Litter Training

TessaBella

Are you talking about kitty litter? They are quite costly and usually the pup will not go after using it two to three times, thus you gotta change them. You can actually use newspaper.

I was speaking to a breeder (not the one I'm buying form) and they suggested using the kitty litter as a training method whilst I am not at home. Also, I plan to travel on a regular basis (with pup in tow) to my mum's house and litter would be more appropriate there than going on the lawn...safety issues and cats :confused:

The dog needs to be trained to go outside aswell.Is this dog going to be solely in the house 24/7???

No. Only when I will be away from the house for longer than the pup can hold on or when I'm visiting my mum. When I'm at home, the pup will be taken outside often to toilet.

It will be using the litter at my mum's because she has a small yard with a pool that is unfenced (still legal btw - doors automatically shut as per legislation) and although I won't just be kicking it outside and leaving it to do it's thing, I am well aware that pups can move very quickly. So this is more a precaution than anything. Also I know how to use litter and whilst I realise that the newspaper method isn't rocket science, I would prefer to use the litter.

Once the pup is confident (or I am :confused: )in toileting outside, I will phase out the litter...or at least that's the plan :party:

As said before, I've been advised to avoid the clay litter as they tend to eat it, I'm just wondering what other alternatives are suitable... :rofl:

Thanks again

Well I have no idea about litter training puppies, but in regards to eating the litter, the paper based litters are the safest. Eg. Max's or Breeder's Choice. Do NOT use crystals or clumping litter as they can be very dangerous if ingested.

Pet barn also has as an inside loo thing for dogs, costly but may be an option. I think that there is something on there web site for it.

Thanks for the suggestion Sezy, but too costly... :confused: Paper training is an option, but I'd prefer litter training as I believe it is more portable, thus more suited to the situation

Hmmm...interesting. I would have thought that taking a couple of folded newspapers anywhere you go would have been more portable than lugging a bag of litter?

Personally, I don't believe that any of the reasons you've stated for litter training make it any more necessary. I would rather put the time and energy into proper housetraining and then you have the puppy trained for life. If you litter train it, you are making a rod for yourself because when the dog is older you will STILL have a litter trained dog and not necessarily a housetrained dog. Even puppies which are crate trained, or are trained to a small puppysafe area in the home learn the whole thing quickly and can be very reliable even after a short period of time.

Even at your mother's house, there is no reason why you couldn't be training your dog to do what most of us already do. Hang on until there is appropriate timing or supervision for an outside visit. Most of my dogs are also trained to go "potty" on the lead for the very same reason as you have used. When I would visit my parents' home, their pool was not fenced and I didn't feel comfortable allowing my dogs loose in their backyard. No, it's not convenient all the time, yes it is a nuisance when you are forced to go and stand with your dog in a cold or wet backyard when they need to "go" but it works.

for all the pets ive owned previous and current ie Rats and Cats and now Bully's i use the Recucled Paper Kitty Litter as its non toxic.

and if ur puppy does decide to eat abit of the litter its only paper and wont hurt him ro her

Personally, I don't believe that any of the reasons you've stated for litter training make it any more necessary. I would rather put the time and energy into proper housetraining and then you have the puppy trained for life.

I agree with ellz, I think you're just going to make things hard for yourself. Train the puppy to go outside from the beginning, that's much the best way. I really couldn't be bothered with all the newspapers and litter stuff, seems like a waste of time and energy to me.

I have taken all of your advice into account and have just received a crate. I have decided that crate training would probably be more suitable and have made arrangements for a place in my room to ut the crate both at home and at my mum's.

Thanks all for your help and advice