How Many Words Does Your Dog Know?

Smart dogs with good training never cease to amaze me how many vocal cues and commands they end up understanding after the exercise has been taught.

I thought a thread on this discussion may be worthwhile.

I located a link to a study with a dog called Rico, which has been in many dog training publications etc.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/200...t-cwr060404.php

I have never counted how many words does my dog know but quite a few I think.

Apart from the standard obiedience stuff such as sit, down, stand, stay, come etc he knows quite a few usefull words for being a good pet at home. Considering he is not a working dog, nor a competing in anything dog I think he knows a lot for a pet.

Words he knows include names of people that he knows (not only family but my closest friends)

At home Id use stuff such as

go to bed

give me a kiss, give x a kiss

open (door/ gate)

go to x person

who is it?

where is x?

shake hands, give me other, give me a leg ( hind)

in, out, off, on, over

lets go, where is your collar?, where are my shoes?

leave it, get it, touch it, drop it

weaving, going backwards, doing circles, barking on command, heal to the left and to the right, play dead, bow and some other silly tricks.

I can put words into simple sentences and he also understands.

When I speak to him and there are words he doesnt understand he gets frustrated and whines. Too cute :laugh:

I read often that it's the body language associated with a word that is the key to the dog understanding what you are saying. Ben, in particular, would cue onto words when I was in conversation with someone else, not even about doggy things. Some I remember - calling out from the shower - "I need a clean towel". Ben had a piece of towel he played with, would go and get it if you told him to. Well, he arrived at the shower with his towel in his mouth! Friend was talking about a horse he was teaching to lead - Ben goes and gets his lead. My two now only have to hear the word 'car' regardless of the conversation and they're ready to go! Same as the word 'walk'! My mouser, Sam, hears the word 'mouse', in a conversation, doesn't matter who says it, me or visitor, and he's ready for a hunt. So IMO they 'know' those words as distinct to all the things they have been taught and are conveyed along with body language.

Eddie knows the obedience ones and he knows swimming (and whilst at swimming he knows want another go?!!!!)

He knows:

in the car

move over

in your bed

lets go

going home

this way

school

Cooper

Grandma

Who's that?

Bickie (he runs to the laundry and waits when I say that!)

Tryng to think of others, they know so much, we have to be careful!!!

Apart from the usual training commands (sit; drop etc.) and of course, trick commands (roll over; pray; etc), Kal knows:

1. Wait - to this she will stop and wait for me - it is different to "stand" as she knows I don't care if she sits to wait or turns around to face me etc.

2. "Wanna go for a drive?"

3. "Want your tea"?

4. car - which to her means she can get in. A handy command, as when I got her, I found she'd jump in any car that had its door open.

5. through - another handy one if I need her to go through doorways etc before me (she'd otherwise wait). Also used in agility at tunnels.

6. Dougal - her best friend

7. Monty - her 'cousin'

8. Mum & Dad - her second most favourite people

9. Kerry & Sue - other human friends

10. bath

11. guard the house/car (ie you can't come with me). To this cue, if she's home, she'll trot off to her bed and wait for her blanket to be put on. :laugh: It's a separation anxiety coping strategy we developed from her early days with me.

12a. off the garden.

12b. off - (ie get off whatever you're on .. don't return)

13. hop off (ie move, and I'll fix your bed ... then you can get back on :laugh: )

14. up ya get (ie you can get back on now ;) )

15. puss, puss, puss - always gets her ears pricked :rofl:

16. yes

17. you can come - always gets me a tail wag :rofl:

18. wag your tail - sometimes gets me a tail wag (depending on her mood :clap: )

19. You wanna surprise!? - gets very excited (for Kal) .. knows a special treat is coming.

20. out of the kitchen

21. oiy! a very mild aversive - ie you'll get in trouble if you don't stop that.

22. Wanna go for a walk?

23. Where's your bed? - to which she'll trot off to it (loves her bed)

23. Outside

24. Toilet - ie that's what I want her to do

25. Quick Quick - cue to eliminate.

26. **** - her private "eat" command.

27. Where's your collar - means we're going somewhere, she has to find it.

28. easy - a command I use when leading off the bike - cues her to slow down and be ready

28. liberal - another bike command - means "turn right"

29. labor - another bike command - means "turn left"

30. free - her command "release" word.

31. What? or Show me - when I don't understand what she wants.

32. jump - used in agility at the jumps

33. over - used in agility at the A frame

34. walk on - used in agility at the dog walk and seesaw

35. Work - used to 'cue' her to scent detect.

36. Find it - used to cue her to find the lemon scent :mad - well, that's what I trained her on. Haven't needed to find lost lemons, to date. :rofl:

37. lay down - informal 'drop' command. Doesn't matter if she gets up afterwards.

38. Leave - don't sniff at/touch that.

I'm sure there's more ... I'll add it to my list when I think of them. Some (but not all) of these 'cue' words responded to if/when they are accompanied by a certain tone; facial expression and body language (eg a finger wave/point/motion).

Funnily, the word "tea" doesn't require much else to support its meaning! :cheers:

This thread is handy. I've printed Kal's post and will give it to my sister. Kal's staying with her soon for a few days. Last time, I forgot to tell my Sister Kal's word for getting in the car. They spent an age saying all sorts of things. In the end, they had to pick her up and put her in. :cheer:

Edited by Erny

The regal beagles know all the standard training words along with the followng..

In the Car

On your Bed (day bed)

In your bed (crate)

Down

Now

Come- usually also done with hand signal that they react to aswell

My Parents and Brothers names

Book (as they steal them all!)

wait for food

wait to come into house

LEAVE

are you hungry (straight to their bowls and drop!) :laugh:

want to go for a walk- all dogs know that inc what time this word should be used :laugh:

home

cat- charlie nearly strangles himself when he hears that word

treat/s

water

spray bottle

wees!! always said before bed- they go racing outside for one last pit stop :clap: which for some reason i must accompany them on

but being beagles this is never shown in public ;) stubborn little.... :mad

Edited by crazy beagle lady

aww gee, my two know a heap... some words differ between them, but most are the same... in no specific order....

there are the standard obedience words, heel, sit, stand, drop, come (etc) and free as their release word... i dont use stay because once they're put in a position they remain in it until given another command or released, regardless of what i'm doing... Hudson knows quick! means to catch up if he's lagging... and both know that steady means to slow down and wait for me... important on steps... lol

they also have the informal 'lay down'... which means they can get up again when they want, but for now (at least a minute or so) they have to lay down... usually used when they're on their beds, or if we've stopped for a while while on a walk or something... and yes they do seem to know the difference between it and the drop...

a few general getting about the place words, like over, under, up, down, through... and leave it..

they both know wait, which means i dont care what you're doing, stay in that general vicinity - good when i leave them tethered for short periods, means they dont strangle themselves trying to pull against their leads trying to get somewhere, or alternately 'i'm going through this door but you're not following me'...

i sometimes use "ready?" with both dogs to let them know they're about to do something... they usually dont know what at the time, but when i ask if they're ready they become more alert and pay attention to me, awaiting further instructions...

they both have a 'look at me' command, for Hudson it's watch, Keish has look...

they also have a word for their dinner... Hudson - pig out, Keish - eat up... Keish also knows "munch ya dinner!" if she's just standing in the kitchen/elsewhere giving me a dopey look, after i've allready let her know its ok to eat... she'll usually go back to her bowl and at least stick her nose in it, even if she doesnt actually eat any more...

and Huds gets all excited when i ask "boy want his dinner??"

they both also know drink means water is on offer... and will both drink out of bottles or from my camelbak (i hold the straw down and squeeze it and they'll lap at the stream, is good as Huds can get a drink with his muzzle on this way!)

around the vehicles, i use up to get them both into the back of the ute... Hudson will jump straight into his crate, and Keish will put her front paws up on the edge and i'll boost her in... hop down means they can get out again, and both will jump down on their own... Hudson must first drop and get his muzzle on, Keish has to drop and be untethered, and they've both learnt the routine...

Hudson knows back up! as i have to get him to move backwards so i can open/shut the crate door (yes stupid design i know)...

Keish also knows "in the car" for when she's hopping into a sedan or wagon or something... and Hudson knows "guard the truck" when we leave him in the back of the ute...

Hudson knows "in ya pen" for when he has to go back in his pen... he's really good about it too... will often run back in there before i actually want him to... lol

he also knows "put it on" means he has to put his muzzle back on... i dont often have to actually tell him this, as he's usually knocking me over trying to shove his nose in it... the big doofus :)

and i use "giss ya paw" when i'm putting on or taking off his harness, as i have to put his right foot through it...

Keish knows a few more things, like touch, shake, speak, open & close (a drawer or door with a pull tag), "on ya bed", "where's Jeff? (OH)"...

