Cane Toads

Ella Rainbow

HAEMORRHOID CREAM FOR CANE TOADS

By Nigel Adlam (www.news.com.au)

Jan 25 - TERRITORIANS face fines of up to $12,000 for killing cane toads with golf clubs and cricket bats, it was learned yesterday.

The RSPCA's acting chief executive Lindsay Wilkinson said dispatching the pests with one clean shot was not illegal.

But it was against the law if several blows were needed.

He suggested using haemorrhoid cream instead to anaesthetise them.

But Mr Wilkinson added: "You don't need to rub it[sic] in as you normally might elsewhere."

He said hitting toads several times could be considered causing pain and suffering - and would be a contravention of the Animal Welfare Act[sic] .

"It is irresponsible and cruel to bash cane toads with implements like golf sticks or cricket bats," Mr Wilkinson said.

"Bashing rarely kills cane toads outright and can leave the creature to suffer a lingering death."

He said Territorians should don gloves and apply a strip of benzocaine ointment - better known as haemorrhoid cream - for about 25mm along the back of the toad.

"This quickly anaesthetises the toad and then it[sic] can be killed humanely[sic] by freezing while unconscious," he said.

"Benzocaine is more widely recognised as Rectinol and is available from chemists.

"One jar can treat a number of toads and this method isn't a pain in the butt for neighbours fighting off your wounded cane toads.

"The RSPCA would be pleased to see the backside of cane toads and this is a humane[sic] way to do it.

"So, don't get anal, get Rectinol."

He said the "ideal method" for dealing with the pests was to have a veterinarian euthanase them.

The RSPCA does not recommend pouring Dettol or salt on toads because this burns their skin and causes "immense suffering".

Solomon MHR David Tollner, who was famously photographed for the Sunday Territorian demonstrating how to whack a toad with a golf club, said the RSPCA should concentrate on its core business rather than fret about the fate of "toxic pests".

"It should be concerned about the horrible deaths of our native wildlife because of the toads," he said.

HAEMORRHOID CREAM FOR CANE TOADS

By Nigel Adlam (www.news.com.au)

Jan 25 - TERRITORIANS face fines of up to $12,000 for killing cane toads with golf clubs and cricket bats, it was learned yesterday.

The RSPCA's acting chief executive Lindsay Wilkinson said dispatching the pests with one clean shot was not illegal.

But it was against the law if several blows were needed.

He suggested using haemorrhoid cream instead to anaesthetise them.

But Mr Wilkinson added: "You don't need to rub it[sic] in as you normally might elsewhere."

He said hitting toads several times could be considered causing pain and suffering - and would be a contravention of the Animal Welfare Act[sic] .

"It is irresponsible and cruel to bash cane toads with implements like golf sticks or cricket bats," Mr Wilkinson said.

"Bashing rarely kills cane toads outright and can leave the creature to suffer a lingering death."

He said Territorians should don gloves and apply a strip of benzocaine ointment - better known as haemorrhoid cream - for about 25mm along the back of the toad.

"This quickly anaesthetises the toad and then it[sic] can be killed humanely[sic] by freezing while unconscious," he said.

"Benzocaine is more widely recognised as Rectinol and is available from chemists.

"One jar can treat a number of toads and this method isn't a pain in the butt for neighbours fighting off your wounded cane toads.

"The RSPCA would be pleased to see the backside of cane toads and this is a humane[sic] way to do it.

"So, don't get anal, get Rectinol."

He said the "ideal method" for dealing with the pests was to have a veterinarian euthanase them.

The RSPCA does not recommend pouring Dettol or salt on toads because this burns their skin and causes "immense suffering".

Solomon MHR David Tollner, who was famously photographed for the Sunday Territorian demonstrating how to whack a toad with a golf club, said the RSPCA should concentrate on its core business rather than fret about the fate of "toxic pests".

"It should be concerned about the horrible deaths of our native wildlife because of the toads," he said.

Raz, yep that was the same basic premise, that report says the same as the website I read :D .

Totally totally agree with the last guy about the RSPCA though, they cant do anything about animals being starved until they are nothing but skin & bone & other cruel acts but they can champion the cause of the poor canetoad. Get real :) .

It would cost more to buy the cream then it would the detol. No way would I put them in my freezer, nor would I be putting cream on their backs. Give me the spray so I can spray them.

