Stopping Puppy Whining

oreo

WE HAVE A 8 WEEK OLD PUPPY AND HE WINES TO COME INSIDE WHEN LEFT OUT FOR SHORT PERIODS EG 15MINUTES, AND WHEN WE GO TO WORK HE WHINES ALL DAY.

HE HAS ALOT OF TOYS TO PLAY WITH AND FOOD AND WATER.

ANY SUGESTIONS AS TO HOW WE STOP THIS WE CAN TRY????????

First of all, is he an inside dog or outside dog? I see that you wrote he's outside, but it this all the time?

What breed of pup is he?

Both of these questions will help more people know how to help you, even if it's not breed specific advice. Some breeds are bred specifically as companion animals an hate to be away from their people.

Did you try getting the pup used to being alone before going back to work?

Have you thought about using a crate to train "alone" time?

Any other info you can give will be very helpful. Including how long you work for each day...

:rolleyes:

NEWSFLASH! Baby puppy = Baby human! :eek:

Babies cry because they are hungry, tired, cold, need to go to the toilet, sick, bored, lonely - need I go on...?? :D

Your puppy is only 8 weeks old and has nothing in the world now except for YOU ;) Everything that is familiar is GONE - Mum, brothers and sisters, familiar humans, smells, food, basket and old toy things that were great to play with when you had friends! :vomit:

Be considerate of all those things :o

Buy a special crate or basket for baby - a place that is his. Make it cosy and put a favourite toy in there with him. When he is in it, give him special little treats for being quiet.:D Don't force him and don't make it too longer timeframe.

When he goes outside - you take him outside and you play with him and you keep him company, be his friend, make sure nothing scares him and reward him immediately when he goes to the toilet out there ;)

If that's too much for you (and some people just are NOT "puppy" people!) think about returning him and getting an older dog who is past the baby phase :rolleyes: I'm not judging at all! Sometimes it's just the better option for human and baby puppy :)

BEST OF LUCK! :laugh:

If that's too much for you (and some people just are NOT "puppy" people!) think about returning him and getting an older dog who is past the baby phase :rolleyes: I'm not judging at all! Sometimes it's just the better option for human and baby puppy :D

This is soooooo true t-time :laugh: Many people think they want a puppy because they're cute, but have no idea of the work and time involved in rearing it.

oreo this post isn't aimed at you, just a general obsevation :vomit:

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK.. WE LOVE HIM SO MUCH AND HE IS A BORDER COLLIE/CROSS STAFFY AND UNSURE OF THE FATHERS BREED. WE GOT HIM FROM THE RSPCA HE WAS IN A LITTER OF 6 WHICH ALSO FOUND HOMES. WE UNDERSTAND HE IS MISSING US OF A DAY AND WANTS TO SEE US SO HE DOESNT FEEL LONELY. WE GOT HIM AS A PUP AND ARE HAPPY TO TEACH HIM AND BRING HIM UP THE CORRECT WAY.

WE CAN PUT UP WITH HIS WHINING/CRYING BUT JUST WANT TO KNOW IF WE ARE DOING THINGS RIGHT. WE HAVE THE TIME FOR HIM AND JUST WANT THE BEST FOR HIM.

HE HAS A GOOD CLEAN PEN AND TOYS AND A GOOD MARROW BONE AND PLENTY OF FRESH WATER AVALIABLE SO I THINK THAT IS ALL HE NEEDS.

ONCE HE GETS USED TO US LEAVING AN COMING HOME LATER IN THE DAY HE SHOULD BE OK SHOULDNT HE??

Oreo, first of all it's very difficult to read if you typed with your CAPs on.

If possible, in the first week or so, whenever you are home, try going out and coming into the house often to let him get used to the idea not everytime the sound of the main door is locked and unlocked, someone leaves and never comes back.

Then if he is outside and whine/cry, don't go to him or even peep through the window. Just let him cry as long as he will, once he stops, count 10 seconds before you go outside let him see you but don't look. Then again count 10 seconds before you go and praise him CALMLY (not excitedly). Then go back inside again. Do this as often as you can. His cries should shorten in no time.

Umm....and when you go to work, is someone coming back to feed him during the day? :thumbsup:

Little pups need to be fed frequently until they are at least 6 months of age - minumum of 3 times per day but at only 8 weeks he should really be on 5 small meals :D Did the RSPCA tell you this?

Also, it's highly likely that he doesn't really know what to do with a bone, especially a big one. :D Also little pups should always be supervised when eating bones in case they get stuck, caught on their little teeth, choke, having trouble pooping out the contents later on. :D

I would say that this is the MAIN reason your baby is crying - he's HUNGRY! :D (And lonely too :))

I always leave a TV or Radio on so they can hear some noise etc .... I have found this to work ... When Ty was little i use to fill a couple of Kongs full on Peanut butter etc and freeze them. I would then give him one and hid the other. Then i would spread different treats etc through the yard so he had something to help take his mind off us not being there. I did the same with bones!! Given time he will get used to being alone. Good luck :thumbsup:

HE HAS A GOOD CLEAN PEN AND TOYS AND A GOOD MARROW BONE AND PLENTY OF FRESH WATER AVALIABLE SO I THINK THAT IS ALL HE NEEDS.

ONCE HE GETS USED TO US LEAVING AN COMING HOME LATER IN THE DAY HE SHOULD BE OK SHOULDNT HE??

oreo this puppy needs feeding at least three times a day, just leaving a marrow bone isn't sufficient IMO. Is there someone who could come in and feed him and play with him a couple of times a day?

Judging by his breeding your puppy will grow to be very active and there is a good chance that he will become bored, frustrated and destructive if he's locked in a pen for 8/10 hours a day. Yes he'll get used to you leaving and coming home, but you may have to put up with an over the top, very excited, uncontrollable puppy unless you put a lot of work and training into him. BC's need a lot of mental and physical stimulation, they were bred to work all day and a bored BC can be noisy and very hard to live with. Staffies are first and foremost people dogs, they are also highly intelligent and can be incredibly destructive, a combination of these two breeds could be a recipe for disaster unless you make sure that he gets lots of attention, training and exercise.

Staffies are first and foremost people dogs, they are also highly intelligent and can be incredibly destructive, a combination of these two breeds could be a recipe for disaster unless you make sure that he gets lots of attention, training and exercise.

Aint that the truth!!

• 7 months later...
So much good advice was given and now 6months later how is this puppy going? Hopefully not somewhere in the rescue threads....? O_o

I don't think we will ever know. The last time the owner logged into the forum was December 2006 :rainbowbridge: