Cesar Millan

I think he's probably kinda like Monty Roberts - can do some stuff, not more than any competent trainer can do, but is great at self promotion. Good trainers can impress people who don't know how to do it. I was working with horses some years back and the people I worked for (thoroughbred stud) called what I did "magic" but it wasn't (and I told them so!!), just good training principles applied consistently. Maybe if I was into self promotion I could have been an Aussie "Horse Whisperer"! Only I think it's wrong to try to mysticise training.

Edited by sidoney

:D I saw him work with Oprah's "dog agressive" cocker on one of her shows. In that case he was more emphasising handler error and owner issues :cry:

I wouldn't mind watching the show...

From his web site:

Dogs are not humans. Before they receive love and affection, they need exercise, clear direction and leadership. Giving them love alone doesn't create balance in their lives. Be a pack leader!

Rehabilitating a dog is not about "fixing" it. It's about you, the owner, creating the intention for what you want, not what you're feeling. Dogs pick up on feelings of fear, doubt or worry—and they will move to fill them by attempting to become dominant.

Practice unwavering leadership every day, especially on your walk. The energy you're projecting internally is the message you're sending to your dog.

Dedicate at least 45 minutes of time to the dog's walk in the morning. Let the dog know you have a consistent pattern that you expect it to follow. Utilize your dog's energy in a positive manner.

Don't expect more from your dog(s) than your own children. Dogs need discipline, too. Give them rules, boundaries and limitations as well as love.

Avoid nurturing your dog's fears or unstable mind. Imagine a successful scenario and hold it in your mind when dealing with your dog.

You are the source of your dog's energy. You are the role model.

Challenge the dog's mind—dogs want to know what to do with their lives. Let the dog work for your affection. Once in a calm/submissive state, your love will intensify those qualities in your dog.

Dogs need "on" and "off" time. Engage them fully in structured times together; then they can relax and avoid impatient or destructive behaviors.

Dogs show us how much we can learn—they live in the moment. Try it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I reckon, the above is not bad at all.

Just to add, I think most of us have made mistakes in training our dogs, including myself!!!!

I think the number one mistake is allowing the dog to make a series of mistakes, then possibly loosing our temper, instead of breaking down the tasks to drill form again.

I think he's probably kinda like Monty Roberts - can do some stuff, not more than any competent trainer can do, but is great at self promotion. Good trainers can impress people who don't know how to do it. I was working with horses some years back and the people I worked for (thoroughbred stud) called what I did "magic" but it wasn't (and I told them so!!), just good training principles applied consistently. Maybe if I was into self promotion I could have been an Aussie "Horse Whisperer"! Only I think it's wrong to try to mysticise training.

Personally I find the way you refer to anyone who has done what they have done for the animals and people who train them pretty offensive.

Without people like Monty Roberts, natural horsemanship would never have been promoted en masse for the benefit of people and horses around the world and he himself emphasises that it is not magic, it is something that everyone can do with ease.

:D I saw him work with Oprah's "dog agressive" cocker on one of her shows. In that case he was more emphasising handler error and owner issues :cry:

Haven't seen this guy work .... but he's got my vote just there. :love: So many televised speakers avoid criticising the owner for popularity reasons.

Haven, I think what Sidoney is trying to say is that there are many fantastic trainers out there, be they horse, dog or other, and just because one happens to bring his/her abilities out into the spotlight doesn't mean there aren't others out there with the same capabilities as those without 'tags'. To brand someone a 'whisperer' of some sort is a compliment to that person but for someone to brand themselves can be seen as self-promotion (not that there is anything wrong with this).

I'm not into horses and don't know who Monty Roberts is and by the sounds of it you hold him in high esteem, however there are probably dozens of others doing the exact same work as Monty that we haven't even heard of because they are either deceased, modest or don't have a good publicist.

Having said that, if someone with knowledge of their profession and skills can communicate these to others for want of better relationships with our pets, then that is fantastic and we raise our hats to them.

Cesar Millan sounds very much like Bill Campbell, Patricia McConnell, Jan Fennell.................

Now guys and gals,

Should I whip my trusty credit card out and buy his DVD?.

My (mean, LOL) husband has made me promise, not to buy any more productions.

Poor guy as at work today, might start "nagging" when he arrives home.

Now guys and gals,

Should I whip my trusty credit card out and buy his DVD?.

My (mean, LOL) husband has made me promise, not to buy any more productions.

Poor guy as at work today, might start "nagging" when he arrives home.

There's low-quality copies available on bittorrent if you want to try before you buy.

I don't have a problem with a trainer having a high profile. Hell, if the average non-training dog owner picks up a few helpful hints, these folk can have all the profile they want.

I DO have a problem when such trainers say "my methods are the only methods and all other methods stink". I can think of an extremely high profile natural horsemanship trainer who did just that. Gawd, it was like being in a cult around some of his more "motivated" accolytes. Amazing the amount of merchandise he managed to sell to them.

If you have to put constantly put all other trainers down, you lose me. I prefer trainers who are happy to be judged by their results, not their PR machine and who can acknowledge that other trainers/methods might possibly have something to offer.

Edited by poodlefan

Kelpie-i pegged what I was saying. Thanks. :D

And poodlefan also - there are people (in many disciplines) for whom it's "my way" or "the wrong way". I have not named any specifically.

My example was an example of someone who does something and which others may (and have, I've heard them) misinterpret or misunderstand as some kind of pseudo-mystical process. This can happen with or without the originator's say-so.

Adding: also I am suspicious of people who have "acolytes" as that indicates that the acolytes are closing their minds to alternatives - where does that come from? From the leader? From the follower? A combination?

I also wonder at the need for vehement reaction to what was a pretty mild and generalised critique.

Edited by sidoney

Erny,

No problem. But..................I have lots of videos and DVDs. Maybe a sleep over, will be necessary. Actually lots+++++. Then of course, discussion would take probably thrice as long.

BTW, just to be clear, I am not a person to change methods lightly, from viewing various productions (some in my opinion are a complete waste of time), but.................................some are AOK, after all I am trying to find the best, to suit my requirements.

I have been proven wrong in many instances, and take no insult of such. I love learning and being a better trainer to my dogs.

Lablover and others,

Can you suggest any good titles that you have purchased on DVD seen as though you have a library? about training in drive, working dogs etc?

I got a couple of Leerburg Productions (Raising a working puppy & Training Drive Focus & Grip) which I found informative, not that I have had a chance to put them to use much though but they support a lot of other things that I have read / heard / seen. I think I will generally adapt things as I go though if a certain method isn't working for me.

Has anyone seen the Dog Show programme on Fox? It cracks me up. It is a reality series about people going to dog shows. I don't learn much out of it thats for sure but it is great entertainment.