Just Venting

This is just a vent (DOL is such a good headache remedy!)

I'm taking my baby SWF to training - as responsible dog owners do - and I've had it up to my eyeballs with comments.

Last night was:

"I didn't know that a Maltese could be trained"

"Maltese are very badly behaved - yours must be a cross" :D ;) (ie the crossing explaining the lack of "bad behaviour").

"blah blah small yappy dog blah blah dont like them blah blah"

Every week I get sniggers and rude comments when I am working with Blossom on her 'barking problem'. But the person next to me with a dog aggressive kelpie gets praise and sympathy :rofl::rofl: . Apparently it's only 'cool' to work on your dogs embarrasing problem if they are big dogs (or not small, white and fluffy at least).

They are members of the club too - why is it hard for them to understand that I am working with my dog, and that if I wanted to be sniggered and stared at, I would just walk down the street instead???

Vent over :walkdog: .

Baby Blossom is doing very well. Some wonderful instructors gave me fantastic advice, and now we can actually make it in to class (with only one screaming incident - when I leave her to collect our card) and do the whole class without *any* incidents. Only two months ago I had to spend the class in the carpark trying not to be deafened by ear splitting screams :D

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How rude! I can't believe anyone would think comments like that are appropriate when you're doing the right thing and making great progress :rofl: Maltese can be lovely dogs and those comments are completely out of place.

They should be impressed that you own a small dog and are willing to dedicate the time to train her when so many people just let the little ones behave as badly as they like.

Good luck with her and don't let these rude buggers get you down :rofl:

Only two months ago I had to spend the class in the carpark trying not to be deafened by ear splitting screams

:rofl: your dogs are hilarious! But at least you've improved. Don't let these idiots get you down, and I hope your still having fun with the little cutie.

Next time you get those sorts of comments, use some sort of snappy response like "Odd, because she seems a lot easier to train than most irresponsible pet owners." or if they say make those stupid 'small yappy dogs' comment or 'bad behaviour/untrainable dog' comments you tell them that all dogs can be trained, not just the breeds they like.

Don't let them get to you!

can sympathise tremendously with you.

same thing happened when I took my swf, she was laughed at and I thought she did really well at training but she was ridiculed :rofl: by the trainer

she shouldnt' have had to be perfect, she was only learning too! and she was pretty good!

sadly no longer with us

stick your head up high and go show them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As an owner of a MWF (medium white fluffy) I do understand where you are coming from. My nickname at our OB club is "Bo Peep and the Sheep". If one more Border Collie owner tells their dog to "round mine up" .............

Never mind, down-sizing is a trend of the future - smaller cars, smaller homes and yes, smaller dogs. So it is only a matter of time and the swf will be the majority and you will be setting the benchmark.

You will always get the person who has a problem with getting their brain and mouth to work together (that is if the brain is there!) but then there are the really good ones who more than make up.

I'll look forward to hearing about your successes in the future.

Noels.

Great to see that you are training her!! It is funny how most people dont think it is necessary to train small breeds. One of the best dogs at my dog school is a 3kg maltese, she is gorgeous (and tiny compared to all the big dogs in the class!!)

Go for it :rofl:

All dogs need training not just the big ones :rofl:

Good on you for sticking to the training and don't worry about the people with small minds they obviously have something lacking in their life if they have to make small minded comments, just think your dog will probably be better trained than those ignorant people anyway.

That's so rude, I'd love to see more SWF at our club. Somedays, it just seems to be a German Shepherd and Staffy club.

I have a Border Collie, and I still get some very nasty and snide comments directed towards me too :rofl:

I don't tell Indi to round anyone up, that's just *so* cliche :rofl:

can sympathise tremendously with you.

same thing happened when I took my swf, she was laughed at and I thought she did really well at training but she was ridiculed :rofl: by the trainer

she shouldnt' have had to be perfect, she was only learning too! and she was pretty good!

sadly no longer with us

stick your head up high and go show them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a SWF and she is as "quick as a whip"- really smart and catches on really quickly! Can teach my other dog how to hold a dumbell, do all sorts of tricks etc..

