The Best Kibble?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi we have a 9 mth Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy and since we have had her, we have had her on IAMS Large Breed Puppy Kibble. It seems to do the trick and she likes it. Her coat is always so soft and shiny.

Although she did develop a taste for the Science Diet Kibble while staying in hospital.

I get the IAMS one from Petstock, can't remember the actual cost of it, but i think it is around $30.00 for 9 kilos???

It seems that when you post questions here on food for dogs you can open a can of worms, but everyone has their own experiences so here goes:

My first litter 5 1/4 years ago would not touch Science Diet or Eukanbua and I was introduced to Nutro, which unfortunately is not widely avail in Aus yet.

It has no chemical preservatives, no animal by products, no colourants, and its cereal is rice where as many others including the aforementioned have preservatives, by-products and corn.

I have since whelped another 9 puppies on to Nutro.

As a testimony to Nutro I recently gave a sample to someone here who has two extremely finicky ragdolls and guess what, they ate it, in fact woolfed it down.

The hardest thing with a puppy is not to introduce too much new food at one time for fear of the trots!!

Do you have any idea what the breeder weaned them on to in the first place?.

I wean mine onto raw premium mince (human grade), mixed with a little puppy food until at 7/8 weeks they are on puppy dry.

There is nothing to say that you cant feed other solids- be it cooked chicken (I would never use pet chicken mince as it is too fatty and goodness knows what else is in there), tenderloins are good, premium mince or even gravy beef (cooked).

BUT the puppy formula should be the main ingredient as it has all the vitamins, nutrients, etc- espec. with large breeds to ensure thye get the right formula.

This is only my experience no doubt you will get lots of other replies!!

There are only three kibbles I can recommend and all are imported from the USA. They are:

1. Innova (EVO is my choice b/c it's raw).

2. Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Organic Formula...not to be confused with a locally-manufactured product called simply "Natural Balance"...I wonder how long before the original asks for an injunction re: the name of the product.

3. Eagle Pack Holistic range.

Why? B/c the USA doesn't allow any horse meat or by-products into their pet foods. B/c the ingredients used are superior in quality and are usually organic. B/c the foods themselves are natually preserved not artificially. B/c you feed a lot less of these foods. B/c your dog will use everything in the food b/c it's ALL food.

If you want an average performance, go for an average food. But if you want healthy pups that grow at the prescribed rate, that thrive, that are in great condition, then use the better foods. JMO. :rolleyes:

What does the breeder recommend??

generally you follow there diet sheet or discuss an laternative that is breed suitable.

"natural Balance" locally has been around for a long time & mainly in asia highly sort after in Japan,i now the people personally

I too have a husky pup (8.5weeks), and have him on hills science puppy, and once a week, i'll will replace a meal with chicken mince. I think in a month i will also replace a meal with tuna.. only bad 2 bad things about hills science, is $$$.. in bulk i pay about $100 per 18kg, and for some reason it attracts ants.. need to keep it in a large airtight container.. the good thing is puppy loves it.. i use it for "learning treats".. i tried using cabanosi, but he prefers hills science hehe..

Hi, My pup came from interstate, as I was after a particuler coat and eye color combination. I have spoken to many of the breeders in NSW however none had the combination I was after for the last 3 months.. I know of one that has pups due soon, and they are confident will have that combination, but that meant another 3 month wait.

The breeders name is "Silkston", Its a mother and daughter team.. The daughter who is into showing, competing etc prefers shei pei's, the mom, who doesnt do the show rounds any more prefers huskies. Yeap I only got him for a pet, and as long as his temperment was good, and he was white and grey with blue eyes, I am very happy. As I only wanted a pet, I did not care if his parents won comptitions or not. What the judges are after, is not what I am after.. the "in" thing these days with the judges is white and brown huskies.. but cant say they appeal as much to me as white and grey.. and with the blue eyes.. he is a stunner.. Everyone that sees him thinks he is an extremely expensive show dog :thumbsup: The pictures i put on the site dont do him justice.. my photo skills are hmm lets say proffesionally challenged :rofl: hehe

hey again,

Did you get papers with him anyway? if you did I would be interested to see who he was out of?

I am unsure of what you meant about brown and white being the in thing, I have to say i havent seen a brown and white husky!

:thumbsup: congrats on your new puppy they are awesome

All my dogs love nutro. I own Miss Finicky who used to hate any dry food. I tried her on Nutro and not only did she woolf it down she tried stealing it from our other dogs as well. She has never done this before.

Here are the 2 links on Miss Finicky.

The first list the problens we have had with her and the second one is about the dry that she loves.

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?showtopic=49691

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?showtopic=52512

Edited by norskgra