Keeping A Puppy/dog In A Pen

BT-Argo

Hi All

I do not have a dog as yet but I read most topics on DOLS as to do as much research as I can for future and love going to dog shows.

I know lots of people crate train their dogs and have varied views on how long they keep their puppies in them during the day.

My question is if you have a small toy breed type dog can you keep a puppy/dog in a puppy pen say 2m * 1m while they are new to a home so they get accustomed to their new environment and how long can a small dog like this stay in a pen ..... i.e. 4 hours or more. ideally up to 8 hours on odd occasion

When i get a puppy / dog .. I want to set up a safe environment but also have peace of mind when he is alone...

I want to crate train him when I am home but would like to keep him in a pen with access to an open door crate (ill attach the crate externally on each side to one of the pen panels) while not at home or confine him to one room (with a open door and gate) till he settles in etc before giving him access to the balcony and the rest of the unit.

I do not want to be attacked by this post i am asking a genuine question and trying to learn so i am better prepared.

One more point... I interpret a crate as a den for a dog... somewhere they can sleep feel safe and an owner can train them for various things i.e housetraining etc... a pen is somewhere to restrict the dog from having access to everything but they can move freely in the space.... is that how a crate and pen difer? or is this wrong?

Thanks

C.

Edited by Curious

Hey C!

I have used a pen with my pup (he is 20 weeks) since I first got him.

pen.jpg

I have found it to be great. He now only uses it over night and will not sleep contently all night unless he is in it.

If I was to have the choice again, I would have chosen a crate (trying to talk the OH into using one now) for a few reasons.

1 - The pen is large enough for the pup to have an area to sleep and an area to toilet. Crates make it so easy to toilet train pups because Dogs don't like to sleep and wee in the same spot. Douglas has room to sleep AND wee (and hold a party for all his friends if he wants).

2 - Its a pain in the butt to take down and put up every morning.

3 - It looks rediculous in the main areas of the house. A crate is smaller and can become a more permanent fixture.

Please keep in mind that a puppy will need 3 meals a day so leaving them while you go out for 8 hours is not really a good idea.

Go the crate I say.

Edited by bikle

Hi Curious, I'm also about to be a first time puppy owner and I've bout myself a crate. I looked at the pens also, but agree with Bikle when she says "3 - It looks rediculous in the main areas of the house. A crate is smaller and can become a more permanent fixture." Also, I find it easier to put in the car (hatchback).

I am getting a Cavalier pup and I've bought a Medium-sized crate. Whilst this is much too big for a puppy of this size, I have it set up so that she has her bed in one end and no access to the other end until she is bigger (and housebroken). Will post a pic later to demonstrate.

The medium-sized crate will also be big enough for her when she is fully grown.

Any ideas on what sort of pup you'll be wanting?

We had a pen for our pup when we first got him and I must admit he didn't like it at all. We made it very comfortable for him, however he tried to climb out of it and push it over. So we gave up and got baby gates and gave him his own section of the house and he loved that.

we used it more for when we couldn't keep an eye on him so he wouldn't start chomping on cords etc etc

In hindsight, I think we should have used a crate

This is the setup of my crate (well, Bella's anyway :laugh: ) The box on top is the onw that I'll use when I pick her up and the blanket is one that I knitted for her myself and will leave with the breeder to get the home smell on it.

63ee92b1.jpg

Edited by **BellaBaby**

Hi All

Firslty thanks for replies.

Bellababy.. id love to get a toy poodle, as i have limited space... out of all the small dogs i like that breed the best i like the best...

based on what everyone is saying it looks like a crate part of the house is a good idea..

Bikle...i am leaning towards an older puppy / young adult when the time comes.

P.S for some reason i cant see anyones images on this site today... *work p.c may be the issue*

Edited by Curious

Bellababy.. id love to get a toy poodle, as i have limited space... out of all the small dogs i like that breed the best

P.S for some reason i cant see anyones images on this site today... *work p.c may be the issue*

Toy poodles are very cute, but have you been informed of the amount of maintenance required by them? I don't mean to sound nasty, but they need a lot of work and from what I hear, need a lot of mental stimulation.

