Is My Rottweiler For Real?

VDK

Hi all.

I have a 6 month old puppy from the Lost Dogs Home. She was designated a rottweiler cross (because they can't label her a purebred without papers) but several vets and rottie owners have said she's definitely a purebred rottweiler.

She has a long face and quite a lanky build, unlike the stocky, square-jawed adult rotties I've met. Also, she's only 23kg and about the size of an adult kelpie (but more muscular). A rottie-owning vet said her appearance was typical of an English rottweiler, but everything I've found on the net says that pom rots are even stockier and more bulldog-ish than other bloodlines.

So, my question is: can anyone recommend an online weight-by-age chart for rottweiler puppies, and/or sites which explain the differences in bloodlines?

Any help would be appreciated.

Guest Pandii

Hey Welcome

I had a chart once cant find it now

best hang around and some of our Rotti people will catch up with you

Can you post photos for us please

Hi all.

I have a 6 month old puppy from the Lost Dogs Home. She was designated a rottweiler cross (because they can't label her a purebred without papers) but several vets and rottie owners have said she's definitely a purebred rottweiler.

She has a long face and quite a lanky build, unlike the stocky, square-jawed adult rotties I've met. Also, she's only 23kg and about the size of an adult kelpie (but more muscular). A rottie-owning vet said her appearance was typical of an English rottweiler, but everything I've found on the net says that pom rots are even stockier and more bulldog-ish than other bloodlines.

So, my question is: can anyone recommend an online weight-by-age chart for rottweiler puppies, and/or sites which explain the differences in bloodlines?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi VDK maybe you can post some photos for us to take a look at. If she has a long face and about the size of a kelpie I'm guessing she is a cross, but will be able to tell more once you put a few photos up.

There are a whole range of dogs in any country - good bad and anywhere in between, although I will agree there is a certain look to a lot of English rottweilers. Female rotties should weigh between 38-42 kg as an adult.

Hi VDK :rofl:

Definitely photos, please :rolleyes:

Ok - long face, lanky build. I would suggest this is either to her being a cross breed, or just conformation that doesn't meet the breed standard, likely combined with her age and being desexed (assuming she is desexed).

Here's a growth chart for you - take it with a grain of salt though, there are so many variations in the way puppies grow that you can't look at a chart and say, "Yep, she's a Rottweiler".

http://www.vkwrottweilers.com/rottweiler-growth-chart.htm

I would suggest that the Rotty owning vet does not have a particularly extensive knowledge of the breed.

Based on photos I've seen through the years, in my opinion, there used to be some obvious style variation. I noticed that English bloodlines often seemed somewhat wet and mastiffy in the face, American bloodlines often seemed somewhat longer and lankier, German bloodlines often seemed somewhat stockier and squarer. These days, this style variation is not as common - certainly I no longer see it in photos of well bred international dogs.

Poor breeding (that is not breeding to the recognised breed standard), often results in Rottweilers with the long, lanky appearance, and this is more likely to be the case with your girl as opposed to her being an "English Rottweiler" or a "German Rottweiler" or a "Timbuktoo Rottweiler" :thumbsup:

Did I say photos? :cry:

Guest Pandii

Just to give you an idea

this is Tyson whose mum was pure breed and Father unknown,

12 weekspost-4865-1153454183_thumb.jpg

Bere with me I will post next pic

Would like to see some Pics :rofl:

Depends on the ' lines ' behind your dog.. and more so if BYB.

I am also a bit of a believer in , when rotts

are desexed they loose a fair amount of that ' boofiness ' in the face..

Guest Pandii

post-4865-1153454534_thumb.jpgpost-4865-1153454573_thumb.jpg

This is Tyson 12 months

Soryy no recent photos

But he's 18 months now weighs 44 kilos is 70 cm at the shoulder

Not trying to say anything just giving youan idea becuse I had a breeder tell me he was pure when we got him

Now he just lloks like a large kelpie

Thanks for the feedback (and the weight chart).

I don't have any recent photos ready, but here are some at about 3 months old, except the one on the pawprint bed, which was about 3 weeks ago.

post-11587-1153460113_thumb.jpgpost-11587-1153460169_thumb.jpg

Edited by VDK

My Rottie is also a rescue, he is now going on 5yrs. old. He is most definately a purebred, however he is a very poor representation of the breed. He is tall and lanky and has what some call a "skillet" shaped head as opposed to the blocky type. From the pics, your pup could very well be a purebred, but like my boy, is just poorly bred.

Also, being that she is only 6 months of age she still has some growing to do.

VDK,

I would say your puppy is crossed with a Dobermann........ the side shot and the tight coat, suggest that.............

Pandii.

Tyson looks to be Purebred IMO...............

Edited by RottnCrest

VDK - looking at those photos, she may be purebred, and just not a good representation of the breed standard, or she may be crossed with something lanky and the Rotty is showing through primarily. It's really a bit hard to make any definitive comment through photos and looking at a young puppy.