Outside Puppy

SparkyTansy

And how much warmer will the puppy be in a bathroom or laundry than outside? Bathrooms and laundries are the coldest rooms in the house and the puppy will still be alone. And what about boredom? A puppy kept outside will get a lot more stimulation and will be much happier than a puppy locked in one small room for eight hours a day. I think people tend to forget that dogs are animals. I agree that leaving a single puppy outside while one's at work isn't the ideal situation, but it's infinitely preferable to leaving it confined in a crate or a room.

Miranda - I agree. I had my pup outside from 10wks of age (when I got him). I couldn't take time off as I was a uni student but I worked out a program with my mum who would be home most of the morning and then go out to work in the arvo, leaving the pup alone for no more than 3-4 hrs. It will be pretty much the same with my next pup only i'm working now. My question is that what about for those that live alone and not near work? Here is the clincher as well about my dog - he isn't allowed inside (unless on a mat - and not every day) - so the 'poor' puppy you may say was left out from day 1. does it mean that he has any ill effects from that? Of course not. he is a really well adjusted pup with no seperation anxiety or anything like that. Really adaptable. does it mean that with him being outdoors that he lacks attention and company - nope. He is the most spoilt dog around :p. If people are willing to put in the extra time for a pup outside their work hours, then I don't see the issue. If the pup isn't going to be a 'backyard ornament' (no mine isn't) but part of the family, then where is the issue? I honestly believe that allowing your dog to spend that time away from you while at work and implementing it from the start will help immensely with independence training. The dog is learning that it is ok to spend time alone from the start. Of course, I believe that this shouldn't be sprung on the dog ie: buy the dog sunday afternoon and go to work on monday- rather spend a week or so with people coming in and out of the house at various times of the day and gradually reducing the frequency of 'visitors'. As for neighbours or anyone like that doing the visits, I don't see what the difference is - at least the dog is getting its meals and some attention. But we need to face the fact that some people work throughout the day but would still make great home for puppies. As for puppies being able to cope outside - if there is enough shelter and 'warm' areas I don't see why not. But I think the smaller breeds would require more caution.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You won't get any apologies from me, I wholeheartedly agree with my rescue group's policy - also please note that I didn't say it was EVERY puppy but even other respondents on this thread think that the home on offer is less than ideal.

For pet shops and some breeders (note the word SOME please) it is all about making the sale, no worries about how suitable the home on offer is.

I wonder if those 70 year old people I met last year at my vet with a husky pup still have it? They could barely walk and had no idea of the needs of the breed.

We get calls, all day every day, from people wanting to be rid of their dog. I do know that this is not everybody, this forum is full of people who love their dogs.

When will some people stop tinking every dog/pup that is not raised as they think it should be has been neglected and will end up in the pound by the age of 2. Many may but it is not because the owner chooses to manage their dogs differently than others, but because the owner chose not to manage the dog at all..

:p That was my point but you worded it much better than I did!

:p You said that PERFECTLY! If the person is going to be a good owner for the pup surely the breeder will see that from the word go. If they are not going to treat the pup well and give it the stimulation it needs again, the breeder will know. Most of these owners get their dogs not from breeders but from the trading post/ pet shops/ shelters where people have not advised them about their type of dog properly.

Thats why when we got Eddie the breeder said that she never normally sells to people who work full time, and had never done it before, but she had decided that she was happy with what we would give him and the care we would give him so she let us have him anyway

I spoke to her nearly every day for 7 weeks (via email and msn - I'm not a stalker!!! :p ) and we visited him 1-2 times a week til he was old enough to come home

She was over the moon with us showing that type of commitment before we had gotten him and knew she had made the right decision, and we still see her now so she has never regretted it

I know that not all people will be like us, it's just its such an individual thing

I am blubbering on now, sorry, but just wanted to say my side of it

Belinda

ETA

Oh and I think rescue is extremely important too, I don't have any problem with older dogs being rescued, all my cats are from shelters as adults and Molly though she was 8 months when we got her, was a rescue too - she was given up as her owners had realsied they had made her a backyard ornament and she was alone 10-12 hours a day 7 days a week - the husband was in care as he was sick and the wife was out with him, only home to sleep, she should not have been there, so I do see both sides of it

Edited by shoemonster

In fact this thread turned me into a looney!

