How Do You Stop A Dog Growling?

My boy is around 2 yrs old and I got him from a pound last August. He has been going to training and doing very well but one problem I still have is he growls when he is not comfortable with what is happening around him. I have been telling him 'No' in a very stern manner and he knows he is in trouble but he still does it. Today after our walk in the park I picked him up to put him in the car and he growled at me. I am sick and tired of people saying 'you have to stop him doing that', because it's easier said than done.

ignore it for 2 weeks, no response nothing because he thinks you like it if you respond, he loves you, if you shout at him tis ok, he loves you anyway :mad and he got some attention for it. What a great game.

Just try ok?

oh and make sure he isn't sore under his tummy when you lift him

Edited by Rusky

I think the growl is a warning. You say it happens when he is not comfortable etc.

The issue is with his level of "comfort", not the growling. It is merely a symptom, not the problem itself.

I'm sure those more expert than I will appear here very soon! :cry:

You may like to check out a book I found helpful with our re-homed snapper - "Getting in Touch With Your Dog" by Linda Tellington-Jones.

It is hard to know what previous experience has shaped the "attitude" of re-homed dog. I guess that is half the fun! :cry:

:mad

IMO a growl is a warning and must be heeded rather than ignored or the dog may go further and snap/bite. Address the reasons your dog is growling and you may see results (less growling) rather than punishing him for growling.

Is it better to stop him growling only to have him attack you (or someone else) b/c he no longer feels it is acceptable to give a warning, therefore launching a full-on attack instead? :mad

I agree with Noisymina, the growl is a warning that your dog is uncomfortable. Take that away and you have no idea when the dog is worried or uncomfortable or even in pain. You need to find out what is making the dog so uncomfortable and T-touch is a great way of helping the dog to relax. The book is actually called "Getting in T Touch with your dog." Have a look, it may help to get the dog back in touch with itself.

Edited for spelling

Edited by Alison

I'm with Sid, I've had a dog that was diciplined when he growed and then when I got him he would show no obvious sign and just launch an attack, it took quite some time before he started giving warnings again.

I'd probably be more inclined to see a behaviourist :laugh:

Thanks for all the replies. I was ignoring him and letting him growl for fear that if I stopped him then he would start biting instead but at dog training they don't like dogs growling so I have to do something.

Last night at training when he started growling at a big Rotty I removed him from the situation and concentrated on getting his attention on me rather than the Rotty. By the end of class he was in a drop stay for 3 minutes right beside the Rotty and didn't even flinch.

Thanks for the advice and I will definitely have a look at that book :laugh:

Last night at training when he started growling at a big Rotty I removed him from the situation and concentrated on getting his attention on me rather than the Rotty. By the end of class he was in a drop stay for 3 minutes right beside the Rotty and didn't even flinch.

Yup that is exactly what you should do :laugh: he is telling you very efficiently that he is scared/unsure about the situation that he's in, if you take him away back to his comfort level, you'll build his trust in you. He will start to feel more confident that you will protect him from situations where he feels uncomfortable. ;)

Mel.

I was ignoring him and letting him growl for fear that if I stopped him then he would start biting instead but at dog training they don't like dogs growling so I have to do something.

so what did you do?what did he do? and what advice does the trainer offer you?

Dogs growl at training, dogs bark at training, dogs run off and all sorts of combinations happen at training. That is why they are there.

So who doesn't like the growling? you? the person next to you?

make your margin more than 2 metres to a comfort point.

Your trainer? ask them for help.

tassie that is a great article, I love her stuff cheers

Edited by Rusky

I something further to place in this post, and was wondering wether someone could give me some advice. I adopted a 2 year old terrier x from a rescue shelter about 2 and a hlaf weeks ago...she is nothing but delightful usually....but on 3 occasions. The first was when my mother (who i don't get along with) came around, and had a verbal altercation with, and then she had a deep growl, and every time my mum went to go near her, she went to bite her, secondly, I have a 2 year old son, who she is usually great with apart from these 2 situations. The first being 3 mornings ago, when my son was eating breakfast, and my son gave her some toast, and then tried to take it back. She had a fairly high pitched growl( didn't sounds aggressive) and then went to bite him.....and then the other day, my son went to tuck her into her bed, and the same high pitched growl and nip..........Can anyone tell me wether this is normal, the best way to react if she does this again, and also wether it is vicious or not...could it just be pecking order as she has never done this to me or my Husband? thanks Charene