The medium-sized crate would probably suit a mini poodle from 8 weeks to fully grown. (I got mine off ebay, PM me if you would like details).

I'll describe my image for you. It's a wire crate with a cardboard box in the front filled with blankets and an old pillow. In the back, there's a tray full of the things I'll need when the pup arrives (brush, comb, shampoo, nail clippers, collar, lead, dish etc.)

There's a second box on the top of the crate with a handmade wollen blanket (:laugh:) in it that has all four sides so that she can't escape whilst travelling home. I say all four sides, because the one in the crate has had the front cut out of it so she can climb in and out... :laugh:

I am a big crate fan as well. I have one for both my dogs. They sleep either in the crates or in the laundry with a doggy (baby) gate and a lockable dog door to the outside. Sometimes one in the laundry and one in a crate outside the door.

I have large dogs so a pen would be demolished in no time :p .

Both dogs slept in crates for the first few months but after that it was easier for them to be in the laundry and be able to get to the toilet by themselves.

Cyclone Bruno is now in the teenage terror stage :rofl: and the crate is the only place I can leave him and know he'll still be there when I get back. He is very good at opening things by throwing himself against them :laugh::rofl::rofl: so now they both sleep in crates.

I am also about to demolishing my laundry in a few months and we will be camping in the lounge/dining/kitchen :laugh: I love camping at home :laugh:

Happy puppy hunting and ask people here about the toy breeds. As bikle said, some of them can be a bit wild you need to make sure you get the right one to suit you. :rofl:

Also, rescue greyhounds make perfect apartment dogs. Do a search on them and you'll find heaps of info.

---------------

Edit for missing words!

Edited by BellasPerson

I have used a pen from day one of getting my Japanese Spitz. I also had a pig in mud doggy door installed and a ramp built so he could access the backyard to play and go toilet. Any areas outside that he wasn't allowed in I fenced off with chicken wire.

For bedtime, I had to take down the pen and set it up in our bathroom (b/c he perfers tiles than carpet) and he slept in there with no problems at all.

My boy is 6mths old now and I still use the pen when I go to work. He isn't bothered by it at all and it has prevented him from chewing and destroying things he shouldn't.

I also leave him out of the pen when we go out for short periods of time and come home to find everything intact so I am very pleased with how things are going.

I bought mine from Go-Lo for $20 which is better than paying $100+ for somthing similar!

**BellaBaby** Posted 13th Sep 2006 - 02:31 PM

I'll describe my image for you. It's a wire crate with a cardboard box in the front filled with blankets and an old pillow. In the back, there's a tray full of the things I'll need when the pup arrives (brush, comb, shampoo, nail clippers, collar, lead, dish etc.)

There's a second box on the top of the crate with a handmade wollen blanket () in it that has all four sides so that she can't escape whilst travelling home. I say all four sides, because the one in the crate has had the front cut out of it so she can climb in and out...

:rofl: BellaBaby, your pup will probably have the cardboard box for dinner :p I got Cleo a cane bed when she first came home. After a month, she only had half a bed left :laugh: So, I got her one of those nice soft donut shaped ones which she loves to death :laugh: Infact, she loved it so much the first few weeks, she didn't even ask to sleep in bed with me :laugh:

:rofl: BellaBaby, your pup will probably have the cardboard box for dinner :p I got Cleo a cane bed when she first came home. After a month, she only had half a bed left :rofl: So, I got her one of those nice soft donut shaped ones which she loves to death :laugh: Infact, she loved it so much the first few weeks, she didn't even ask to sleep in bed with me :rofl:

That's why I chose the cardboard box...so it was inexpensive to replace :laugh::rofl: :p

