Problem Puppy! Lab, Almost 12 Months Old.

jemjem*

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on my brother dog. She's a Lab, absolutely gorgeous dog, almost 12 months old except it seems shes going through a "puppy" stage. I asked the breeders who I bought my puppy off (not lab breeders) and even though they don't breed Lab's from what I told them they said it seems as though she really craves and wants human interaction. My brother just doesn't know what to do with her anymore but there's no way he will give her away. I used to get up him all the time because I said he never diciplines her, he does but I don't think he really diciplined her enough when she was young. I'm not sure she knows who is boss. She chewed through his gas line on his bbq so he went and bought a metal one and she has tried to chew through that aswell. She stole 6 steaks off their outside table. She finds things and we have no idea how, one day they came home and there was a hammer in the back yard. They have a large backyard although there are no gardens or trees in there (it's a rental and they can't do anything about that) She is secure in the backyard and can't get out although she has a backyard full of toys. When she see's anybody she goes absolutely crazy and jumps up and wants to play. My brothers girlfriend works full time (soon to be a mum so will be at home full time) and he worked casual when she was full time but has recently got a full time job (which i think will only make his 12 month old lab, missy, worse until his gf is at home all the time). He has taken her to pet stores and to vets to see what they have to say about her (but as I see all the time breeders dont like pet stores very much so maybe pet stores don't know enough about labs to really put their two cents in). I am asking for ANY help from ANYONE but in particular PLEASE ANY LABRADOR BREEDERS!!! Missy gets walked almost daily, if not daily atleast every second day. She gets played with daily but she is still naughty. She rips the strings off mops, she pulls GREEN ATTACHED LEAVES of palm trees (not the dead ones that are falling off!!!) She severly pisses off my 8 year old German Shepherd as he plays with her for an hour then gets sick of her and goes and lays down and shes still nipping at his mouth and biting his tail etc. We don't understand what her problem is? Can someone please help us as we do not know what to do about her. We do not want to and won't give her away. She sits, speaks on command, rolls over and shakes so she is obedient but she seems to be really independent. What can we do???? Thanks to anyone who replies. My sincere sincere thanks...

(PS...SHE IS DESEXED IF THAT MAKES ANY DIFFERENCE???)

(PPS...LOOK HOW SHE SLEEPS ON THE BACKYARD TABLE, ITS QUITE FUNNY ACTUALLY BUT SHE GETS TOLD NOT TO DO IT AND STILL DOES IT)

post-11539-1153134788_thumb.jpgpost-11539-1153134819_thumb.jpg[a

tachment=44901:attachment]post-11539-1153134885_thumb.jpg

post-11539-1153134868_thumb.jpg

Ummmmmm, gundog babies specially labs are really naughty.and can be destructive....off to school for your brothers puppy i think. You must with a capital M keep on top of a female labby youngster, this one sounds reallly smart, so its time for dog school....what she is doing is not unusual for a lab, they are a handfull. He may want to consider a pen with some toys for her during the day even for a time out situation, or fencing off areas with electric fencing where he doesnt want her to go.

PS He has another three years at least of this!! :rofl:

Edited by rugerfly

Sounds like my place :rofl: :rofl:

It also sounds like some formal obedience training is in order. Perhaps a regular trip to the offlead dog park to learn some pecking order also? I have to laugh these days when a puppy wears T bone out and then pesters him to keep playing!! I just laugh and say "it wasn't that long ago matie and you were TEN TIMES WORSE" ( just ask Kitkat :rofl:)

ETA LOL at her sleeping on the glass table!!! It must be nice and cool for her! That's not naughty it's just common sense if you are a black dog and you live in EffenQ.

Edited AGAIN to add.... she looks like she's from working lab lines - they tend to be more "nuts". Looooong legs :mad She will calm down with time.

Edited by blacklabrador

A naughty lab pup, now thats different........................... :rofl::mad

As BL said, training is definatley needed here!! Basic commands such as sit, drop, come and stay does wonders for the pecking order. Getting her to sit and wait when someone arrives to the house is another good training tool.

Also tell your brother that 12 months old is only the start!! :rofl: Labs are puppies at heart at 3, 4,5 years old so training will make it a bit easier ( but still frustrating sometimes :mad )

GOOD LUCK!!!! :rofl:

Thanks a lot everyone, I figured this would be the problem and I have told him time and time again he needs to show her who is boss. I will pass on all information from him. Thanks a lot for all your help.

Ciao,

Jemma

The backyard sounds pretty boring too. How about a big meaty bone on Mondays? A big Kong smeared well with peanut paste, or jammed full of dog dries on Tuesdays? A treat ball with a few dries in it on Wednesday? And another big bone on Thursdays? And so on.

A kids' wading pool (about $25) with water in it - or sand, for digging. Some rope toys, or ropes to pull around. Take all the toys away, and only put a few out. Change them daily, so the dog has something new to play with. Get a big ball she can't pick up in her mouth, and let her push it around the yard.

Take her for a walk before work.