'out' is get out of whatever room you've just walked into, and 'outside' is get completely out of the house into the back yard...

she also knows "move your arse! (get out of the way!)", "you're not going anywhere!"

and "F*** off!! (you're being incredibly irritating, please go away!)"

hehe

Keish knows a few more than Huds as she lives in the house with us, whereas Huds lives in his pen outside...

she also has an 'on' word for her security training - Huds hasnt gotten that far yet...but i think i'll omit those...

there's others i've surely forgotten...

and yes i do tend to talk to my dogs... and i know they cue more off tone / body language... but i reckon they've got most of the above words & phrases (which are normally said more like one long word anyway) down pat... :)

Command words that require action ;

Back up ( one of the first commands she learned)

sit

come

stay

wait a while :laugh: ( she knows this is a long "sit" )

shake

high five

drop

roll over

crawl

go get daddy/mummy

ready ?

get here now !

"wees now"

on your bed

get off the bed (ours)

go sit quietly ( her day bed)

get your bisquit ball ( treat ball)

wait ( non eating command) followed by ok

wait and sit ( followed by ok)

bring my socks ( she refuses to bring my shoes ;) )

out of the water , now !

heel

stay next to me

and my danger word to her to alert her which is a dutch word , it's meant to have her come back to me and stay beside me , but "come NOW" works just as well.

general words that she knows;

leave the cat alone

Banyo ( only ever used it once for the new dog up the road , now when you mention Banyo she's at the front door wagging her tail )

where's daddy ?

where's the milk ? she'll go to the fridge

ball , knows the difference between her 4 balls , get the blue , bouncy , tennis or sqeeky ball , most times she will bring the one you asked for

TV

dinner , cats dinner , meat , bisquit , lollies = all get the same drool reactions :clap:

car , she will then go and get her harness , never say it in jest or she'll sulk for real

walkies

beach

get a crab

and plenty more like she knows peoples names etc , if you say "Bev is coming" she'll be at the door

and she'll do zoomies and running on command , zoomies in the backyard , "go run" is for the beach .

oh and not forgetting the endless stupid game of ball play at night , OH will say get your ball and then they will spend the next 2 hours throwing the ball up the hallway and back :laugh:

Bender seems to know what I'm trying to say to him alot of the time, he's one smart cookie. Not that he's exceptionally trained, but he is smart. He knows basic training words..sit, stand, stay, fall (drop), drop (give), come, shake hands, roll over, "head down" he used to come and shove me for a pat but then I taught him to put his head on my lap.. if he shoves I tell him to bugger off :cry: I could teach him more, I think it's all about training.

The he knows stuff like "stop it" "P**s off" (hehe) "Shhhhhhhhh!!" (For when he's licking- it drives me mad but he always stops when I ask him to) "Do you want some food?" "Where's your ball?" "Wanna go for a walk?" "In ya get" (into the car), "on your mat", "out", "go outside", "have a drink", "eat" (ooh thats a hard one to tech- not!), "wanna treat?" "lie down" "come here" "what's that?" "come on" "play"

I reckon there's heaps more I can't think of right now :cry:

ummm and then there's Leela......she's just like the class clown... just there for the enjoyment of everyone else and never learns anything :rolleyes:

Guest LittlePixie

Tilly (7 year old Mini Schnauzer) knows..

1. her name

2. no :rolleyes:

3. sit

4. drop

5. stand

6. stay

7. heel

8. come

9. spin

10. twirl

11. high five

12. wave

13. beg

14. dance

15. close it

16. get it

17. shut up

18. hoop

19. weave

20. back

21. off

22. get down

23. up

24. bugger off

25. dropit

26. catch

27. leave it

28. dinner

29. come on (walk :cry:)

30. into bed

31. okay

32. you can eat (mum decided to start using that instead of "ok" to release her to eat her dinner)

33. where's mum?

34. out

35. in

I think that's all...

wow good thread :D

Ok mine know the following

Time for bed

On your bed

Wait (we go through doors first)

Daddy's home

Nanna's here

kids are home

wheres the kids?

Do the washing?

Get your chain (meaning leash and walk time)

Going to the park?

Go Toilies?

Wait a minute

Want your dinner?

Wanna doggy lollie? (treat)

Out the way (when they have to move)

Outside

be good (when they are left alone)

look after the house (again when they are left alone)

Gimma a kiss

Akuchi (another word for sit)

Moya (another word for drop or lay down)

Settle (for over exuberance)

Enough (for being naughty lol which is rare thank god)

Know anything about this? (when one of them has done something)

Where is your bottom supposed to be? (sitting)

Excuse me?

