How Often Do You Wash The Dog?

OK I need to know how often I can watch my doggy... I dont want her to have that doggy smell they get as she comes inside often and I dont want the house to smell like dog either lol

I have been washing her twice so far in 3 weeks, but I was thinking twice a month would that be ok?

The vet gave me some good dog wash to wash her in and I wash her inside in my bath tub (I have a hand held shower thing so works well) so she nice a warm :rofl:

Just want to make sure this is ok....

Cheers :laugh:

Mine gets a bath every 3-4 months when he goes to the groomer.

I do have to wash his jowls & the tips of his ears often though.

His jowls get a little stiff from eating & his ears from dragging on the ground.

Bonz

Edited by Bonzawani

i never wash my girl.

She plays in the river and with the hose every now and then. Apart from that she smells better without a wash and her skin doesn't dry out. I brush her every other day tho...shepherd hair is a PAIN!

I only wash them when they're smelly. Most recently was just after Mother's Day weekend when Orson started having diarrhea. I left them with my mum's dogs and he must have been really nosy and started eating their food after eating theirs and it upset his tummy *sigh*

For some reason, only his front legs were smelly but I chucked both of them in the shower and washed them with Aloveen. They now smell devine :rofl:

My girl gets washed once or twice a year, and only in very warm weather. Or of course, if she rolls in something rotten or some other miscellaneous accident :rofl: . Her bedding is washed and aired very regularly, and she does not smell at all.... actually she does, she smells like a lovely warm nacho CC corn chip... TRUE!!!

When you wash your dog, you strip the oil from the skin. This isnt good for the dog's skin, so I would suggest washing as little as possible.

Smelly skin can be caused by the diet. We feed our girl BARF and she never smells bad.

Oh, and washing bedding regularly really makes a huge difference, too, otherwise it's like they're marinating in their own smell!! ;)

Smelly skin can be caused by the diet.

Oh, and washing bedding regularly really makes a huge difference, too, otherwise it's like they're marinating in their own smell!! :D

Agree with this. Many shampoos are quite gentle- see which is good for your dog and the smell you like.

Mine needs only a bath once a month, despite being an active indoor & outdoor dog. Mind you, poodles don't seem to smell much due their special type of coat.

Mine are washed no more than once every 2 or 3 months. They are indoor and outdoor dogs but never get a doggy odour. They only get washed when they are dirty or when the bitches finish their seasons.

Tango gets washed when he smells, which has been 3 times in 4 months..the back of his front legs gets wiped with antiseptic wipes because he's at that stage where he's still squatting to piddle sometimes and his aim's not that good. :) As he sleeps on the bed, if he smells, he gets washed.....but in between real washes if he needs to be freshened up I wash him down with a Chux dipped in soapy water, or take him to a show and spray him with Ring NO 5 spray :D and he smells fabulous for nearly a week!

Most of my clients are monthly or fortnightly hydrobaths. I have a couple of weeklys... Not sure if they actually need it this often, but the owners want them done this often, and their skin is fine (i check each time)

Basically, in my experience, every dog is different. Some definately need it more often than others. My greyhounds for example only need a wash about every 3 months... or if they get smelly.

Some dogs i wash reek when i turn up for their fortnightly or monthly bath. Others are fine but owners like them fresh smelling.

If you want your pup to be nice smelling, but dont want to wash as often, use a doggie deodorant after you have dried them off. Many are available at pet supply stores.

My two are actually starting to look dirty lol, but its to cold here and I cant use a blow dryer on them (they go feral). I might have to do it this weekend and up then infront of the fire.

I normally wash them once a month before I give them their flea treatment.

Im summer they get hosed down once a week on the lawn because they swim in the pool.