Heartworm Needle / Should L Get Pup Done?

archie

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some breeds (eg Collie & I think greyhounds) are sensitive to the "ingredient" in the heartworm injection & react badly - hence many people's hesitation. Also, why put that many drugs into a dog's system at once when they can have a monthly or daily tablet. Also, if they have the injection & react badly, you effectively have to wait a full year for it to clear their system - monthly tablets, hopefully the side effects would be over within the month.

someone did say to me the injection is not good, is the tablets needed or is it better to not bother at all.

we do there yearly vacinations but have had different feedback regarding the heartworm.

I've learnt from this forum not to give dogs the yearly needle injection :rofl: I have been feeding my 2 monthly tablets (Sentinel Spectrum). It's worked well for me cos it seems to work for them

Depends on what u decide but its definitely better to have tablets. The tablets are definitely needed if the injection (not preferred) is not used!!!!

as others have stated here Collie and related breeds( Shelties, Border Collies, Aussie Sheps, Greyhounds ) and even GSD's have a sensitivity to the drug Ivermectin and any related drug, including the yearly injection.It can can fatal or near-fatal reactions.

I would never give the yearly heartworm injection to any dog, regardless of breed. Too much for their system to cope with

I have had my greyhound on the yearly heartworm for 2 and a bit yrs now...so 3 injections and there has never been a prob but also I have not had it done at the same time as his C4 injection tho. I think it is something you need to talk to your vet about.

Hugs

Sas & JB

The Product was taken off the market in the USA after a high rate of reactions to the drug, including deaths.

In Canada the product is labeled "to be used only when there is no alternative "

Here in Australia the drug company are now trying to push it onto 12 week old puppys. And give them 2 doses in their first year.

Go Figure!!

I believe it is a very personal choice as to whether or not people give the injection or not, and am thankful that the people who have had it done haven't had any problems.

However, I believe that before anybody makes that personal decision needs to do their research, as not all vets know all the problems that different breeds have. And if you're like me, you would never have considered greyhounds to be a breed related to collies - thanks Inspector Rex :laugh: . I knew that they both had problems with the drug, but didn't realise that they were related to each other at some point.

Knowledge is power.

I would never give any of my own dogs or fosters the annual h/w injection. Why risk it when there are proven safe alternatives? I use Interceptor Spectrum for mine and Guardian (six-weekly chewable tablet) for Jackie (my foster). No side effects or other complications. Relatively inexpensive and easy to buy. Dogs tolerate their monthly dose with no problems. Molly eats her tablet like it's a treat...the others have theirs wrapped in peanut butter. :laugh:

Guest Ponies

Both my dogs (Border Collie x Kelpie and Kelpie x ACD) get the yearly Injection.

Neither have had a reaction and gets done with the yearly injections.

I my opinion, the problem with the yearly injection is that should the dog be one of the admittedly small percentage of the dog population who has an adverse reaction to the injection...then it is not simply a matter of not giving the next dose..you are stuck with the result for a long period of time.

I would not use it. Like dried dog food, it has been developed for the convenience of the owner rather than the welfare of the dog.,

the more l ask people the more l am deciding not to go with the needle for the pup.

though my 2 previous GSD always had the H/W needle with no problem. Buy giving the tablets would'nt that be as bad in there system as the needle? lf l ask the vet of course he will recommend the needle.