Oh well, if that's the worst of my worries, I'll be more than happy ;)

Edited for brain fry :laugh:

Edited by **BellaBaby**

Hi Bella

I cannot see your pic as it says its been removed, but thanks anyway!

regarding the poodle.. i dont mind putting in the work.... thats what its about :laugh: i like the breed have done research have gone to shows and grooming is no issue i have a few in my area which makes it easier for me. daily brushin etc can be done at night when we are relaxing at home

I am a long way off from buying one at this point but i like this forum and reading posts etc

When i have a question i like adding posts to find out answers to them

At the risk of getting you I thought you weren't meant to give a pup a can bed b/c it was dangerous to the roof of their mouth as it could splinter?

And giving knitted blankets to puppies can cause their little nails to become hooked into it :rofl:

There are so many schools of thought :D The main thing is just to make sure what you are doing is the right thing for YOUR puppy :laugh:

If you are intending to show your toy dog, it is next to essential that he/she gets used to a crate. ;) If you spend ages grooming your little one for a show, the last thing you want is the coat to get all messy and dirty before you go in the ring ;) Of course, you take puppy to the toilet, (a lot of people at shows use PENS for this purpose!) but the rest of the time, the little one will stay high and dry and CLEAN in a crate or show trolley:thumbsup: :rofl:

It is also convenient in a show envirionment as you can ensure your dog is safe and wander off to the canteen for lunch, go to the loo yourself, check where they are up to in the ring etc :eek: (I always make sure there is still someone watching the dog in case something goes wrong or strangers/general public try to stick their fingers in etc :rofl: ) but yes, essential that your pup is crate trained for showing purposes :mad

Curious,

My setting is just like Bikle's except that my play pen is metal and is set up in one part of the kitchen, it doesn't look too ridiculous that way. I also don't move it around much, pup sleeps in kitchen.

I tied a few small bricks to the side of the pen to keep it from moving too much. My pup is a big hyper pup so sometimes when she's playing rough, the pen tend to shift a little in position. The playpen is doing ok for me so far, pup doesn't go toilet inside it, only two accidents.

Personally I chose a playpen because there's more space for pup to stretch her legs when I'm out of the house or too busy. When I'm around watching, she have free access to the yard and the kitchen. If I can afford it, I'd probably buy a crate too and put inside the playpen, best of both worlds that way. I also don't move the pen nor allow pup to sleep with/near me since day one. Now she is very used to being alone.

Playpen have it's limits, it's big enough for pup to move but being too big, pup might go toilet in the pen away from the bed.

Hope that helps.

edited some typo errors.

Edited by flycow

Hi Curious

We have a puppy here ad we have used a crate. Since she is a Boarder Collie x we got Lilly a large crate, with her own mattress and its covered.We have it set up in the loungeroom, but once she is a little older she will be moved to our youngest daughters room cause that is who she belongs to. Bedding is at the back of the crate, water and newspaper at the front for those just incase accidents but that hasn't happend since her 2nd night in the crate.We just make sure she is toileted before we go to bed.

Lilly isn't crated through the day at all anymore ( she is 15 weeks) but to begin with her down time was always in the crate.I was unsure as well so posted and got a lots of help for DOLers too. Now, when she is tired she will nap where ever she happens to be at the time, but at night after her last toilet session ( usually 11-12pm) we put her to bed after a cuddle and then close the door till we get up at 7.30-8.30am.No problems, no whining, she knows its bedtime and goes to sleep.Its her safe place.

The next time we hear her is when its time for us to get up anyway.

Someone is home 95% of the time so we have an area penned off just outside the front door of the kids end of the house( an area of about 25x25 feet). That door is always open so the dogs can come and go inside and out as they please(except at night I always supervise as Gemima tends to bark a lot at night if I am not there, and i don't want the cats to get out at night.)

Only when we have to leave her at home for a few hours do we crate her through the day.

I found it to be the best thing we bought.

Edited by ~Harminee~