Need A Dry Food With No Chicken Or Pork

bowser

My problem child (Austin) has recently been diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease (after months of 2am vomits and toxic farts). Through a process of elimination I have figured out that he is allergic to chicken and pork (and possibly other things too). At the moment he is existing on a diet of beef mince cooked up with plain white rice. He likes things that are crunchy, so I would like to be able to re-introduce some kibble at some point in the future.

Today I checked out a couple of the expensive brands of food (science diet, eukanuba etc) that claimed to be 'beef and rice' and 'lamb and rice' but every single food I looked at has chicken or 'poultry fat' as one of the ingredients.

I don't like my chances of finding anything, but does anyone know if such a kibble exists?

Could someone with eagle pack please check the ingredients to see if the beef one has chicken in it?

And do any treats exist that are mainly beef without chicken or pork added? I made a batch of beef jerky type stuff by baking chunks of casserole beef but they take forever to make.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ta.

Edited to add: I know I could do BARF, but at this point he is only allowed to have a very bland diet so no veggies, and bones make him very stinky so I don't like giving them every day.

Edited by bowser

the holistic products have them with no chicken meal although they have them with chicken fat. Don't know if that woudl be a problem. One didn't have any chicken/chicken fat though, it was anchovy and salmon or something like that.

try this website as well

www.naturapet.com

it lists all the ingredients in the products that it manufacturers. I know that I can get Innova and California Natural in the new pet shop in town and I live in a country town (it isn't a Pets paradise - Pet Food Direct I think it is called so hope not affiliated) and there were some products that didn't have chicken in them.

good luck

good luck with this one as July 2005 I lost my Champion Rough Collie to IBD, just 2 weeks shy of her 8th birthday.I miss her so much :thumbsup: . Has your pooch had endoscopy to confirm the IBD?

Have you looked at Eagle Pack Holistic Duck and Oatmeal- it is specially designed as a hypoallergenic food?have a look at the eaglepack site as it does list all the ingredients

I give my Cavalier the Eagle Pack Holistic Lamb and Oatmeal or the Natural which is also Lamb based.She was having the yellow foamy poos from chicken and the 12.30 am vomits from turkey. She is doing very well on these.

The pet shop has also just given me a sample of Holistic Anchovy,Sardine and Salmon with Oatmeal...so we'll see how that goes. It doesn't look as though it has any chicken fat at all-although I may need to get my glasses to see the ingredients better LOL.

There are also treats called Ziwi that are lamb based or venison. Expensive but good.

PM if you need any other info.

Hope one of the above is suitable. Otherwise, it may be worth checking out Farrells Kibble - used by lots of greyhound breeders, and I don't think it has any chicken. I don't feed it, so don't know.

If you can't find one, have you thought about giving him a carrot to chew? Don't laugh!! They often like them, and with meaty bones (if they are ok), do fulfill the need to "crunch"

He loves carrot, the problem is that we are in the elimination phase of his diet. We're in week three of four weeks of feeding nothing but beef and rice. He LOVES his vegies but we will have to reintroduce them one variety at a time to see if any of them are contributing to the problem.

We haven't had any scoping done. The diet change was the first step, if this didn't work we were going to try other things like antibiotics and other medication.

I will check out the websites that people have given - thanks! So far I've been able to keep the hubby quiet by keeping this whole exercise fairly cheap (buying mince on special, etc), but I'm sure there will be much whinging if and when I find a kibble to buy, as I'm sure it won't be cheap.

Damn stupid husbands who whinge about spending money on dogs... grrr... isn't that what a pay check is for? :thumbsup:

Ok, so I've checked it out and it looks like the following foods would be ok:

* Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach (Salmon and Rice based)

* ROYAL CANIN Veterinary Diet canine potato and duck formula and canine potato and venison

* Natura Pet Lamb and Rice

* Eagle Pack Holistic Select® Anchovy, Sardine & Salmon Meal Formula

All the other Eagle Pack Holistic foods seem to have chicken fat in them.

One thing I found out though is that most of the Eagle Pack foods have Aspergillus fungus in them. I was of the understanding that aspergillus fungus was a really bad thing as dogs who get it in their nasal cavities can have major problems. I will have to ask my favourite vet about that one and get back to you all...

Thanks again everyone :thumbsup:

Be careful to read the ingredients list THOROUGHLY, Proplan Salmon and Rice in fact contains animal fat, but they dont inidcate which one. It also containe maize gluten, wheat and maize (i.e. corn).

Whilst Nutro do make a Lamb and Rice formula, it again contains poultry fat, as do many others.

My understanding of the poultry fat is that it is an insignificant amount.

Please pm if you would like a further investigation of the amount of poultry fat.

One thing I found out though is that most of the Eagle Pack foods have Aspergillus fungus in them. I was of the understanding that aspergillus fungus was a really bad thing as dogs who get it in their nasal cavities can have major problems. I will have to ask my favourite vet about that one and get back to you all...

Sorry if I appear amazingly thick, but is aspergillus fungus listed as one of the ingredients? Or have you discovered it in the food?

I don't think it's very good for dogs either.

You could try ZiwiPeak, all natural air dried raw food from NZ.

No Fillers at all.

•Ingredients

::Venision

::Lamb

::Beef

::NZ Mussel

::Liver, Heart and Kidney

::Chicory Syrup

::Lecithin

::Fish / Hoki Oil

::Parsley

::Green Tripe

::Flaxseed Oil

::Kelp

::Vitamins and Minerals

I use it myself, dog loves it and is looking good.

http://www.ziwipeak.com/aboutus.php

The aspergillus is listed as an ingredient, which is what shocked me.

At the end of the list it has "Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Enterococcus faecium, B. subtilus, Bacillus licheniformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae, and Aspergillus niger."

I'm sure there isn't much of it in the food, but why put it in there at all if it is known to be a harmful fungus?

My Bob has food intolerances and also a very low tolerance to fat, so I haven't been able to find a dry food that he can eat. I make his food; rabbit, rice, sweet potato and green beans and make his dog bikkies and treats out of the same ingredients. Rice flour and sweet potato make nice crunchy bikkies. Another recipe I was given but haven't tried it yet was cooked rice, rice flour a bit of olive oil, mix it up, then add vegetable stock and make into bikkies. Because you are in the elimination diet phase of your dog's diet you could just use beef and rice flour to make bikkies.