Obediance Clubs, Instructors Aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrr

hi all

i was at a obediance club last night as an assistant instructor, the instructor i was alocated to help for the night was ok, and asked my advice on a rather reactive border colly, as he has spent 4 weeks attempting to get the dog performing in class. i looked at the dog, had a chat with the owner who was desperat and not in controll of the dog. she mentioned the dog was a lot better then it has been as the dog pulled her over :D .

i took the dog into a smaller area and explained to her what the dog was doing, why it was acting anxious, and explained that it wanted to just get out their and herd the other dogs. and expleined the desencitisation process, and started working on that. by the end the dog wasn't reacting to other dogs provided that they where 5m away.

the lady at the end of the session sad thanks, that i explained and helped her with the dog........ then she talked about what had happened at the club previously. one instructor (not the one taking the class yesterday) apparently talked to another "student" in front of her and the class saying "i wish we could have a class without border collys" and looked at her and sed directly to her "oh sorry i don't like border collys" :) ;) . what dose breed have any thing to do with it, these people come for help ;) :thumbsup:

to hear that an "instructor" had done this to this lady, and to hear that the lady was regretting comming to training, and was at the point of "why do it to myself, i can't do it i can't train the dog" just makes me ssssooooo mad. someone trying to do the right thing, with a dog that dosn't sut their skill leavel and was pratically brushed to the side into the too hard basked... it stinkes, it reaks like crap.

this lady was trying her best to do what was right for her dog, yes her timing suxes, her lead handiling was horred, but she was trying so hard and with a little help she did gain controll of the dog. she gained a little spark back to continue training.

why did that instructor be so rude, bulleing this por lady :walkdog: making her feal bad and worthless in frount of the wholl class :cheer: . if i ever find out what instructor it was they better be carfull, or they will be the ones humilliated....... in frount of the other instructors.

Yes peopel need to learn to look at th positive and make epople feel goo about their attempts at training the dog

Id bring it up at the next instructor meeting that as instructors you need to make the class feel good about what they are doing as its hard and singling peope ou doesnt help that

talked to another "student" in front of her and the class saying "i wish we could have a class without border collys" and looked at her and sed directly to her "oh sorry i don't like border collys" :D :) .

For interest, what breed of dog does this instructor have?

From experience (if you were that type of person) you can belittle someone's family, friends, interests but NEVER their dog, LOL.

Edited by Lablover

One of the girls in the Social class I go to, was doing Beginners Agility. Her dog wasn't overly interested and couldn't be revved up much with a toy, and tended to 'nick off'. During one lesson the instructor told the owner her dog was a 'waste of time'. Needless to say she doesn't do Agility at the moment. I thought instructors were meant to be helpful, not stomp on peoples confidence.

I guess we can't be too critical though they are volunteers after all. :D

Yes, they are volunteers. That makes it tricky.

I've had instructors ask me why I bother with my dog, why I don't get him debarked, why I rescued him from the pound in the first place ... :thumbsup:

It used to be bother me, but now it's water off a duck's back. I know my dog is dominant, strong and generally a bit thick :thumbsup: But he's a character. :D

Shows that they're not much of an instructor! :thumbsup:

Given how hard it is to get people to educate themselves and take a dog to obedience, thats disgraceful!! :D

Thank god the owner persisted.... she deserves a big :thumbsup: for that! :)

Petmezz,

If anything ever occurs at training that you are not happy with, you should talk to the most senior person working on the night.

If you still feel the issue hasnt been resolved to your satisfaction, contact management - they always appreciate feedback and will definately act on the matter.

Commenting on DOL rather than talking to those involved at the club won't help the clients in the future.

Good work with the Border Collie!

Edited by Frau Rottweiler

it would seem that a few people have had simular experiances with instructors :mad it is not good.

Given how hard it is to get people to educate themselves and take a dog to obedience, thats disgraceful!!

Thank god the owner persisted.... she deserves a big :thumbsup: for that!

I 100% agree with you feralpup. this lady gets :thumbsup: :D from me, not only did she put up with the shit from the previous instructor, she braved a cold canberra winter night to at least try to train her dog.

I've had instructors ask me why I bother with my dog, why I don't get him debarked, why I rescued him from the pound in the first place ...

yeh i know a few people like that at the local club :) yet most complain about all the dogs deing pts in the pounds :cry: .

For interest, what breed of dog does this instructor have?
........... a old GSD inheroted as a close friend couldn't look after it.
I thought instructors were meant to be helpful, not stomp on peoples confidence.

yeh my thoughts to....... apparently some just wan't to make themselves feal better and not look at "problem dogs" and not aknowlage them.

Commenting on DOL rather than talking to those involved at the club won't help the clients in the future.

Good work with the Border Collie!

hi Frau

this thred was just me releasing my frustration, it took last night and most of today to stop thinking of this lady her dog and why someone didn't do some thing earler for her. i needed to "RANT" to knowlagebal dog people.

be assured that the club will hear about this..... i don't think it will get very far though :thumbsup: as i'm very new to this club.

