Golden Retriever Pups And Digging Problems

Mel_c

We are buying a golden retriever pup soon and every time i tell someone we are getting a golden, they say that they will ruin our garden and say they are really destructive. i am a little worried as quite a few people have said this to me. we have just laid new turf in our backyard, but have no plants as yet (but we will have soon). what can i do to stop the new pup from digging and destroying our backyard?? Thanks!! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately it is a side effect from having a dog!! I don't think any dog (well puppy) owners have immaculate backyards!! lol

As Nekhbet said, toys and sand pits will help keep the boredom to a minimum but I suggest you buy some hardly plants!!

Even as an adult our dog wouldn't dig whilst we were home but delighted in making a few when we left. But hardy plants helped minimise the damage. I also found raised garden beds better as it acted as 'somewhat' of a deterrant.

Maybe fence off the areas you really don't want the pup to dig in. You are likely to get a few holes as pups of any breed do love to dig :D

I am lucky my OH is not fussed about the condition of grass or the yard :thumbsup:

He is starting his vegie patch at the front where the dogs don't have access.

I think I've used every "piss off" product on the mafket and I haven't had any luck with them.

If you are planting trees put a wire guard or fence around them. A new garden may need to be fenced also.

In summer dogs will often dig a hole to cool off in so let the dog have their own area.

They love manure and blood and bone so will nearly always dig where this is fresh.

Great ideas about giving the pup it's own sand pit and wading pool.

Good Luck.

Congrats on the decision to bring a golden puppy in to your home. I have two GR's- one is a huge digger the other wouldnt dig to save her life! We found she would dig holes in the yard after any rain we had, or in our freshly dug garden beds - but a low (30cm)chicken mesh fence and some bamboo stakes work well to keep them out of the garden. We addressed Megs digging by giving her a "sandpit" just for her to dig in, actually she claimed the kids sandpit (but they were happy for her to have it) and whilst she had the sandpit to dig in we had no holes in the yard at all.... I have since placed our bird aviary over the sandpit and we have holes popping up everywhere again .... with summer coming soon I will be buying one of those plastic clamshell pools for the dogs and filling one side with water and the other sand.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice!! i think a sand pit, wading pool and fencing off the gardens sound like good ideas. hopefully they will work as my partner loves his new turf and would hate to see it too dug up!! as for me... the digging doesn't worry me as much, i just want my pup to be happy and not too bored while we are at work everyday!! :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for the great advice!! i think a sand pit, wading pool and fencing off the gardens sound like good ideas. hopefully they will work as my partner loves his new turf and would hate to see it too dug up!! as for me... the digging doesn't worry me as much, i just want my pup to be happy and not too bored while we are at work everyday!! :rofl:

A puppy left on its own all day, especially if it's a highly active breed, is very likely to get into everything. If your garden is very important to you DEFINITELY fence it off and make sure that it's secure fencing. It doesn't matter how many toys and distractions a puppy has, they will always get into something they shouldn't when left alone for extended periods of time. A puppy can totally wreck a garden in an hour, he'll probably be ok when he's very small, but they can turn into a bulldozer on legs when they get a little older.

Good luck :)