Getting Annoying...

Scope, i still think it has a lot to do with pack issues. If she snaps at the rotty and he ignores this she is obviously higher generally in the pack order and being the female makes me think this more so. the rotty is now having more free time from his run which will be adding to her pack issues, im not saying put him away all the time again but you may need to spend more one on one time with her to balance things. She sounds like she has this desire to please you and compete for your attention, even if she is going about it the wrong way. When you do put the rotty away and she still carrys on what do you do with her, are you trying to redirect her attention onto you with some focus commands etc or a toy. What happens when you work her on her own with the rotty away?

If your doing prey drive training with the rotty and he has developed a desire for the item try putting his training on hold for a while and focus on her. steve will tell you that if the dog has drive for the toy it wont be lost if they dont get to have it for a while, and you can come back to his training after getting her a bit more focused and settled.

Best of luck and again contact steve for his input.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

things are all a matter of perception and when things are aimed at you they're often seen in an entirely different light to what a bystander would

Yes, exactly :)

Anyways, I hope you don't leave the forum, obviously you're pretty stressed about this and with everything else going on sounds like you're having a shit of a time, I know all about those :thumbsup: Keep your chin up with all the other crap going on, seek out a good dog trainer and see if you can get these problems worked on. Good luck :cry:

With my Zoe, I think it is more a resource guarding type thing - she doesn't want the others to get access to a resource (in this case, me). She will sometimes stand in between the other dog and me (or the toy, or other dog, or her bed, etc). Is that possibly the case with yours too?

I'm sure Steve would have some great advice.

Scope - we can all have bad days, as you know, and what has happened has happened, we MOVE ON :thumbsup: no point in people carrying on.

You know it was a msitake.

Back to the post now - as you know I have the same breed combination and when I am outside, the GSD will try and stand over and agress Grotty Rotty.

I just have to use a verbal command to stop the behaviour and then give the Shepherd a small task to do to keep him busy and feeling like he is doing his small little thing.

Maybe seperation could work for them.

You work so hard with your dogs, I can see that with Hudson at training. Don't give up yet.... apart from that I really have no advice other then what works for me.

Good luck.

i think scope realises that hitting her dog wasnt the right thing and an impulsive reaction to a bad situation... i think scope now needs advice on how to fix the relationship with the dogs (as there is nothing she can do about it now that will take the "punch" back) and come to some sort of compromise with the dogs and her situation......

And kneeing your dog isnt worse? I could exert much more force by kneeing my dog than giving them a slap. I shouldnt have said punch. Im 49kgs, my punch is a slap. Why are kids so ferral these days? because some uni graduate decided that it was abuse to smack your child....what do you want me to do when my dogs run into me, knock me over, say, 'please dont do that, go to the naughty corner?

And scope has been advised to either get in touch with Steve from K9 Force or to seek out another good trainer.

Shekhina (& jaybeece too), just out of curiosity, how old are you both?

Edited for spelling!!

Edited by MrsD

And kneeing your dog isnt worse? I could exert much more force by kneeing my dog than giving them a slap. I shouldnt have said punch. Im 49kgs, my punch is a slap. Why are kids so ferral these days? because some uni graduate decided that it was abuse to smack your child....what do you want me to do when my dogs run into me, knock me over, say, 'please dont do that, go to the naughty corner?

I belief the SuperNanny would say 'it is not asseptable' :thumbsup::cry::) :p :rofl::rofl::rofl::mad:rofl:

Hiya Scope, I hope you're feeling a little bit better, and that you do return. Hugs :thumbsup:

I just wanted to ask one thing. In all this trouble and stress you are going through with your furkids, and more over the GSD, from what you were saying, have you at all in your heart, thought about rehoming her? I'm not talking about rehoming her to, a placid family, with kids, andheaps of other pets, but I mean to someone experienced, in these issues, and with no other dogs, and a suitable home, with someone that can give her one on one?

