Bizarre Rash On My Dog..

Two, nearly three months ago i noticed a tiny little rash on my dog. It disappeared...

Until this weekend, when I came home from Brissie.. mum suggested we go to the vets. The rash is RED raw and inflamed. There is no infection, no mites no nuffin!!! She doesn't bite it or scratch it. Shes loosing hair and it looks so painful but it's not really. She's on antibiotics for a week then we go back to the vets. They're really stumped cos its really bad. The pics don't do it justice.

She's 10yo hungarian vizsla, same diet as always same everything!!

Tashrash003.jpg

Tashrash002.jpg

You can see it when shes just walking normally now like in this pic.

Tashrash001.jpg

Any ideas?

check for any spilled chemicals around the place. Also new plants, anything out of the ordinary in the past month, including places you have been. Maybe she sat somewhere you didnt notice.

Sounds out there but get her hormones looked at and some general bloodwork done. Ssometimes whats going on on the inside manifests on the outside. If she isnt desexed then take a squiz at those bits too, internal inflammation causing redness outside?

Had a quick thought (someone tie me down) there are toxins that cause localised heamolysis and ruptured vessels. Can look worst then it actually is, maybe something bit her?

Its definitely a rash, its scaley and rough and looks really painful but it's not.

No new plants or anything in the past month, nothing unusual.

*could* be wandering dew, her brother had a reaction to it 8 years ago when we had him.. but she's been around it her whole life and not had a problem before?

Bedding is also the same as it's always been. Washed in the same detergent as always.

If everything has been ruled out, she MUST have been bitten by something..... :mad

Nekhbet - get into your crate :rofl:

Why is she being treated with antibiotics if there is no infection? :thumbsup:

Looks like the main thing is to soothe the area first and foremost. Get her some sort of anaesthetic cream/spray. Or something which REALLY DOES work is Swedish Bitters. Just put it in a spray bottle and use liberally. Looks brown and will stain the coat but it should be a lot better within a few days.

If it doesn't work then go back and get the bloodwork done as suggested. :rofl:

*could* be wandering dew, her brother had a reaction to it 8 years ago when we had him.. but she's been around it her whole life and not had a problem before?

I suggest that you get rid of it anyway, wandering jew is a well known allergen in dogs and just because it hasn't affected her in the past doesn't mean than she hasn't developed an allergy to it over time, if her brother reacted to it there is a fair chance that she may react to it as well. Allergies can occur at any time, people can develop allergies to substances that never affected them previously and the same occurs in dogs.

You could also take her to the vet and they can perform various tests to ascertain exactly what's causing the rash. Allergic reactions such as this can become chronic and cause much discomfort to the dog so it's a good idea to get an accurate diagnosis sooner rather than later and act accordingly.

Edited by Miranda

Is it itchy?? Sorry you may have said that and I missed it. My parents dog had an unexplained rash one year - he went on elimination diet, tested for various allergies etc and it wasn't until the pest control man came around and noticed a big nest of hairy caterpillers in one of their trees. The nest looks just like bark and the hairs just fall to the ground and irritate dogs skin.

Although I guess it would be itchy if this is what it is. But maybe something else has moved into your yard that is causing a reaction??

No it is not itchy.

The vet has her on antibiotics just in case theres an underlying infection somwhere which is causing a rash... so far though it hasn't changed at all in fact it seems to be a bit worse.

If it doesn't clear up by the next vet visit, I'm getting more tests done.

Something that was suggested in the dog paper recently for unexplained rashes - 1-2 tablespoons or raw/frozen/tinned spinach blitzed in the blender added to the food once a day and the area washed with Ekoneen

We went back to the vet last night. She's still stumped as to what caused it. The scaly bits are all gone but she still has the rings on the edges of her hips. She's on another course of antbiotics to see if that gets rid of the last bit of rash... then we just wait to see if it returns.