Any Tips On Giving Tablets?

jfw

One of mine is food hungry and will eat anything lol.

The other I have taught to take a tablet on command.

Started out, offering the treat but giving the tablet instead and still holding the treat out so she would swollow what was in her mouth to get the treat OR putting them in at the same time, treat at the back. It the tablet tastes ok she will chew it but if it doesnt she will swollow it whole.

The second one I just tell him the first dog will get if he doesnt eat it and its gone.

Mick takes tablets & capsules twice a day wrapped in a sliver of sliced Devon meat. He just swallows it whole without chewing.

If I call out "Mick, pills!!" he comes running as fast as his little legs will take him :D

I agree that for a dog who is medicated every day, it does have to be a positive experience :confused:

Gently grasp your dog's head using your non-dominant hand. If you are

right-handed, use your left hand. Place your hand on top of the

muzzle with your thumb on one side and your fingers on the other.

Avoid holding the lower jaw, and do not hold it so tight that it is

uncomfortable or the dog cannot swallow. You may need someone to help

hold the front legs and chest of the dog to hold him/her still.

Wrapping the dog in a towel or blanket is a good restraint technique.

Once his head is held in place, raise his nose to point toward the

ceiling and firmly squeeze in just behind the upper canine teeth. The

mouth should then open.

Use your other hand to administer the pill. Place the pill between

your thumb and forefinger. Use your little finger, ring finger or

middle finger to lower the jaw by applying pressure to the teeth

between the lower canine teeth.

After the mouth is fully open, place the pill as far back in the

mouth as possible. Avoid placing your hand too far into your dog's

mouth. You may stimulate the "gag reflex" and this will make the

experience unpleasant and make future medication administration

attempts more difficult.

Close your dog's mouth and hold it closed. Gently and briefly rub

your dog's nose or blow lightly on the nose. This should stimulate

him to swallow.

The quicker you perform this procedure, the more cooperative your dog

will be.

Always remember to praise your dog and offer a treat after receiving

medication. This will help make future medicine times easier."

I pop the pill in at the side of the mouth and push towards the back of the throat with my finger.

With Jake- APBT - it was reasonably difficult to acrtually get his mouth open if he did not want to open it but we still managed.

No matter how gently, no matter how far down the throat (even if you put in down as far as the stomach...) no matter how much blowing, or cheese, or peanut butter, my poodle won't take a tablet. She is was too cunning and with a shake of her head (once you are SURE the pill has gone down) she flings the offending pill to kindom come... She can swallow 50 times and still not swallow the tablet! :) I finally defeated her by buying some dog chocs - (the Friskies carob ones) cutting them all in half, then melting a couple and with the back end of a teaspoon sticking the pill to the chocolate and covering it with chocolate so that not one bit of the pill is viewable/smellable. She is happy to eat them and has yet to discover the terrible secret of how I get her to take her pills (I hope she doesn't read this!). :thumbsup: I have a tin of the chockies marked 'MEDICATED'. It is a bit fiddly, but so easy once they are all done.

I'm another who swears by the tiniest ball of mince with the pill in the middle. It has never failed me!

This morning, all I had on-hand was frozen lamb mince. Looks like I'm cooking something with mince for dinner tonight, having thawed the whole lot of it for a tablespoon of the stuff!

No matter how gently, no matter how far down the throat (even if you put in down as far as the stomach...) no matter how much blowing, or cheese, or peanut butter, my poodle won't take a tablet. She is was too cunning and with a shake of her head (once you are SURE the pill has gone down) she flings the offending pill to kindom come... She can swallow 50 times and still not swallow the tablet! :) I finally defeated her by buying some dog chocs - (the Friskies carob ones) cutting them all in half, then melting a couple and with the back end of a teaspoon sticking the pill to the chocolate and covering it with chocolate so that not one bit of the pill is viewable/smellable. She is happy to eat them and has yet to discover the terrible secret of how I get her to take her pills (I hope she doesn't read this!). :thumbsup: I have a tin of the chockies marked 'MEDICATED'. It is a bit fiddly, but so easy once they are all done.

Just wanted to say WOW you have a hard one there!!

Just wanted to say WOW you have a hard one there!!

You got no idea... the dog is now about 16 years old, so I do know a bit about how she is going to react. I get lots of 'advice' - like; "when the dog is hungry she will eat" (food with a pill in it). NOT this dog! She would starve herself to death first. It has been a real chore keeping her going this long, but she is my dog and I love her. :rofl: She won't touch peanut butter, raw food (bones, mince etc) vegetables, honey, yoghurt etc. The only thing I know she will eat for sure is chocolate(carob). Now I have another dog as well, a cocker spaniel pup. She will eat ANYTHING ;) :thumbsup: rocks, paper, cardboard, sticks, plants from the garden, me... what a wonderful contrast she is. :)

I use cabanossi as training treats and have found that tabs push nicely into the end of broken sausage. We do a bit of training and have the loaded sausage piece ready to treat. Black and Gold cabanossi from IGA costs around $2.00 for 250 grams.

All my dogs take tablets no problems . I just tell them it is a Lolly LOL

Then give them a real treat.

I did have one years ago i just prised his mouth open and put the tablet on the back of his tongue closed his mouth and gently stroke his thraot till he swallowed worked every time.

My last dog, Sam had to take pills for a thyroid condition. He ate them straight out of his bowl with his dinner. Never a hassle.

I've only had to give worming pills to Cody. I just put them as far back in his mouth as I can and hold his mouth closed while rubbing under his chin. He doesn't mind. He lets me do whatever I want with him, I think he knows I'll never hurt him.

my maltese must have been related to the poodle. She first of all took tablets with cheese in them but then learnt to eat aroudn the cheese, same with chicken, mince etc.

The vet even had a hard time trying to give her tablets once although she assured me she had never failed before she failed with Daisy.

I got Dom pate - tastes in my opinion horrible - but Daisy loved it and a good splotch of that on the tablet no problem! But the funniest thing was that they didn't have Dom one time, so I got a far more expensive brand, and Daisy wouldn't touch that with a bar of soap!

Philly cheese used to work sometimes and a friend swears by vegimite.

No matter how gently, no matter how far down the throat (even if you put in down as far as the stomach...) no matter how much blowing, or cheese, or peanut butter, my poodle won't take a tablet.

So pleased to read this...I am not alone in that our tiny Tibbie girl, Angel, will not take a tablet. An experienced vet, ex-Rugby player, once gave up because he could not get her tiny locked jaws open.

The funniest hint I ever read was in an old DOL thread on this topic. Somebody used to crush the tablet, mix it with peanut butter, then smear the peanut butter down the front of the fridge. Their dog then used to spend ages licking...determined to get the last piece of peanut butter off the fridge.

I found that when my mutts went on tablet strike I could coax them if I coated the tablet in promite. Suddenly the tablets were great. I never did smear it up the fridge in the hope that they would lick it off.thats brilliant!

Like someone else has mentioned, I put the tablets in a ball of beef mince, you can also add a small amount of Nutripet/Nutrigel, or if the dog is particularly fussy :rofl: , you can try Liverwurst which you buy at the supermarkets in plastic wrappers shaped like a sausage.

If I have to give my dogs a tablet I crush it up and mix with a teaspoon of honey, well they go absolutely crazy for their tablet :rofl::rofl: as the song goes a teaspoon of sugar (in my case honey) makes the medicine go down. ;)

A bit of mince, then mince with tablet (must be prepared beforehand, as she will watch me), then mince again. If the second dog sits closeby, thats better. Butter works well, too.