Mars Coat King

KitKat

I use a Mars Coat King on the topcoat of my Gordon Setters and it is absolutely brilliant. One of my girls is dripping in coat and it's the only thing that keeps it under control. I also use a stone, but her coat is just too dense to use the stone alone. I use a size 20 blade and I wouldn't be without it :(

Toohey I've never used a 26 blade either, I'll have to buy one and try it. I need a finer blade in some places. Does it strip the coat closer to to the skin than the 20?

Toohey I've never used a 26 blade either, I'll have to buy one and try it. I need a finer blade in some places. Does it strip the coat closer to to the skin than the 20?

I'm not sure about stripping closer tot he skin.

Edited by Toohey

I don't have one yet, but I'm saving to get one for Jack. He's a double-coated ACD x GSD (we think) with a whole lotta wooly undercoat.

I currently use a cheap shedding blade on him, and need to upgrade ... so I'll keep watching this thread :(

So Toohey a 26 blade you reckon is the way to go? ;)

I don't know how a Springer's coat compares to a Cockers. Can't really answer that. Being a bigger dog the 20 is probably fine for you.

Do they work in a similar way to those shedding blades that look like fish scalers?
I have seen pics of them and am buggered if I know how they work. Do you know?

Have a look at the Furminator link. Thats what the coat king does but not quite as aggressively.

Pixie - having used both I would say that in my experience with using a Mars Coat King it takes out a lot more hair.

I am after one but can't afford $60 or so for a size 20.

ETA - Toohey the "fish scaler" style stripping blade is run teeth edge side down along a dogs coat the same way the hair lies. It takes out all the dead undercoat beautifully. It is really only suitable for short haired double coated dogs I think. Kitkat put me onto them - they are about $5 at "the Warehouse".

Edited by blacklabrador

Guest LittlePixie

Toohey, the fish scaler ones? I use one on my guys... no idea how it does it, but it does!! I get shopping bags full of hair off my guys...

I was thinking I probably won't need my 20 blade anymore. Give me a couple of weeks to make sure I don't need it, and I'll give it away to whomever pleads the neediest case ;)

I'll just check with some other breeders if the 26 will do us when she has her adult coat, or if I will still need the 20.

Which one would be good for a malamute? I could really use one as I am having a hard time using a slicker and comb

Actually while I am here - what is a good large slicker for a malamute. The one I am using is just not doing the job and is way too small. The ones in the petstore seem flimsy

Plushpuppy has a brush on their site and I wondered how that would go..

I was thinking I probably won't need my 20 blade anymore. Give me a couple of weeks to make sure I don't need it, and I'll give it away to whomever pleads the neediest case :(

I'll just check with some other breeders if the 26 will do us when she has her adult coat, or if I will still need the 20.

AAAHHH TOOHEY!!!

I just put a plea in the "Wanted" section for a 20!! I NEED IT!!! :rofl: I will pay you though!

Heres my case. My show girl has an area on her lower back that has a slight wave to it. It's just one spot but it detracts from her topline. I used a coat king on it and it took it away entirely!! No wave and no "bumpy bit" I have some important shows coming up... I am trying to title my labrador....I am as poor as a church mouse :(:rofl: I am a nurse ;)

Is that a good case? :cry:

Edited by blacklabrador