I don't think a lot of the so-called instructors at the local ob. clubs have a clue about dog behaviour.

Dogs that are branded "stupid", ie a lot of sight-hounds - as we all know are bred for a different purpose to a BC or a GSD - they have brilliance in other directions eg. winning a race.

They all have their expertise in different areas. Terriers dig, beagles track etc, etc..

I know that sounds simplistic but, to my mind, many dogs and handlers are brushed aside when people don't understand them. A Maltese is a smart little dog, don't let them laugh at you!

Nil carborundem desperandum (Don't let the buggers grind you down!)

Try using motivational methods - positive reinforcement. Go to ClickerSolutions, a Yahoo Group on the Web run by Melissa Alexander and see what they have to say, then you can go and prove all the detractors DEAD

wrong! :rofl:

!

I always laugh when I hear comments about certain breeds being incapable of learning certain skills or training to a high level. In my advanced classes I have had all sorts, from maltese to cavaliers, pugs, pomeranians, beagles and the list goes on.

I always politely let people know that the only limitations in training are those of the handler :laugh:

We used to have a Shepherd, a Bullmastiff, a Yorkshire Terrier and a Pom/Maltese cross all at the same time. It was a toss up between the two littlies who learnt the fastest! The Yorkie was incredibly bright and the pom cross I taught tricks to using drive no problems at all. As Haven said, the only limitations are those of the handler, and the small mindedness of those around you!

*harrumph* One of the top performing obedience trials dogs in my club is a papillion (spelling?).

It is bad enough when small dog owners think their dogs don't need training, it is totaly ludicrous that bigger dog owners perpetuate this myth.

Next time someone says anything give them a steely glare and say "so my dog is small it should be UNtrained? Do you think that is a good thing?" and start tapping your foot.

Also speak to the training committeee (or whoever is in charge on instructors) - the attitude needs to be nipped off.

I have been on both sides of the divide and am currently training my black mini. I am also on our commitee. I had two women, one with a GSD fully grown and another with a fully grown bullie decide to do a bit more than take the mickey in my puppy class. To be honest, there was nothing admirable about either dog/handler package , the intellect connected to them or the results. The GSD was showing signs of fear aggression ot my little girl. To suggest that after a while that I did give them a blistering earful on responsibilty, listening to what they were told, and actually practising it would have been an understatement.

:thumbsup: your dogs are hilarious! But at least you've improved. Don't let these idiots get you down, and I hope your still having fun with the little cutie.

I am :rofl:. Tell your brother that Blossom sends him a kiss. Hang on, maybe the memory of that day is why she screams :rofl::angel: .

I always laugh when I hear comments about certain breeds being incapable of learning certain skills or training to a high level. In my advanced classes I have had all sorts, from maltese to cavaliers, pugs, pomeranians, beagles and the list goes on.

I always politely let people know that the only limitations in training are those of the handler

Too true :banghead: . Blossom is a clever girl and she is doing really well (the instructors have been great!). Pity about the handler :cry:

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I have to ask you more experienced obedience guys....is this attitude towards small dogs the norm with obedience? I have a papillion that I *maybe* want to do obedience with, and want to be prepared for the attitude, if I am gunna jump in the deep end....

If it is (and I don't think it is down here, at least), it shouldn't be. I think way too many people think they don't need to take their little dogs to training - when in fact it would benefit them and the dogs. But also, these little ones can be plenty smart, and deserve the opportunity to learn 'stuff' every bit as much as bigger dogs.

I have seen a great little Papi trialling down here - years ago now. He was very good - very attentive heeling, and a recall to die for - little tail streaming out behind him as he flew in. I must admit, he had a few problems with stays on very windy days, but he worked like crazy to hold his sit stay against the wind.

I would think Papis would make great little agility dogs too - and the ones I've known are keen as mustard.

I want all your little dogs for Flyball, so watch out, I maybe lurking..............

Seriously, small dogs are always in demand as height dogs in a flyball team. The height of the jumps is set on the smallest dog in the team. At the end of the day when all the dogs are tired they will have been very appreciative to jump the lower jumps because they are lucky enough to have a small dog in the team.

Bring on the small dogs........

Noels.