Not Eating

cav_crazy

Hi all,

Just wondering what I can do as toya isnt eating. :thumbsup:

I have tried feeding weat bix, home cooked mince and rice, tried tinned food, puppy biscuits soaked in milk and i have tried soaking them in water , and am currently feeding her chicken necks and cooked chicken but she still isnt too fussed on that but is not eating much at all. She is a rottweiler puppy 8 weeks old. I have even tried heating up her food but she is the same as she is when its cold. :cry:

She occasionly has a good meal, but I am really worried.. I have booked her into the vet at 530 today and had her there on Saturday and was told to give her chicken and when i first gave it to her she ate it really well but now she doesnt seem to fussed on it.

Please help I dont know what else to try...

She is drinking water thankfully

Please help

if there is no medical reason then its a combination of new environment and some settling nerves.

Dont give her too many options, stick to what she was used to with the breeder or you are going to confuse her. Forget weet bix, tinned food etc as they can give her bloaty tummy. Also the puppy milk I give on its own if they start getting thin (even as adults) When introducing new foods do it slowly. Stick to the breeders menu, then slowly increase your menu and decrease the breeders. It will prevent tummy upsets or food refusal if you do changes gradually.

Start a routine with meals too. Defined meal times, set portions and the same food. If its not eaten in 15 minutes then take it away, you will find she will pick up in no time! If you keep offering her food she will become fussy. Dont worry she wont starve herself but will soon learn to eat or, like back with her littermates, she will miss out!

Edited by Nekhbet

Firstly, you should definitely contact your breeder - have a talk to them and see what they were feeding her. Ideally, she should be on the same food, at least initially, to help prevent an upset stomach.

Next question - how is she generally? Does she have diahrrea? Is she playful and happy, or is she quiet and listless?

If she is at all listless or has diahrrea, then a vet visit is extremely important. In fact, I would probably still err on the side of caution and take her for a checkup anyway.

If she is happy and her bowel motions are normal, then get her onto whatever her breeder was feeding asap. Give her a meal, and give her 15 or 20 minutes to eat it. If she doesn't, take it away and try again next meal.

Provided she is healthy, avoid pandering too much to her tastes - I know you're worried, but if you keep it up you are heading towards creating a fussy eater, and all the changes to her food are potentially going to upset her stomach.

There are some products that are meant to encourage appetitie (Nutrigel does this I think?), so perhaps have a talk to your vet or breeder about this.

she is a very quiet puppy. She sleeps alot but when she wakes up she is very playful. She has had some diarehia but she hasnt done that for about 4 hours now... and is now pooing fine.

Thanks so much for the advice.

I would get a tube of Nutrigel from your vet, this is a appetite stimulant, and I have not yet met a dog that does not like it, tempted to take some myself it smells so yummy lol

This is full of protien and vitamins that a dog would normally get from a balanced diet.

But I see you have and ar going this evening to the vet with her, so ask about the \Nutrigel

At least she is not getting dehydrated, as she is drinking.

Hope that all goes well.

Took her to the vet yesterday and she is fine. They couldnt find any problems with her at all. The vet told gave me some food to see if she will eat and she is eating well today and has seem to come right out of her shell and seems to be a different dog. She is very playful today and her tail wags everytime she sees me and is very outgoing today.

She is just over 8 weeks old and I have had her since Thursday just gone.

Thank you to everyone who has replied it is much appreciated :laugh:

Malinda and the gang

may well have been settling in nerves and glad everything sounds like it is going okay.

I was giving my male golden retreiver a bowl of milk every day and he was a very very poor eater. Stopped giving him the milk and his appetite improved dramatically, although never a guts, some dogs just like food more than other dogs.