Growing lab puppies can be a pretty big shock to a Lab novice :) They can be notoriously naughty and destructive at the best of times :rofl: and are definitely not the type of dogs that can be left on their own in the backyard for hours on end getting up to all sorts of mischief :mad They are highly intelligent and high energy dogs and need constant stimulation and exercise. They are also extremely social dogs who bond very closely with their humans and just love to be included as part of the family and being with their humans. Obedience training is DEFINITELY required for a lab puppy and their owner's sanity :rofl:

I have had many trials and tribulations with my black lab babies over many years ranging from mildly naughty and destructive to outrageously naughty and destructive :rofl: My 7 year old black boy, fell into the "outrageously naughty and destructive" category when he was a growing pup and was a total scallywag, despite training and lots of attention. :mad

Labs are also slow maturer's, and can think and act like like pups anywhere up to 5 years old and some :D. This is what makes them so special :( I am postive my 7 yearold still thinks he is a pup :rofl:

Your brother's baby is gorgeous and I love the photo of her on the table :cry: . There is something about Labs and tables :rofl: He will definitely need to put in the extra work required for raising a lab puppy, but it will be beneficial all round. He will have a lot of fun with her over the years and she will bring him lots and lots of joy and yes she will settle down over time :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: to what everyone else has said,also don't fall for the "get a second dog"advice,i have 2 lab's and they have even chewed the weatherboard's off the house :mad:(:rofl: beside's the hammer's,nail's,plastic container's that i never new i had :mad lump's of wood,telephone cable's................................the list goes on and on.lot's of training and the triangle of temptation in the training section is absolutely brilliant,the dog know's it's place without harsh discipline,give it a go :)

Guest Stevie'sGreat
:thumbsup: to what everyone else has said,also don't fall for the "get a second dog"advice,i have 2 lab's

What if the second dog isn't a lab? What sort of dog would be most compatible with a 9 month female lab, if we wanted to try that route with Stevie? It gets very lonely at the leash-free park sometimes.

Definitely not for me to answer stevie,mine are both Lab's and i have had them both since puppydom,they are great together and not soooo.....destructive :thumbsup: ,i only suggested to OP as they have a new baby on the way and job's as far as what other breed to get,i alway's think anything goes with a Lab :)

Guest Stevie'sGreat

Thanks CM. I think two couldn't be any harder than the one we have, even though we've been really lucky so far on the 'destruction' side. Stevie loves her sleep almost as much as food!

good luck to the OP with helping their lab. I'm not a lab owner but boy, I love hearing of their antics :rotfl:!!!!

Agreed with the person who said go and get the book "marley and me"!!!! Then you'll really see what a naughty lab can do!

to add to the posts already - rather than simply have the toys thrown around the yard - rotate them - about 3 a day (ie: have 3 out and rotate 1-3 each day. also - take up the sandpit idea - boy to the labs love it - especially if you get 2 clam shells and fill one with water and the other with sand! In the sand one - bury the toys in there - that will get the lab to dig out their toys and then run around like a nutter when they have found it! Remove anything that could possibly be puppy fun and of course as others have mentioned - off leash running and obedience. For the walks - I find for young dogs - two shorter walks work better - one in the morning b4 work (make that the tiring one - off leash run maybe? as they are more likely to sleep while you are at work) and again when you come home. At least that gets rid of some pent up energy!

Sounds like a typical retriever. :thumbsup: Toys in my place are chewed apart in a couple of hours. Obedience training is important, I met a 6yr old lab the other day who could give Sam a run for his money running around like a loon.

It's also goldies who like tables....

DSCN0882.jpg

Welcome to the joys of owning a Lab! My Molly is now 16 months old and I went through exactly the same thing. The good news is she has really calmed down. Still a cheeky bugger that loves to steal socks, but is much more obedient and calm. You probably won't beleive this, but she now lies quietly at my feet at night while i watch TV, do the ironing etc whereas six months ago she ran around like a maniac.

The only advice I can give is be consistent and remember to train every day. Even if it is only 15 minutes of sitting, staying etc - just to get them focused. She still goes nuts when visitors arrive, but I just lock her in the kitchen for five minutes until she has calmed down. She now knows that unless she is calm she can't say hello and it actually works! Tackle one problem at a time and keep working at it.

I have got to say though I would never have another breed - they are so funny, cheeky, loveable and good-natured.

Sounds like a typical retriever. :mad Toys in my place are chewed apart in a couple of hours. Obedience training is important, I met a 6yr old lab the other day who could give Sam a run for his money running around like a loon.

It's also goldies who like tables....

DSCN0882.jpg

OMG :) - that is the cutest photo ever!!!!! What lines is this gorgeous dog from????????? I think i'm in love :thumbsup:

Sounds like a completely normal Labrador youngster to me.

The only thing that seems to be missing is training & leadership.....doggie school for pup I'd say.

Side note: I personaly don't feel labs get a brain until they're about 2, that's going by the labs we had when I was growing up.

Edited by sas