I something further to place in this post, and was wondering wether someone could give me some advice. I adopted a 2 year old terrier x from a rescue shelter about 2 and a hlaf weeks ago...she is nothing but delightful usually....but on 3 occasions. The first was when my mother (who i don't get along with) came around, and had a verbal altercation with, and then she had a deep growl, and every time my mum went to go near her, she went to bite her, secondly, I have a 2 year old son, who she is usually great with apart from these 2 situations. The first being 3 mornings ago, when my son was eating breakfast, and my son gave her some toast, and then tried to take it back. She had a fairly high pitched growl( didn't sounds aggressive) and then went to bite him.....and then the other day, my son went to tuck her into her bed, and the same high pitched growl and nip..........Can anyone tell me wether this is normal, the best way to react if she does this again, and also wether it is vicious or not...could it just be pecking order as she has never done this to me or my Husband? thanks Charene

Any dog that bites or attempts to bite is dangerous, this is a very serious situation especially as you have a toddler who could be badly injured if she connects. I would be contacting an animal behaviourist about this matter and in the meantime I'd be keeping her away from your son. If this dog bites someone you could be in serious trouble and the dog may have to be euthanased, I'd be seeking help asap.

in reply to the original post, i made the mistake of ignoring my rotty's growls, and it got me bitten...

he was a private re-homing case, i am his second human... he was beaten quite severely by the neighbours of his previous owner (who loved him to bits, for the record), and learnt that the correct response to a new unfamiliar human was to bite them before they could hurt him...

i had him in a pen at home for a month before i could get him out and handle him... he started off pretty good with me but would always growl and carry on, and i'd ignore him... one night he just turned around and bit me...

we're pretty much sorted out now, though... but i think you should really go and see a qualified behaviourist before your situation escalates... the lats thing you need is for your dog to bite someone...

my rotty is just so damn lucky that i am so understanding/forgiving, and also that i have a purpose in mind for him (security/protection dog), otherwise he would long ago been given his wings...

Thank you all so very much for your advice. I do take this very seriously, and will be in touch with a behaviouralist. Like I said, it doesn't seem malicious, just trying to protect her things I think, but I can't take any chances, but in my heart I can't give her back or away again either. As I do have another one on the way in 2 weeks, it is fairly full on, and with a new one around, you can never be too careful. Will check the yellow pages for behaviouralists....thanking you all, Charene.

(I think it is also harder to know with rehomed dogs, as you don't know exactly what type of past they have had. She tends to cower when a voice is raised, and when you go to put her lead on her, she cowers too..... I am presuming mayba na abusive past. She was saved from Renbury farm on the 2nd of March, and I adopted her from K9 companions. I trust Carole's judgement 100%, and feel that we might just havea behavious hiccup here, nothing too major:))

Tassie thankyou, that is a great article ;)

so what did you do?what did he do? and what advice does the trainer offer you?

I have been told a few different things and was getting quite confused and frustrated.

So who doesn't like the growling? you? the person next to you?

Everyone, which is understandable because they don't know if my dog is going to go the next step and bite.

Your trainer? ask them for help.

Will do

I think now I have decided on the 'removal' approach I will stick to that. One of the problems is probably the fact that I have been inconsistent with him in what method I use because everyone tells you something different. I will also talk to the trainer.

Edited by Buster's Mum

I am so sorry for you it is a rotten situation for you to feel like that at training. I didn't realise that this was happening regularly I really thought it was maybe being a rescue just wanting his own space from you to settle in and feel comfortable. Anxious dogs really do need to be left to approach you, if you ignore they approach. Sorry I am not explaining this too well.

You need to call your trainer and ask for help, soon.

If you don't feel that you are comfortable with your trainers assistance then speak to the head trainer. I guess you are at a club? If you don't get any satisfaction or help then call your vet and see if they can suggest someone in your area who maybe does a little one on one to maybe, just maybe use a clicker.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Thanks Rusky.

Overall he is really pretty good and has progressed quite quickly at training. There are a couple of dogs that he just does not like so will growl if he gets close to them. I try and place myself away from those dogs so we only get near them doing certain exercises.

I'll speak to the trainer when we go to training next.