Mars Coat King

KitKat

I also have the 18 and that was recommended by the Mars suppliers at a pet expo.

Winterpaws - the 18 blade is apparently the one that will suit the Mal's as well...at least that's what the supplier told me ;)

I love my Coat King. I use a 26 on the American Cockers, adult and puppy. Doesn't suit ALL coat textures, but even on the less successful ones it still rips out the dead undercoat on the saddles like there is no tomorrow!!

I have SOOO many huge ugly callouses on my thumbs and forefingers from handstripping and the Coat King is an absolute godsend!!!!

AAAHHH TOOHEY!!!

I just put a plea in the "Wanted" section for a 20!! I NEED IT!!! ;) I will pay you though!

Pm me your address. I don't want money for it as I don't know what it would be worth. Have had it a few years. It hasn't had a lot of use as I show clip my boy and do the same mostly for my adult girl, specially as she is desexed now. Don't think it's rusty, certainly haven't left it out in the rain.

Just saw your edit. Don't worry, you were the only case! Thought I would be swamped!

Has anyone needed to have theirs sharpened out of curiosity? How do you maintain them?

Edited by Toohey

As a less pricey alternative to the "Pro" series in Coat King - there are the "Homeline" series Coat Kings - they come in three comb sizes of fine, medium and coarse, have a solid plastic handle rather that wooden, and are around the $28-$35 mark, depending upon blade size. They are still Coat Kings, but the blade can't be replaced. They are a great alternative if you want to try one without a huge outlay. One of our customers uses the "coarse" with their resuce Collie (had heaps of matting when they took her on) and has reported great success, using either some coat moisteriser or a product like seabreeze oil as they go.

Sags

Edited by Sagittarian

amazing how question appear here just when you were about to ask !;)

OK, I know now what to do with Solly. The Mars thingo - doesn't it snap the skin? Solly is very sensitive and cries even when I simply brush him. (he has fairly short coat, but double).

What is best to strip a dog more like a dalmatian, with short single coat?

OK, I know now what to do with Solly. The Mars thingo - doesn't it snap the skin? Solly is very sensitive and cries even when I simply brush him. (he has fairly short coat, but double).

Mooper has been good enough to put up the link :thumbsup: Thanks for that, saved me looking :thumbsup:

It takes little to no pressure to run it thru the dogs coat...and that's all you do...no pulling no tugging no nothing :rasberry: I've already dragged my new one all over my GSD :thumbsup: Got lots of coat with no effort at all :nahnah:

Also i was chatting to the seller and he was saying that they offered to brush out a husky one day (at shows they often request a 'volunteer' dog to brush out to show how well the coat kings work). The owner said that if the dog became even lightly uncomfortable, eg comb tugged at all etc, that the owner would know...why? because the dog would start screaming! :thumbsup: Well...after getting like 4-5 bags full of fur out of the dog the owner still hadn't heard a peep from the pooch. Dog was happy and the owner walked away with a cooler dog and about $60 odd less in money..lol.

Guest LittlePixie

Hmmm... you all should start wishing you were paid on a commission :thumbsup: I might start saving up for one. By the looks of it a 20 blade should suit all three of mine (Australian Terrier x, Golden Retriever x Rottweiler and GSD x) so that would be convenient....

*tries hard to imagine something working BETTER than her sheddingbladefishscaler*

Even after 10 years of double coated dogs - I'm pretty much a grooming ignoramus.

I've looked at the Mars Coat King website before and was put off by the terms 'stripping' and 'blades' as it sounded like the coat is actually cut in some way ... I've seen a comment that it should not be used too often, so it must do more than just remove dead/loose hair.

Can someone who has one explain precisely the action of the tool?? I'm looking at it for akitas and a woolie malamute.

regards

Dwynwen

ETA - I don't actually know what 'stripping' means in this context.

Edited by dwynwen