Training Methods And Philosophies

I thought it would be fun to state what our training methods are even if we use phrases that are cliches. It would also be good to find out who and what inspires others to train. I have also added what my favourite breeds are for training, and my highest level of attainment with dogs.

I am a positive(s) trainer. I use any reward that works. I don't operate for long on the ignore the behaviour and it will diminish theory though, becuase is often rewarded elsewhere so I will shut it down. I practice my timing a lot, I use clickers and bridges and drives. I occasionally use verbal corrections. I work hard to keep training interesting for me and the dog.

I have been inspired by many Aussie positive trainers. Of the more well known international ones, Patty Ruzzo, Jean Donaldson, John Fisher and Shiela Booth have really got me going.For tracking, Glynn Johnson is without parralell. A local trainer Denise who has trained three Papillions to TcH also inspired me. My old Lab got one pass in UD even though I didn't start to train him formally till he was four, and I changed training methods in the middle of it.He also was best in ring twice in CDX. He also has TDX. At the end of it all, he would track pretty compact M shape patterns spread over only 30 meters that were up to 3 hours old. He inspired me.

My favourite breeds for training are Poodles and Labs that have drive and are very foward. I also like GSD's, Most Gun Dogs, Rotties and on and on. I can't train lethargic too well though!

As I have to stir, I must add why bother with any other gun dog, when you can have the best a Lab? Just look at the retrieve trial results.(except last years where some strange dog popped it's head up) :mad

Favortie breed to train GSP but i love my sheltie hes sweet and soft and lovely around the house.

Training style positive reward training clicker lure shape target whatever i need to get the behaviour im big on breaking things down into the smallest part then building from there that way i dont have to worry about what if the dog doesnt because it rarely happens lol and if it does its my fautl for not being clear.

TRaining influences would be patty as well love her attitude and fun way to train Luke Hura an aussie trainer that set me on the path to reward training Mary Ray, karen Pryor SHeila Booth Deb Jones ive taken bits from all these people plus many others over the years and developed a method that works for me is fun and easy to understand

To me training is about developing a relationship and seeing how much i can teach my dogs favorite phrases

Patty Ruzzu 'If your in a hole stop digging"

not sure who said this but "you reward what you want but you get what you reward"

and of course 'violence begins where knowledge ends"

I agree with your Training Methods And Philosophies. I have been to one seminar from an international presentor, Suzanne Clothier and learnt clicker training online with Karen Pryor which was priceless. This was great but there are Australians who are just as good.

The VCA ran some seminars with Gina O'Keefe from WA a while back, she is amazing and works magic with the dogs regardless of breed, personality or size, would be great to see a re-visit. Lea Cogley from Victoria also has invaluable information to share. Helen Read who has Clever Canines and is head instructor of Bellarine Dog Activities Group is pretty amazing too and has taught me so much.

BTW lab and poodle - you haven't tried a Brittany yet have you? :wink:

I don't know if I want to be "labelled" as a particular type of trainer :mad , my training methods change depending on the dog! I do use a check chain & will correct with lead or voice if I think it's necessary but I use mostly positive reinforcements. My goal is to show the dog what I want it to do & then show it what will happen if it does it :rofl: . The dog is my primary focus, every dog is different & not all methods work on all dogs, I try to find the one that works best for that dog. As a consequence my dogs have always been excellent workers, my dog was training in UD & tracking, my bitch in open, both very happy willing dogs who always got remarks from judges & other competitors about their enthusiasm. I also was a senior instructor at our local obedience club for 4 years & trained working kelpies many years ago when I lived on a sheep property.

As for best breed, hmmm, I love GSD's even though I have just got a sheltie pup, I love the working dogs, bias, me? :rofl:

I have to say, this forum does confuse me at times, there seems to be the "positive only" brigade in one corner & the ones that use things like prong collars & the K9 methods in the other corners. Dunno where I fit really :thumbsup: .

My inspiration for training are the dogs really. Other peoples dogs, that Im told are really bad, but in fact they are quite good just owners dont know what to do.

As to people that I value as trainers - there is no doubt that I belong to the K9 Force fan club.

A person that made me interested in dog training was my first obiedience instructor in a club, her name is Sandra and she had kelpies that she did agility, herding and obiedience with.

Her dogs were really good and she certainly was an infuence for me. I have lost contact with her shortly after, but met her couple of years ago at obiedience trail.

K9: My goal as a trainer is to train the dog to its genetic capability....

I dont try & use one method on all dogs, because I like it, I use what works with the dog to get the best results..

Main method isteaching the dog to achieve drive satisfaction...

I agree MrsD, the training depends on the dog. I couldnt use the same methods on a Malinois and a DDB and expect peak performance.

I do try and read about all training methods, glean from them what I can. If it works, I use it. As with anything, having an open mind and some logic will prevail over any problem. I do prefer to train as a whole, all contact between me and my dogs I consider training, before I hit formal sessions.

