Heartworm Needle / Should L Get Pup Done?

archie

Both of mine have the yearly injection. Never had a single problem (they are a staffy and a bulldog) use it mainly out of convienence (sp?) and it seems to work well. With every thing else that they need (intestinal worming, frontline for fleas, etc etc) it's just one less thing to think about!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks Morgan for posting that link.

when a dog has a reaction or death is it within so many hours of needle given or can they have a reaction months after it has been given? l had no idea how unsafe it is.

Reactions to vaccines can occur within minutes, hours, days, weeks or months. In humans they are even starting to link Parkinsons Disease with the aluminium contained in many vaccines - this is obviously many years later! Hep B shots given to some newborn infants have killed them within 4 or 5 hours.

My vet stopped using it due to some of his patients contracting auto immune haemolytic anaemia as a result, which is fatal. He says the incidence of this is supposedly small, but how do you tell the grieving owner that?

At my last annual vac my vet asked how i prevent heartworm - and i said monthly tablets, i said the vaccine has ivermectine type drug in it which can cause reactions (akitas are on the sensitive list). he said it was fine as it was a synthetic?? but he doesnt mind as long as the dogs are being treated somehow - and with people he trusts he doesnt push it...

if people are likely to forget the monthly tabs i would suggest the vaccine - not everyone is so dog organised....

Reactions to vaccines can occur within minutes, hours, days, weeks or months. In humans they are even starting to link Parkinsons Disease with the aluminium contained in many vaccines - this is obviously many years later! Hep B shots given to some newborn infants have killed them within 4 or 5 hours.

My vet stopped using it due to some of his patients contracting auto immune haemolytic anaemia as a result, which is fatal. He says the incidence of this is supposedly small, but how do you tell the grieving owner that?

Exactly!!! have seen the same here, plus numerous dogs suddenly becoming "skin dogs" with all sorts of skin, ear problems.

My Vet does not reccomend it at all.

Personally I think we assault our pets immune systems with far too many drugs and it is the animals who pay the price.

I recently got my two done with it, first time, figured i would see how they go as i always forget to give them the tablets.

Nothing has happened to either of them both are fine, and if they continue that way i will continue to give them the injection.

I will never give it to my dogs either.

There is a member on an Alaskan Malamute board I visit who lost his 3 year old dog to auto immune issues (I can't remember the exact terminology) after giving the yearly heartworm shot. I won't take the risk as I and I don't think giving a monthly chew to be too onerous.

I have never had any problems giving ivermectin class drugs to my greyhounds, nor have I ever heard of greyhounds being on the sensitive list. I would very much like to see the link that states collies and greyhounds are related :rofl:

I have never had any problems giving ivermectin class drugs to my greyhounds, nor have I ever heard of greyhounds being on the sensitive list. I would very much like to see the link that states collies and greyhounds are related :confused:

Admittedly there is nothing "concrete" in these links that either Collies & greyhounds are either related or that greyhounds have sensitivity. However, I would rather err on the side of caution with our girl. A couple of links for you...

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Link 5

• 3 weeks later...

My dobe was first treated on daily heartworm tabs whenI moved into a heartworm prone area (18mts of age) ....I then at about 3yrs of age put him onto heatguard....but I was often remiss in remenering to dose him (blame me being in my 20's) by the time I had to go through blood tests each year, and then the cost of heart guard....I was relieved to find that a simpiler proctection was available!...1 blood test..the injection at the time of his annual shots & no probs whatsoever! (just as an aside...I'm a person who is VERY sceptical of vaccinations..as I have personally had some severe reactions from vaccinations..) however, my boy seemeed to tolerate it well, it meant he was covered, despite my negligence & forgetfullness....in his later years, as he wasn't living in a misquito prone area and was essentailly a "house dog" I stopped his vaccinations...when I moved to Tassie....heartworm was not a prob, so I didn't subject his immune system to the extra assualt.

all I can say is that if you live in a heartworm prone area, I would seriously consider giving your dog that protection....however, my personal opinion is if the heartworm risk is extremely low...then why subject your dog to a further pathogen......it's all about weighing up the risks :D

Aus

Our dogs are on monthly treatment

You have to think about how this treatment would effect your dog later in life, by consistently being exposed to the 'chemical' in such high level in order to cover for an entire year - you have to wonder what effect this would have on the dogs system.

My dog had his heartworm injection when he was 6months old because he was going to a boarding kennel at 9 months old in December last year for one month. I didn't know any better then about how toxic it can be, and my old vet said it was ok to give to puppies from 6 months. Luckily my dog didn't have any reaction at the time. I give him monthly tablet now. Does anyone know if the injection can cause auto immune system issues 12 months later?

Edited by panda