Phenyl is the cheapest and most fast acting of all the sprays that I have tried - and believe me during the season we kill a lot of toads!!!!!! :D

I have also built a toad trap following the instructions on the Northern Territory Toadbusters site.

I have still to find a really practical light to go over it though. Car batteries need to be recharged daily as the light runs all night.

The 12v blue/purple light sold at Jayco is supposed to be the best for attracting toads but if the water gets into the connections then the whole thing won't work any more.

As far as how quick Phenyl kills toads - it depends on the size of the toads.

Tiny toadlets are killed almost instantly, middlesized ones take about 1 minute and big hooers take about 3 minutes.

I have different techniques for the different locations of the toads. Toads in open lawn areas where they can't get to water quickly - I spray.

Toads that sit around the dam I have a landing net and a big stick or a long tent peg.

Toads are not only a big danger for dogs but they also kill wildlife eg. goannas, etc. eat frogs, they see a toad, eat it and die terrible deaths. No one really notices this until the wildlife that used to be in an area is no longer there!

I HATE TOADS!!

I have a snake killer stick outside each door/gate etc. We made them by rivetting a piece of sheet metal to the end of a hoe type tool. It's got a long handle bout 6' long and the metal is about 8" long and 4" high.

It disposes of toads with one good whack (it cuts them in half) but the feeling is so good they get a few more for good measure, then into the wheelie bin not the freezer. ( icky)

A scythe would do as good a job too.

Oooh, what fun. :thumbsup::thumbsup: :D

Edited by suezija

Can you imagine your friendly vet's face when you rocked up with a bag full of toads for the green dream? :thumbsup: :D :):cry:

He'd probably take them out the back and whack them with a golf club!!

Yes, that's terribly cruel. I quite fancy the fern hook (like a scythe with a long handle) - one blow is all it takes. Unfortunately, we had so many, I got RSI after a couple of weeks.

And I certainly wouldn't use Dettol. They are hopping around the garden all day, lying around in the mulch, I am sure they must have all sorts of germs and nasties, so I give them a little wash with pine disenfectant - $2 for 2 litres. They must really like it, they sit on the lawn enjoying their little wash.

Still there a couple of days later. :thumbsup:

Spose we could all take them to the RSPCA?? :mad And they could euthanase them humanely, or put them in THEIR freezer

If you keep at it, you do eventually reduce the population. I found only very small ones last summer, and only 1 this winter, compared to the end of the first summer when I found huge monster ones everywhere. More will always come. If everyone made an effort, I think the population would evenutally reduce.

Is that before or after the officer gives you back your golf club from having his go. :thumbsup:

:D The only time we ever got in trouble from the local cop was when we left the dead ones under the street light near his house... the stink was unbelievable! Even now that I've grown up, moved away and given up my dream of being a "pro golfer" I still get a laugh watching the local kids doing the same thing. Have even seen the cop giving his son tips on his swing! Must've been a Qld kid once upon a time lol.

And thanks for clearing that up Raz! I remember hearing about it but wasn't sure on the exact details. Though I'm pretty sure they mentioned QLD too? Maybe they intend to bring it in here or something, not sure. :thumbsup:

You have to wonder about our country don't you.

We live in a nation where local authorities quite happily spread 1080 to control dingoes and foxes, but we are asked to anaesthatise toads before humanely dispatching them FFS!!

All toads that hop into view here are dispatched, by whatever means available at the time.

Geez, Raz, don't start, we'll be having haemoroid jokes till Christmas.

Did you hear about the accoutant woud couldn't get it out? He had to resort to logs.

Yes, peculiar country - 1080 causes a lot more suffering, o a dingo or fox imho, than Phenol/Dettol to a toad.

And - how about all those little bunnies, dying by inches from myxomytosis? Very nasty way to go. Maybe the RSPCA would prosecute the DPI for spreading it around?

I think people ought to be encouraged to kill toads with some effective spray. The reason a lot wont is because they don't know of any effective way, except freezing, and who wants some poisonous ugly bug eyed toad in the freezer with the prawns, the icecream and the fruit cake?

Geez, Raz, don't start, we'll be having haemoroid jokes till Christmas.

Oops sorry, Jed... but it adds new meaning to the phrase "It's as ugly as a hat full of @..holes"