Lets have a look? (when they are wanting to show me something)

Get your Kong

Wheres your toys?

pick your bone up

Pick your ball up

put it in your box (toybox)

Wait (waiting for dinner)

Give (release toy, bone etc)

Geesh Lol I think theres more but thats enough LOL

Edited by Zia

I thought Cody knew lots but it turns out he doesn't know so much after all.

He's got the usual sit, stay, drop. As well as:

Tucker: dinner's ready

Treat: also T, Num Nums (T & Num Nums were created so people could talk about giving him something without him getting excited but he picked up on it).

Ta: - give it to me.

Uh-Ah or Uh: Stop whatever you're doing.

OK: Release word

Wait: Hang on a second, useful for crossing roads and when I need to hold him, also while he is waiting for me to say he can start eating.

Baz: His favourite inside toy.

Tyre: His favourite outside toy.

Ball:

Ready: For when I throw a ball at the river because if he's not looking when it lands he won't find it.

Bring it back: give me your ball so I can throw it again. (I never successfully taught my Retriever how to retrieve :D )

Car: We are going out.

River/Beach/Swims: Yay!

Office: Where he does his business. He will usually get a pee out every time and will do a number two if he needs to (very handy for travelling)

Go home: Dont you dare jump back in the water.

Where's the cat?: Taught to him by an ex, I think (hope) he's forgotten it now.

Where's daddy/mummy/baz/your tyre?

Drink: Have a drink (also helpful for trips)

Milk: favourite drink - will gulp a bowl of water down if told it is milk and not notice until it's too late. (mean trick but sometimes needs to be done when there won't be an opportunity for a drink for a while.

gentle: Take the treat, not the fingers

Cuddles: Mummy needs a hug

Bed/On ya bed: Time to sleep

Shake: Shake hands - seems to be an open invitation, the paw is almost always up.

Out/Off/In

Vet: Cody loves the vet

Massage: I'm going to try and brush you if you'll stay stil long enough.

Tummy scratch

That's all I can think of.

Cody also knows a few hand signals, mainly sit (hand goes up) drop (flat hand goes down), wait (hand out - palm towards him), go over there (arm out pointing where he is to go), Heel (hand down, palm to him as he walks beside me), Come (arms out or tap leg with hand).

I only ever took Cody to Puppy Preschool so almost all his training has just come from me, as a result I may not have done everything right.

Edit: I forgot Horses/where's the horsie? When we lived in Adelaide we drove past the racecorse to get to the beach and he could smell the horses and got excited when we went past. :D

Edited by CodyD

Moses knows the following words:

1. Moses

2. Right

3. Here

4. Come

5. Sit

6. Stay

7. Wait

8. Heel

9. Find it

10. Toilet

11. Go for a swim

12. Bring it here

13. Fetch

14. Tuggy Tuggy

15. Ready

16. Set

17. Go

18. Dump

19. High Ten

20. Paw

21. Punch

22. Over

23. Find "Juli"

24. Fetch

25. Weave

26. A Frame

27. Tunnel

28. Dog walk

29. Spin

30. Back

31. Turn

32. Ball

33. Get it

34. Drop

35. Stand

36. Give

37. Off

38. Leave it

39. Door

40. Drawer

41. Open

42. Through

43. Beg

44. High

45. Aye

46. Touch

47. Nuh

48. Yes

49. Bow

50. Crawl

51. Nothing for you

and I cannot think of anymore at the moment. Great article.

Edited by Toilet Duck

Jyra has all the usual obedience commands, in addition she also knows:

"Relax" (rolls over onto her side)

"Breakfast"

"Dinner"

Words producing a prey drive response:

"Where's the pussycat?" This gets the biggest response

"Where's the/your birds?"

"Where's the bunny?" Referring to soft toy bunny

"Where's the ball?"

"Where's the stick?"

"Are you ready...Go!"

If we say "Where's..." followed by my name or mum's or dad's name, Jyra will run to the front window and look for us coming home. Even if we are inside and sitting next to her, she'll run to the window and look out.

"Go quick" Do her business

"Don't" Warning to not do something

"No" She's done what she's not supposed to do

"Yes" She's done something right

"Mat/Go to your mat" She runs to her mat and usually drops, in anticipation of receiving a food treat hopefully.

"Into your kennel" Goes into her kennel.

"Bye" She understands this to mean that we are going out and she usually walks into her kennel and lies down.

I've been trying to teach her to "crawl" but I haven't really been trying hard enough and haven't had success yet. She can crawl if I hold food near her and pull it away, but if I increase the distance, she'll just get up and walk over to me!

I'm also trying to teach Jyra "give", but I haven't been working on that intensively either.

The doorbell tunes get Jyra thoroughly excited also.