Now the only reason I'm asking is because, you are beating yourself up something CHRONIC!!! You should firstly be proud of working so hard with both of these dogs, and it's plainly obvious that you love them to death :cry: Ok so you punched your dog. Not ideal, but yes it happens, and more people do it, than admit it trust me. Amid all this chaos I'm worried about you too. The last thing you need is added stress, and heartache. You've said already that you are doing things tough.

Maybe you haven't considered the rehoming alternative, but I just wondered if you had entertained the idea before? If in your heart you have, then maybe its an option to look at, even if it's down the track. You're a good doggy mum, and you're doing it tough. Your babies are lucky to have you. I wish you all the very best, and know that whatever happens you have given it your best.

Best wishes and good luck

Ziara :)

All I'm doing is using my kneed to push him out of the way when I'm walking, not slamming my knee into his head. It's very different to using physical force as a correction. What would you see as preferable? "Don't worry little buddy, stay where you are, I'll just walk around you". Yeah, GREAT alpha behaviour. I also don't think a comparison can be drawn between disciplining a child and disciplining a dog as they're two incredibly different creatures.

I wholeheartedly agree with smacking a child that deserves it, but it should only be reserved for occasions when there are no other effective disciplinary alternatives. Sometimes if a child is being irrational or getting too big for their boots a smack is needed.

Dogs...well, dogs are certainly not children and should not be treated as such. They are pack animals and are incredibly sensetive to the mood and whim of their master. If you are an effective and strong pack leader with a well trained dog all it should take is a verbal command to correct undesirable behaviour. If you're having to resort to a "Punch, but more of a slap" then you either aren't using your voice correctly or are not their alpha.

And if your dogs run up and knock you over, teach them to come and sit nicely. It's really quite simple. If that's not possible you might want to look at more training or who's actually running your household- you or your dogs?

And scope has been advised to either get in touch with Steve from K9 Force or to seek out another good trainer.

Edited for spelling!!

I've just turned 22.

Are you asking because I'm an immature brat who did the wrong thing? :thumbsup:

All I'm doing is using my kneed to push him out of the way when I'm walking, not slamming my knee into his head. It's very different to using physical force as a correction. What would you see as preferable? "Don't worry little buddy, stay where you are, I'll just walk around you".

:thumbsup::cry::)

Edited for spelling!!

I've just turned 22.

Are you asking because I'm an immature brat who did the wrong thing? :cry:

:thumbsup: no :rofl: but it wasnt hard to guess :) .

As you get older most people realise that the world isnt merely black or white, but made up of many shades of grey, unlike the young who often show the temerity of youth & wear their heart on their sleeve :p .

Edited for spelling!!

I've just turned 22.

Are you asking because I'm an immature brat who did the wrong thing? :cry:

:thumbsup: no :rofl: but it wasnt hard to guess :) .

As you get older most people realise that the world isnt merely black or white, but made up of many shades of grey, unlike the young who often show the temerity of youth & wear their heart on their sleeve :p .

Actually you'd be surprised how I see the world after what I've dealt with in my short but eventful life. I just didn't feel like being "fluffy and nice" when I felt strongly about a dog being punched simply because the owner could not keep control of their emotions. THAT to me, is immature.

:thumbsup: no :p but it wasnt hard to guess :cry: .

As you get older most people realise that the world isnt merely black or white, but made up of many shades of grey, unlike the young who often show the temerity of youth & wear their heart on their sleeve :) .

That's a rather enormous generalisation don't you think?

Fact is, regardless of age when you're dealing with dogs everything should be black and white! If you give them shades of grey to deal with they react with confusion, uncertainty and sometimes even fear.

Also, at the tender age of 25 I see plenty of grey areas in life :rofl: Plus after seeing the way people carry on sometimes in these forums it's pretty clear it's not just the young who wear their hearts on their sleeves- with good reason too! We're all here because we're passionate about dogs and it can be a very emotional subject at times.