Raw Egg

KismetKat

As my kids only tend to eat things that are 'schnitzled" I do do a bit of egg and breadcrumbing - and generally let the furkid have whatever beaten egg is left (not much).

But how good is raw egg for a dog? Should I let her have raw egg more often? Perhaps I should let her have her own raw egg once a week? But hey, I buy freerange - they ain't cheap! :cheer:

What are the benefits (and pitfalls) of raw egg?

I don't know if there are any pitfalls... only the price of free range as thats all I buy these days :cheer:

I give Shelby a raw egg about twice a month. Sometimes she will get an egg when I've been caught unexpectedly without any food for her. I've heard crushing the shell up is good also...although I've never done this.

thanks gemi - and given the price of FR maybe once a fortnight is enough of a treat? :cheer:

I would worry about the shell tho - like u I think I will crack it open. Mind you, might not be be worse than some of the (unknown crunchy) things she manages to find at the park and crunch up befoe I can collar her...

I think I remember reading somewhere that a raw egg once a week was ok. There are some who suggest you shouldn't feed the whites of an egg to your dog (something about binding up the dog's ability to absorb .... ummm, protein - or some other nutrient - sorry, info not at finger tips, so can't recall), however I wonder how the wild dogs got on when they found a nest of eggs somewhere. Did they carry their yolk/white separater with them? :cheer:

Personally, I think that provided the dog is in good health and without such digestive/absorption issues, there's no problems with feeding a whole egg.

Before Kal became ill (swallowed a bone which got stuck - damage to osophegus and digestive problems ensued), I used to feed her the occasional whole egg. I usually cracked it open and crushed the shell up into small bits, because she whoofs her food up very quickly and I was concerned that the bigger shell bits would scratch on the way down.

however I wonder how the wild dogs got on when they found a nest of eggs somewhere. Did they carry their yolk/white separater with them? :cheer:

Personally, I think that provided the dog is in good health and without such digestive/absorption issues, there's no problems with feeding a whole egg.

Yes. surely the nests of groundnesting birds would have provided the odd treat?

But i AM a worrywart - much to their disgust I refuse to buy rollups for the NONfur kids!

I currently boil my eggs and peel the shell off for my 2. Aren't they spoilt? :cheer:

One of the cocker breeders I met at the Canberra Show said it was alright to feed raw eggs (not on regular basis) so I might start doing that and see how it goes. I was reluctant to feed them raw egg up until talking to this breeder because some people have suggested egg white isn't very good for dogs....dont remember what reason now.

Well my dogs get an egg about twice a week as we have chooks and they follow me down to the chook pen for their treat! I tap the egg on the ground for Sascha so that it gets atleast a small hole in it and then she'll chew it up shell and all. I give them to Beau whole and he knows how to put it on the ground and use his teeth to 'pincer' it and break it.

They love it and if I don't give them an egg they will follow me all the way back to the house with their noses on the egg basket!

Raw egg is good for dogs, good for their coats I think. 1 egg a week is all i would give them... too many can cause stinky farting! :cheer:

We give our dogs a whole egg, they run off with it and drop it in the concrete so it breaks! We have 3 hens... so fresh eggs aren't a problem. Once one of the hens had a nest in the backyard and the dogs kept appearing with eggs, so we had to watch the dogs raiding the nest!

I give Ed a raw egg in his dinner every couple of weeks

I crush the shell up

A couple of times I've given him a whole egg which is pretty funny to watch, just don't do it inside!!!

Too late... I went and did the shopping yesterday and, seeing the fridge was full, (and that it is winter here, kitchen is at 14°C), I left the doezn eggs out on the bench.

I went out to dinner last night...

Yep, you guessed it, a dozen squished half eaten eggs greeted me on my return and that really stinks :cheer:

The buggers had pulled the lot onto the floor and had proceded in sharing them amongst themselves... There was shell stuck to the floor with dried egg white that had to be soaked to get up. All that on a full stomach. I found one untouched egg under the kitchen counter that that had obviously rolled there and "escaped" the masacre :thumbsup: I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall :cheer:

PS : they usually get an egg each per week, they now won't be getting any until April !

I'm glad that shells are not considered as being dangerous though !

Egg whites contain a protein which ties up the vitamin, biotin. Many people avoid feeding their dogs raw eggs for this reason. Funny thing is, the yolk contains more than enough biotin to make up for any that the egg white binds to. So feeding raw egg whites alone is a problem; raw whole eggs however are alright. Boiling the egg destroys the biotin-binding protein and kills off any salmonella, so the safest thing is to cook them before feeding to your dog but I wouldn't flip out about feeding the occassional whole raw egg.

Hard boiled & mashed up, shell & all is the way to go when including eggs as a regular diet addition.

Having said that....ours get the left over egg & bread crumbs as well.

Edited by dougie

Erny it's "biotin" that is the nutrient in question.... but I think the general consensus on that one is that eggs are so high in biotin anyway that it's not an issue....

If you want to know more there have been quite a few DOL discussions to search through.

Thanks Blacklabrador. Yes, "biotin" rings a bell. I know I've got the info .... and I've written on it before myself. Just drew a blank tonight. :thumbsup:

Pampa - to your lot's escapades .... :cheer:

Edited by Erny

Too late... I went and did the shopping yesterday and, seeing the fridge was full, (and that it is winter here, kitchen is at 14°C), I left the doezn eggs out on the bench.

lol Pampa!!! Oh no!!!

That would have been very messy and yuck to clean

But oh so funny from here!!!!!

I feed Tyler a whole raw egg weekly. She takes it on her bed and cracks a hole in the top and licks all the runny stuff out, then she eats the shell. It is great to watch. They get good at it after a while and hardly waste a drop. Her first egg she just went crunch and it went everywhere and she was licking egg (and dirt) out of the grass for hours :cry:

I gave my 2 an egg each when they were outside while I was having my dinner. They were jumping up and down cos they saw it was an egg but as soon as i put it down, they sniffed it, bit it, let go and gave me the strangest looks!!!! :cry: They must have thought it strange that mummy would give them something they can't just gobble up :cry:

I can't find any remains so Im assuming they ate it (I put a little hole in both eggs). I'll try giving them another one next week and see how they go. If not, i'll just go back to giving them boiled eggs

I have an egg thief :cry: God knows how many eggs she eats :cry: Much better now that the chooks are locked up :cry:

Other than that piggy, I do give the girls an egg at least once a week, shell and all. They eat everything!

One of my girls can't have them as they make her sick and she vomits for 2 days afterwards if she eats anything with egg in it :cry: Guess that's the biotin thing.