I dont think I could own couch potatos any more. I love my high energy, high drive dogs and though I'm only scratching the surface I'm getting addicted to Schutzhund and protection. Though I think i'll limit my Malinois numbers in the future ... I'm not that big a masochist :mad ...

I agree MrsD, the training depends on the dog. I couldnt use the same methods on a Malinois and a DDB and expect peak performance.

I do try and read about all training methods, glean from them what I can. If it works, I use it. As with anything, having an open mind and some logic will prevail over any problem. I do prefer to train as a whole, all contact between me and my dogs I consider training, before I hit formal sessions.

Interesting, I was thinking the same thing earlier after I posted above, I think that for me, a great relationship between myself & my dog is very important & that doesnt just come from (insert a number) mins training every day. I too study lots of different methods & take from them different bits & pieces & use what works & discard what doesnt. ;)

I dont think I could own couch potatos any more. I love my high energy, high drive dogs

Absolutely agree with you there 100% :) I love dogs with enthusiasm & energy, they make the best obedience partners IMO :) :D . Don't know where you are, but a friend of mine does obedience with 2 mals up here in Qld, her dogs work fabulously :o .

Edited for spelling!

Edited by MrsD

Visiting circuses as a child and watching the lion acts inspired me. As a young girl, when the hoola hoop craze, I set alight my hoop and my cocker spaniel happily jumped through until the hoop melted (and set me on fire).

I enjoyed horses (until I fell off once too often when older) and have always loved dogs. I nagged and nagged and nagged for the first family dog. She taught me a lot.

My dogs try so hard to understand my requirements, the training is up to me.

Luckily my husband supports me in every way.I still nag LOL.

"The VCA ran some seminars with Gina O'Keefe from WA a while back, she is amazing and works magic with the dogs regardless of breed, personality or size, would be great to see a re-visit. Lea Cogley from Victoria also has invaluable information to share. Helen Read who has Clever Canines and is head instructor of Bellarine Dog Activities Group is pretty amazing too and has taught me so much."

I have been influenced by all except Helen Read. I think I learnt more off Lea in a very short period of time than any other trainer.

I am victorian too... I was thinking that we should set up a fun day for the Victorian "Positive" clubs when the weather is more satisfactory. I shall float the idea tomorrow.

I think Brittanies are really nice. I have seen a couple . I helped some friends change from the "dark side" on one, and it turned around pretty quick. It was a lovely dog.

"If it works, I use it."

In so many areas of life, this seems to be the norm, and often it dosen't work. I like to think of the bigger picture. If I give my dog a strong correction, what other behaviours other than the intended one have I clouted as well? We don't have to repeat this experiment, it is available to us. If I continue to use this form of punishment what will happen in the long term?

I like to learn about all methods. Often I tend to pick bits that I like or that I think will work well. I am working with drive methods and clicker training at the moment.

Performance and sports are my interests, all of them, ranging from obedience and agility to herding and Schutzhund and personal protection.

I agree with myszka, the dogs are my inspiration. At work I often see dogs that the owners or other staff think are too much and difficult, and I think they would make great performance dogs with some work and direction. But I guess most people are not looking for performance dogs :)

My breeds of choice are GSDs and Kelpies obviously :) although I like a range of other breeds as well.

My method has always been, read what's before you and train accordingly. There is no one way to train a dog and for those that think there are, I genuinely pitty the dogs and owners as this is a sure way to keep filling up the shelters. I frown on fashion training and those that milk money out of people by selling what people want to hear rather than want they must know and do.

The owner and dog team need careful scrutiny before training as our job generally involves teaching the handler the skills to correctly manage their dog for the next 10 to 15 years.

There are thousands of people ready to give advise on how something should be done and probably 5% are capable of doing it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a crack at anyone in particular but when you've mentored under one of the greatest dog minded people in Australia it opens your eyes wide to who's a doer and who's a talker.

Eeeck. I used to have private lessions with Lea Cogley, years ago, when I was keen on obedience trials.

I travel overseas and been known to import a professional trainer from time to time. Another coming at the end of the year. Been told I am fool to spread the secrets but as long as the attendees learn a better way to train, I am happy.

Watching dogs overseas, who compete similar concepts (retrieving trials) to us, in Australia is real eye opener. The professional trainers who train from day break to sun down deserve every cent they earn. They are very honest with the dogs quality too. I was very impressed.

Teach teach teach teach.

I think it depends on where your coming from for me i have had great success with my trianing and have also worked with other trainers swapping ideas and trying new things im happy with the way i trian i feel very comfortable with what im doing i get great results and we have a lot of fun

I do agree with talkers and doers though so many trainers talk the talk but have you seen them train a dog what have they acheved and im not talking a hundred years ago when they were using ther methods of training to the ones they are trying to sell I have often been disapponted when ive spoken to a trainer and thought wow sounds good but then when ive seen them in action they dont do as they say