My job is Adult Education and Training Developement. I could give you some real horror stories of people in this postion. The sad fact is knowing your subject matter does not make you good at teaching. Being a good instructor is more about your personality, people skills and communication skills than it is about how good you are at your job and how much you know.

The first thing you must do is bulid trust and a bond with students. If they don't respect you there is no point in going on, the No.1 rule this guy forgot.

Edited by AussieGTA

Think that is why I have obedience away, I had fun in the early levels with my boy & took it slow, but once I reached the third level, Scandal just didn't enjoy it & I could tell, as before he used to jump into the car & all of a sudden he didn't, & once there he just didn't want to do anything, was also told he was just being naughty by one instructor, so needless we stopped going ( funny thing was so did a few others!! ) I did take my girl for puppy classes,mainly for the social outings.

But stopped going altogether & decided to try herding & they love it, I still use some obedience with them in training but its fun fun fun & when I grab my leash on Sunday's Scandal jumps & barks & spins around :thumbsup:

Would love to maybe do obedeince oneday again but I found the massive group too much & you didn't get enough one-on-one, & yes I do believe there are more people skills needed & no one should say 'ANY' dog is hopeless, as everydog is different & worth training.

Andrea, The Aussies, The Ponies

When my BC was about 5mths old I had her in the front yard with me while I was gardening. I don't have front fences so I put her on a long lead (it didn't go past the boundary). Without me noticing the dog next door came over (he is never out the front!) and started attacking Maddy. It was probably all of 3-4 seconds as he stopped when I reacted but Maddy was petrified.The owner saw and came over and said something like "getting to know each other are they". I was not impressed.

The catch is that a few months later she said I should bring Maddy to her dog classes! She actually teaches dog obedience!

What a rotten thing to say :(

One of my instructors ended up telling me my dog was the problem at training, not me :mad That was a little different though...he'd spent 2 months telling me it was my fault and that the dog was in charge, etc, etc before finally admitting that it was just an age thing and I'd have to be patient until he grew up a little bit :eek: Made me feel a lot better because I was losing confidence in my own abilities to deal with my stubborn, pig headed 8 month old pup.

I think his decision was based on my dog flatly refusing to drop. He'd either stay sitting or jump up and smack me in the face with his tongue. One day my instructor had had enough and marched over to tell the dog himself only to be greeted by a very large tongue right in the mouth :eek:

10 months later, it still makes me giggle.

One of my instructors ended up telling me my dog was the problem at training, not me :eek:

That's funny - that's the complete opposite of what everyone keeps telling my hubby at training - the dog can work great, it's the handler that is the problem :eek: .

:( to him though - he got promoted to class 2 last week after only 6 classes :mad .

To me the most important things being an instructor are being able to communicate with people & impart information effectively whilst encouraging handlers to both keep coming to training & improve their handling skills. Sounds like the instructor that the OP is talking about failed miserably!

What a shame that people have been experiencing this at training. At some clubs you are going to without doubt come across it and it is such a shame. Particularly with problem dogs. I guess the issue is (and not this particular instructor, they were just downright rude!) is to constructively comment on a dogs behaviour. I have come across a few handlers that have dogs that they have difficulty handling or are disrupting the class simply by the way they are positioned (two boisterous puppies next to each other). Sometimes I have found that some people don't take well to advice no matter how it is given and this is one of the things I love about my club (having just finished the instructors course) as this is one of the main things we focus on - trying to offer advice in a 'positive' manner. Having said that - when I asked to enter into the trialling class with my dog, I was told I wasn't allowed to a few times, one coz of his age and 2 coz he hadn't done the highest obedience class yet. When I explained to them that my instructor (knowing full well I wanted to trial) told me to head straight to the trial ring, they asessed me - we passed with flying colours and I think they were impressed with his work ethic. The difference was between 'play' and 'work' mode! I think Petmezz can relate to this *g*! Having said that they were apologetic and told me that they were inundated with people asking to trial that were clearly not ready. I understood their point of view, but the biggest thing an instructor needs to learn is how to offer 'advice' without seeming to be critical and putting the handler down. I mean - we offer positive training for our dogs, why not reinforce it for the handlers too!

Hi PetMezz :eek:

Which club are you at? I've found a range of instructors at my club, from the fantastic to the downright nasty. Ive been told *numerous* times by instructors that they 'dont like small, white, fluffy dogs' or 'dont like Westies' or Maltese etc . I ignore these comments now, but unfortunately some instructors (who hate SWF's) then ignore us for the whole 8 week class, and in one case, deliberately upset my dog and laugh about it :mad:

One of my SWF's does agility, and we've been told that it's a waste of time because he (my dog) doesn't have the right 'work ethic' :eek: . Luckily we are having fun rather than working :wink:

On the other end of the scale, I have met some wonderful, talented, dedicated instructors who go out of their way to help all the dogs, give well thought out advice over and above what is required in class and spend time inside and outside of class helping with problems. These wonderful instructors have taught me a lot, and helped me train my dogs to be wonderful companions (and soon competitors - regardless of work ethic :( ).

Dont let a few duds spoil it for you - there are gems out there too :(

Edited by BittyMooPeeb