Tattooing

vanessa0305

When Bailey gets desexed at 6 months he will also have his dew claws removed and the vet wants to tattoo his nose. I have never heard of this before. It it safe? Will it hurt him (I know he will be under when he gets it done but I mean afterwards) what will stop him licking it and making in become a sore?

Thanks in advance

Vanessa, I gather that Bailey's nose is all or partially pink? The tatooing is done as a cancer preventative - I know its quite common with cats, but I haven't heard of it on a dog before.

A bit of TLC should prevent it becoming a mess after the op. As he will be under anaesthetic, he won't feel a thing.

Hey, humans have it done every day - fully awake!! :laugh:

My tattooist did a dog once as a cancer preventative

There are many views on whether or not it is effective

I guess bepanthen would work, like it does on humans, but would be hard to stop him licking it

I would imagine that their noses would be pretty sensitive (I have my eyeliner done and it was pretty painful, but I was awake for it!)

Edited by shoemonster

I have my eyeliner done and it was pretty painful, but I was awake for it!

try eyebrows and eyeliner in one sitting! then i was allregic to bepanthen so i got infected. now it's healed was well worth it, shower and out the door in 15mins!

[sorry that was completely off topic!]

I wouldn't get your puppy's nose tattooed :mad

I think - and this is only my opinion - that it is uneccessary and is a fallacy that it will prevent skin cancer. Sunscreen will prevent skin cancer :laugh: Tattooing will make the nose look all black and nothing more :eek:

If tattooing with INK prevented skin cancer - don't you think we'd all be wearing ink ??:D

Thanks for the info. I was really quite worried about it. All I could think of was how sore my tattoo was after it was done (it hurt more a day or so later then it did when it was done) and how easily it would become a mess if he was licking it all the time. To tell the truth I am hopeing his nose will become all black not only for his safety in cancer prevention but also so I don't have to front up to my vet and say....nah going against your advice and not having it done....I am a bit of a chicken when it comes to those sorts of things!

I would go with sunscreen... I'd be wary of tattooing my pups nose, with all the licking etc. Also, I don't think inking skin has anything to do with lowering skin cancer risk, as it doesn't change the level of melolin in the skin, which is why paler skin burns easier.

I'm also guessing it is an expensive procedure... money probably better spent elsewhere, unless your vet can prove without a doubt (studies done etc) that it works...

:D Sorry, just thinking of our very pink nosed pony going in for a little nose tattooing! :( Think I'll stick with sunscreen & nose guard :thumbsup:

My Cav has a few white spots on his nose, too. As he is getting older (he's 14 weeks) i've noticed the white spots are disappearing. Bailey's may go away as he grows also? I probably would steer clear of tatooing still.

Yes, sometimes pigmentation takes a while to come through - I've recently seen this happen with a pale gold puppy with a pink nose - it turned black with 3 months :D

Also there is something known as "Winternose" where the nose goes a pinky colour in Winter weather but by Summer, it is black again. :thumbsup:

Edited to add: if you intend to show this puppy, you would need to tattoo - full pigmentation is desirable in most breeds for the showring.

Edited by t-time

t-time, thanks for the info, I too see Baileys nose starting to lose more of the pink. We thought long and hard about showing but have decided that Bailey is a pet and we wont be showing him or breeding him. This is why we spoke to our vet about desexing and this is when the vet told us he wanted to tattoo Baileys nose!

Interesting....I have a Tatt and they say to keep it out of the sun as it will fade....so wouldn't you need to do this procedure a number of times in the dogs life span?

How about getting pooch used to getting Zinc put on it's nose? Doesn't taste nice either.

Vanessa, my vet wouldn't remove Mitchis dew claws today when she was desexed becasue they were attached properly and he didn't think they would be a problem.

Are Baileys causiing a concern or the vet just said he would remove them?

Try googling natural skin pigmentation in dogs or something like that. I have heard giving kelp powder helps the nose pigment up, but I don't know if that's a fallacy.

I wouldn't tattoo either, I think you'd need to see some scientific evidence that it actually works.

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Yes, Border Collie people will recommend kelp powder - supposed to help deepen pigment in eyes and nose. I gave it to my two for their first 12 months or so - a teaspoon or so with their food. Don't know if it works, but I don't think it can do any harm - though you may want to check that.

And yes, I'd go with sunscreen - there's one formulated for dogs. I'd also thought that tattooing was cosmetic only.

my vet said they remove all rear dew claws unless requested not to but only the front ones if they cause trouble.

"They" remove all rear dew claws? Sorry but that doesn't wash well with me. My Millie has quite pronounced rear dew claws which I spoke to my vet at work about and her opinion was to leave them alone unless they start to cause problems which they shouldn't. If Millie had been a working dog then sure, but I would be hesitant otherwise. Sometimes dew claw removal can be an involved surgery and personally I think it unneccesary for aesthetic reasons.

Millie also had pink pigmentation when she came to us at 8 weeks - it was quite a lot too, one side of her nose - and I think it was within a month, her nose went completely black. If you're noticing Baileys nose is getting more black each day then fingers crossed it continue. I too wouldn't get his nose tattooed.