I recommend to everyone I know to get a rescue, I think I just got upset that people may think I am a bad owner (and I know no one said that but just didn't want anyone to think it :p )

bel no one would think u of all people is a bad owner.. you treat those 2 like royalty and they have the best of homes.. eddie is a great well adjusted dog.. hes got the good life thats for sure.. i guess its an individual personal thing..

Why on earth are they taking a puppy on at all? If you are not home to be there for a young puppy or to train it, then why have it?

Put youself in the puppy's shoes - one minute it has the security of a mother and siblings and the next its put out in a big new unknown area and left completely alone. We don't do that to human babies.

Edited by Scales of Justice

Well said Shoemonster. I just think certain situations can arise with young dogs and people are not in any position to fix the problem. I speak from experience. I recently fostered 2 young dogs under 2 years of age (to save them from the needle) and then about 2 months later, another dog of around 2. I work full time. My dogs (and fosters) have a morning walk inc off leash exercise, the run of the house and garden, toys etc but all three of these young dogs were not happy when I was out for 11 hours a day and barked. And yes, my neighbours complained.

If I had been the owner of these dogs, what could I have done? I cannot afford to pay dog walkers (and won't after some awful experiences), my dog loving friends are not nearby. I rehomed them to the right situations with a lot more company available but if they had been mine, I would have found myself in a difficult situation.

Interesting topic

I don think working or not working has anyhting to do with how well adjusted a dog is

From my experience its up t how much work the owner will put it Shoey works fulltime but her dogs are realy well adjusted well trained she takes time to go to dog school and do all the right things

Our neighbour is home all day had good intentions but the day i see them walk the dog i'll probabaly faint let alone take it to trianing it barks all day and is very bored.

Whether people are home or working you have to be willing to put in effort thats all

I work each day as does my husband as i have previously said.

When we get home the dogs/cats/beasts are with us until we go to bed and then they go to their respective beds.

I get up 40 minutes earlier than i have to so i can spend some time with my babies before i go to work. I get home and spend 5-6 hours with them of quality time, including training, playing and cuddling.

I think that as long as the dog/pup is well looked after when the skin parents are home then it is good as long as the the fur kids are happy and content during the day, with no barking, digging or destructive behaviour.

My fur kids have heaps of toys and stimulation when i am not there, there is no destructive behaviour and no barking, so i know that they are happy and content and not bored.

Yes they would prefer i was there full time as would i, but someone needs to pay the bills.

I also think that whilst this thread was begun to gain information about if a puppy could go outside as young as 8 weeks it has turned in to a bit of 'you are in the wrong' if you are not at home with your pup/dog most of the day.

Some people can't be and some can, we have animals as a form of companionship and as members of families but some people have animals just becasue they do.

They, in my experience, tend to be the ones who have destructive and unhappy dogs, as their dogs needs are not being met even when they are home as the people are not emiotionally attached to the animals.

as what is always said - Quality over quantity. If your dog has 'special' time with you regardless of the amount of work you dog, then I think you have a happy dog. shoemonster - I agree - sometimes I feel incredibly judged because my dog is 'outdoors' 90% of the time and I work. I judge it by his attitude and anyone who knows me knows that I would go to the ends of the earth with my animals and I think the feeling is mutual :). Caninecoach - you have a really good way of saying the things that I was thinking! lol - stole the thoughts from my brain also :p.

dogmad - I really think that the work you are doing with foster dogs admirable, but you must also admit that these dogs can come from unknown pasts which could make them more anxious or whatever. Or you may just have the more 'active' ones and hence why they are being rehomed. Perhaps that is why these dogs played up. i'd love to get into foster work one day, when I have more time :p.

