.

Edited to add she is on a raw food diet. The same diet she was on at her foster carers.

Edited by SarasMum

Ashanali - a few suggestions from left field. As your dogs are predominantly white, is there any chance they have either mild sunburn or some kind of skin reaction to the sun?

Or, have they been swimming in a dam or other fresh water - one of my poodles gets a very nasty skin rash as a reaction to bacteria in river water.

Seems to be the season for the itchies - FHR's Rogan and some of the DOL boxers look like they've got hives. :laugh:

50/50 Lucas paw paw ointment and sorbelene is an old nappy rash treatment - helps with the bacterial issues and is very soothing.

Edited by poodlefan

Poodlefan, I assume you mean me and not Ashanali.

The boy that has it worse has a large brown patch over his back, rump and down the sides and that is mostly where it is flaking, so I don't think it is sun related... more than likely heat related than anything!

The only water they have swum in lately is from their clam shell in the back yard.

Thank you for the ideas though and I will keep them in mind!!!!! :thumbsup:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed their dog more itchy this year than last year.

I use Quit-Itch on my two dogs. One inside dog, the other outside. Inside dog is fine no problems, just Milly, my TT who is outside.

I've been letting the kids handle the dog washing this summer due to back problems and after seeing Milly scratching like nuts the other day, I have taken over the washing.

I dont know what is causing the itchies more this year, but I can put it down to heat. Hotter this year than last year, thats for sure.

I do remember to use tepid water when bathing your dogs in any solution. As the hotter the water the more prone it is to more itchies. Have the water as cool as possible. Like when we bath a baby, the elbow temperature test. I also leave the solution in for 10 minutes tops. I get my son to set the microwave timer for this.

And I will be washing Milly every two days until I get this back under control. For days in between, I use Quit-Itch with a cotton ball straight from the bottle, on the itchies sores. Sort of like what Calamine does.

I have even got her on Phenergan this time, vets advice. 1ml to 2ml, twice a day.

And Millys itchies is not related to her white coloured skin/fur. Its her black spots that are affected and underneath. We have no grass/weeds to worry about. With this drought everything is dead.

Not so much darker skin PF, there just seems to be more pigment on Frazer's tummy than Casey's, who has a lot more white on her. Frazer's tummy looks like a bowl of chocloate and starwberry ice cream!

There pool gets refilled as soon as it starts to get empty, they dig in it!

I think we need a photo of this "icecream tummy".

Perhaps you could try refilling the clamshell every day for a week and see if it makes any difference. It wouldn't take long for bacteria to bloom in unchlorinated water up there in FNQ. :laugh:

Here is his bowl of ice cream. He is still a pup here, but you can see how yummy it looks.

Pf, when I said I refilled it when it started to empty... I am already doing it a couple of times a day.... doesn't stay in there long enough to get bacteria :thumbsup:

Have to say, I like the B&W and Liver and white Pointers best, even though I know there's no good Pointer of a bad colour. :laugh:

With two liver and whites.... I don't think it is any secret which colour I prefer!

Poodlefan, I wrote out a PM reply and the puter ate it, will try again later!

Tried to find a picture of Casey's tummy to show the difference, but her being the lady :thumbsup: that she is, there isn't one. You will just have to take my word that hers is all pink!