Cane Toads

Ella Rainbow

My 16 week old puppy Ella keeps bringing dead cane toads inside. :D I don't know if she is killing them or where she is finding them. Some are dried up and others are a bit fresher. I know that they are poisonous.

Has anyone else in Brisbane or Qld had this problem?

Ella is a heinz variety dog with predominantly Lab x Border Collie. I would post a photo but am having problems in reducing the size of the photo.

Regards

Annette

Hi Annette,

Cane toad poison can kill a small/young dog. If the poison gets in their eyes, it can blind them.

My dog used to love chasing them as a pup, and she got sprayed on her back leg. She licked off the poison (I guess it was burning her skin) and she nearly died - she was extremely sick for a couple of weeks.

It's strange that she has dried toads.... have you checked your backyard for dead toads? Could someone be killing them and throwing them over the fence?

You need to deter her from them. You might be better off posting this in the Training section to get some advice on how to stop her.

Cheers

jbbb

The dead driedup toads don't seem to be a problem.

I have had my dogs chew on these without any ill effect.

The live ones that are bigger than 'mouse' size are a problem and can kill a dog.

Do like we do and go on 'toad patrol' after dark with a spotlight and a big spike or a spray bottle of Phenyl.

I hate toads!!!!!!!!! :D

Ella's bed is in the laundry. She sleeps inside but has access to the yard so that she can go to toilet outside. Which she has been doing brilliantly. She is keeping the laundry clean and going to toilet in the same place outside. If we keep finding toads, then I'll have to lock her inside.

We have 6 neighbours adjoining our property so it is difficult to work out how they are getting into our yard. We have checked the yard for any more toads and haven't found any more today but will check the yard regularly.

We have a lot of plants in our yard so I'm going to do a big tidy up in case the toads are hiding in the undergrowth.

I'll ask for ideas in the training section as well.

Regards

Annette :D

Phenol kills the toads.

As does, bleach, dettol, pine oil disinfectant.

We kill them here too, but never ever totally get rid of them.

You will rarely find them during the day when you look for them, they burrow into mulch, soft soil into potting mix in pots etc.

Dead dry toads turn up all the time here too, like anything they do die for whatever reason and the dogs sniff out the corpses and bring them in for a chew, like dead birds, lizards and month old bones.

Thanks guys for the answers.

I am in FNQ and had a number of cane toads when we first moved into the house but after a very short time there were none till last night my girl had one bailed up.

Now I know why she has been going mad every night when we go out side for the late toilet time.

So tonight I will take the Phenol spray with me.

My next question is -

How long does it take for the Phenol to kill the toad?

I am worried as I have a 14week old little girl that does coppy the older girls.

Thanks again

Apolo

This is one of my biggest fears with Jonty as we have literally hundreds of toads (we live on acreage wth a dam where they breed) & he will chase absolutely anything that moves :laugh: .

None of my other dogs have ever worried about them, they have just completely ignored them, but Im pretty sure I wont be so lucky with him :) .

Edited by MrsD

Hi All

The worse thing in the world is seeing a dog die from a toad. We have had two dogs die from it

The vet told me if we ever have it done again we are to use valluimum, that slow down heart rate and should help the dog take the posin, and not die from the convolutions we also use the hose to spray the dogs mouth, and make sure that they vomit to get the posin out. I like to use a golf club for toads or a baseball bat to fix them.

Ella has her water and food dishes on our back deck and I think that may the reason that we are getting toads. There are 5 stairs to climb up before you get on the deck. But that hasn't deterred the toads before, they are simply looking for water and a free feed.

I can recall a couple of years ago, I was sitting at the dining table in the kitchen, reading a book when I thought that one of our cats came through the cat door which joins onto the back deck. To my horror, a big fat toad had hopped through the cat door and was staring at me. :D Thank goodness I didn't try to stroke the thing like I normally do with the cats.

Anyhow the water and food dishes are now inside so hopefully we won't be seeing anymore of the horrible things.

As far as the toads are concerned, I think that it is better to kill them quickly rather than any chemicals. I know killing is not humane but hitting with the back of a big shovel is better than watching them suffer for longer than is necessary.

Regards

Annette :)

Spraying them with detol, they die pretty quickly.

I'm from N.S.W but my other half from QLD. I had my first visit there last Christmas, and had never seen a cane toad till then. I was amazed when my mother inlaw started spraying them with detol and how fast they actually died.

As far as the toads are concerned, I think that it is better to kill them quickly rather than any chemicals. I know killing is not humane but hitting with the back of a big shovel is better than watching them suffer for longer than is necessary.

I grew up in Qld surrounded by these things, it was the passtime of all the local kids to go around under the street lights and kills them. Trust me, most times the sprays work faster than a whack! I've hit them 50 metres away with a golf club and still had them try to hop away.

Oh and don't be too complacent about the dead ones! Poison remains in them for a time after death, have seen a dried up one cause an adult dogs mouth to foam on more than one occasion, might still be enough to make a puppy sick.

We'll find something! :D Never short of amusement when there's cane toad to play with! Fun trick to play on the neighbours... tie a small sinker to the toad with a piece of fishing line and throw it on the roof, as they jump it makes a noise similar to rocking the roof. :) I feel so bad for the people who lived next door while I was growing up!!!

So I need to practice my golf on cane toads rather than little white balls?. :)

Coming from NZ we didnt have these heebeejeebies. When approaching a green at the golf club in the summer I could see black specks all over it and when we got to the green there were hundreds of baby cane toads. :D

Cane toads improve your concentration hesapandabear, moving target = more focus on your game :)

I better be careful here or someone is going to flame me soon for animal cruelty :D maybe I should add that thanks to some people it is now illegal to kill toads in any of the ways mentioned on this thread... you're meant to put them in the freezer because it's kinder to them. Yep, put a poisionus (sp) critter in with your food, yummy. Oh, and it's also worth a huge fine if you kill them in any other manner, something like $10 000? I'm not totally sure on the figure but I remember hearing it on the news, I'm too lazy to find a link or anything atm. Correct me if you know better.

Cane toads improve your concentration hesapandabear, moving target = more focus on your game ;)

I better be careful here or someone is going to flame me soon for animal cruelty :D maybe I should add that thanks to some people it is now illegal to kill toads in any of the ways mentioned on this thread... you're meant to put them in the freezer because it's kinder to them. Yep, put a poisionus (sp) critter in with your food, yummy. Oh, and it's also worth a huge fine if you kill them in any other manner, something like $10 000? I'm not totally sure on the figure but I remember hearing it on the news, I'm too lazy to find a link or anything atm. Correct me if you know better.

So who's going to buy me a chest freezer to fit them all in then? :)

I dont know about the fine/cruelty part, I checked up on this a few months back & found a website & they do "suggest" that you put them in the freezer but there was also a clause in there that said you could kill them "as long as the toad died quickly & there was no cruelty involved" or words to that effect. Of course your info may be more recent than mine :cheer: .

As for the "animal cruelty" part, I know what's more cruel & thats to see your beloved pet & other native animals die because of cane toads :thumbsup::walkdog: ;)