I too have 2 dogs that live on adjoining properties to me, they bark all the time and I rarely see them taken for walks. as for training - forget it :(. Somehow when I look at others, I don't feel as though i'm a bad owner or anything like that when I look at the amount of attention my dog gets as well as his pysical/mental development.

JMHO.

I take MItchi to training on saturdays. We have on ein the morning and one in the afternoon. In a couple of weeks when he has settled down, Barker the foster failure pup - we decided to keep him, will be going in the morning also as my husband can come then too.

I think dogs who are outside and have quality time are happy, as has been mentioned in teh ;last couple of posts.

I hang out until saturday comes cause i can spend ALL day with my furkids. I get as much from it as them. I am always clamer and happier after being with them too.

Yeah I spend 90% of my home time with the dogs

I take them to training wednesday and sundays, I do freestyle with Molly which was on Mondays and the OH walks Eddie

I walk them in the mornings, play with them and do little bits training and trick training at night

I take them swimming just about every saturday, and to friends places for plays with other dogs

If we go to my mum's for dinner they come

If we go to the shops, or for a drive etc, they come with us!

We are going away this weekend, we are going to best friends retreat, so the dogs can come with us! I couldn't bear the thought of going without them

If we go out at night on the weekend, I take them for a run around or a long walk earlier, etc

I think though I work full time my dogs probably wish their annoying mum would just leave them alone :p

I think I am completely addicted to them

And then there is work, during which I keep checking in here to learn more about them and for them! :p

I was even looking into webcameras, so I could keep an eye on what they are doing during the day! I think it would be boring as I'm sure they have learnt to sleep so they have the energy for when we are home :(

My neighbour's new lonely puppy got out 4 times last week and even managed to survive a walk on a busy road. I suggest an older more settled dog if possible as your first dog, then add a pup later so the newbie could have a reliable friend to show him the ropes and keep him company.

Could end up with Double Trouble though - choose very carefully.

How wonderful to have a neighbour that is so helpful to offer to look after your dog while you're at work. :p

My sister is not an irrisponsible owner, she has done a huge deal of research and this is not the first time she has had a dog, or even a dog of this breed. I know for a fact that she will spend all her time with the puppy when she is home...

Kristie what you said is true, I did not start this thread to be told what we are doing wrong, rather to find out whether having a young puppy outside is good for health reasons.

Just because we are at work all day trying to earn a living, it doesn't make us bad owners, and just because there are some people who can spend their time at home and they have a dog, it doesn't mean they are good owners, or that they spend the time they have with the dog.

Hello Everyone....

Seeing as I am SparkyTansy's sister and this entire topic is about everyone elses opinion of what I should and should not be doing, or even owning a dog at all, let me state my case.

I have (like my sister has said) owned a dog of this kind before, and love them. Yes I will be at work everyday, as many people with pets do. I am sure that there are some pet owners out there that do worse. i.e. starvation, cruelty, beating, etc. I am NOT one of these people.

I have waited for over a year to get another OES. My last one Monty died while I was on holiday overseas. A very devistating thing to happen, and to come home to.

My new puppy due to arrive in two weeks already has everything a puppy will need.

1. A loving home

2. An indoor bed

3. An outdoor bed

4. Toys GALORE & radio for company

5. A puppy proofed garden with no poisonous plants

6. Shelter outdoors

I do not agree with people (and yes this does happen) who have dogs and leave them outdoors 100% of the time, even if they are home. My dog will not be sleeping outside at night. If it is a horrible rainy day, my dog will be kept indoors while I am at work. I have very nice neighbours who will be able to tell me if my dog barks while I am at work, and something will be done.

It is unfortunate that some peple seem to think that people who go to work to pay for their lives (mortgages, food etc.) shouldn't be able to have the responsibility of owning a pet.

I have not even met my puppy, I have no idea what he will be like, a chewer, a barker, a whinger or anything. I just want to give it the best most loving home he deserves and in return I just want the unconditional love a pet gives.

I can guarantee everyone now, my dog will not end up in an animal shelter.